Myself and my partner had stayed at this hotel over 10 years ago when it was a best western. so we choose to return again but this time with our daughter.
I believe in giving a honest view after all this is what this site is for.
The location of the hotel is perfect for Bowness it was 10 mins walk to the resturants we used on both the Friday and Saturday evening.
Staff - faultless and could not do enough both reception, breakfast and general manger were helpful and polite
Breakfast was great, especially the fresh fruit which my daughter loved.
Unfortunately I feel the rooms are in much need of decoration/ updating. When we arrived on the Friday evening we were shown to our chalet room, which was a family room the bed was in a terrible condition I laid on it and there was no support at all we just sunk when we mentioned this to the receptionist we was instantly moved to another room (again the staff was very helpful and dealt with the matter ) the new room smelt foisty and damp and had wallpaper peeling from the walls, I thought the smell would go over time But it didn't the damp smelt the worse near the bedside table and no heating nor opening of windows would not clear the smell.
The next morning I approached the matter with the general manager who offered to moved us to another room. (Again I cannot stress the helpfulness ) When we returned from our day out this had been done the room was clean ( abeit a massive stain on the carpet ) but it did not smell which was good and the bed was comfy. And we had a far better nights sleep.
I recognise the bathrooms have been updated but I can't help but think that if the same applied to bedroom parts of the garden and chalet rooms then it would make the burn Howe perfect. We paid £300 for 2 nights stay which we feel was overpriced considering the state of the rooms
Once again cannot fault any of the staff.
Unfortunately I would not recommend this hotel (unless it has a big refurb)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This unique Lake District hotel only two minutes stroll from Lake Windermere and the village of Bowness, is an oasis of peace and tranquillity. The Burn How's unique layout is refreshingly different to most hotels; all of the bedrooms are located outside of the main building within the private grounds making the stay peaceful and relaxing for the discerning guest. You can take picturesque walks from the hotel, or cruise on Lake Windermere, and if you take the Post Knott walk and you find the hotels bench, bring back the inscription and you will have a drink on us. For the shopping magnets find a special Lakeland gift in the village only two minutes walk away. On your return from a full day, relax and meet friends or family in the congenial atmosphere of the lounge and bar, or on pleasant summers evening sit out on the patio and take in the beautiful surroundings. Relax in the comfort of your room choosing from modern chalet style to four poster or traditional bedrooms. Most have private sun terraces. All have ensuite bathrooms, colour televisions, telephones and hot beverages. Rooms on the ground floor have direct access to the rose garden and patio, with some having disabled facilities. There is ample free parking available. Experience English and French Cuisine made only from the freshest produce and served in the style in which Burn How Garden House Hotel is famous. Three courses and coffee is around £35.00 Per person. At the end of the day relax with family and friends in the congenial atmosphere of the lounge and bar or on a pleasant summers evening take in the beautiful surroundings of the patio and gardens. Shoppers and browsers will delight in the speciality stores and attractions in nearby Windermere and Bowness. Whilst a drive over the Hard Knott pass is for the courageous with its 1 in 3 and 2.5 Gradients - but the views are spectacular. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Ebookers and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your The Burn How Garden House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Burn How Hotel
- Best Western Bowness On Windermere
- Bowness-On-Windermere Best Western
- The Burn How Garden House Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District