“Awful Hotel, Falling to Pieces, Stinks. Avoid At All Costs!”

Windermere Hydro Hotel
Reviewed 2 September 2014

Where to begin... First things first, DO NOT STAY HERE! I would honestly have rather slept in my car. Quite how some people think this hotel is worth 5 out of 5 is completely beyond me. I can only assume that they are affiliated with the hotel or still living in the 1940's themselves. It is truly the worst place I have ever stayed in my life.

Upon arrival the alarm bells started ringing as even from the outside the hotel is very run down, with paint falling off, no double glazing etc. Inside it is even worse. I can only describe the smell as a cross between a hospital and an old peoples home. The decor is just as bad, at one point down the corridor which contains a toilet bowl... Seriously, I have no idea what they thought this added but at least it created a welcome distraction and a bit of light relief from the state of the hotel.

The bedrooms were just as bad, the 'double' bed was two singles shoved together and were as lumpy as bad mash potato. We had a Lake View room which was great but most of the time we couldn't see it due to the condensation that was almost constantly on the windows.

I will be writing to the hotel to complain and demand some of my money back. I would much rather stay in a Travelodge or a chain of that ilk as they are a haven by the standard of this joke of a place.

Do yourselves a favour do not stay here, we only did as it was a last minute booking and the only place in Bowness that had rooms. Now we know why!

Room Tip: My tip to choose a good room is to choose one somewhere else! I have stayed in some poor hotels, in...
3  Thank Robert W

Reviewed 2 September 2014

This hotel was awful. It was dirty and run down from the outside, but that wasn't as bad as inside. It smelled of damp and mould. It was dirty, the mattress had more craters than the moon and the food was terrible. To say I was ripped off with the price would be an understatement. That said, there was ample parking and the view from the front of the hotel was gorgeous - it would have been nice to see it from the room but there was too much condensation on the windows. I can't review the non existent service.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 September 2014 via mobile

The hotel is in need of tlc but the staff and food were excellent.The location certainly gets you fit. But the views are worth it. It was comfortable and quiet just what we needed. The drinks were not over priced.

1  Thank Geraldine N
Reviewed 30 August 2014 via mobile

I'm sorry to say this hotel is very scruffy and run down, and badly in need of decoration and maintenance. The owners obviously just don't care about the state of this hotel, which is a real shame because you can tell that it was once a very beautiful, grand house. Peeling paint, rotting windows and 1980's faded chintz decor just made it feel quite depressing. There is a pool and gym in a separate building but my husband was so grimmed out by our cramped horrible room (with a midget shower!) and the rest of the hotel, he refused to go and have a look. The breakfast was nice which is the only reason it gets 1 star. The receptionist was friendly but the rest of the staff were just abrupt and rude. We also did not appreciate housekeeping knocking on our door to clean our room at 9am when we didn't have to check out until 10.30am. We couldn't check out of there fast enough! Thank god we only stayed one night. Very disappointed - the website is very misleading and makes it look much nicer than it really is. You can probably guess from this review, but I don't recommend this hotel at all!

2  Thank warno911
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We were part of a small group (18) visiting/staying for just two nights, and with some trepidation for we had read previous reviews, most of which I have concluded were pure imagination - the Lakes do that for you!

We were warmly greeted by smiling staff on arrival, our rooms had been allocated and the keys were in the doors, there are lifts at strategic points for those of our party not so able and also assistance should you need it with baggage.

Our room was on the first floor, easily accessible and large with a sideways but spectacular view of the lake and mountains, clean if a little dated, the bathroom (with bath and shower) a little dark, the tiles! but all perfectly comfortable and very welcome after a day's travelling.
The double bed was enormous, twins put together, and very comfortable. Plenty of storage drawers and cupboards - everything was very nice (razor light didn't work but there is an enormous mirror over a dressing table in the room with plenty of electric sockets).

We had all meals as a group, perhaps for convenience of the staff but nice for us too. Dinner each night was included but was of a very good standard with a good choice - 4 starters, 4 mains and buffet (serve yourself sweets/cheese and biscuits) tea or coffee to follow; breakfast buffet to the standard of much bigger chain hotels like Holiday Inn or Premier Inn, vast quantities to suit the most discerning diners or greedy eat as much as you can people!

The staff were all very attentive without being intrusive and helpful to the extreme.

Entertainment, varied but seemed to offer what people staying wanted, bar prices were good and overall we enjoyed what was on offer. Wi-Fi is freely available in the public areas.

The hotel is well placed withing a ten minutes walk to the shoreline, steep hill coming back but there is a bus service to the gate of the hotel, and taxis are available coming back if you need them.

My only comment relates perhaps more to the financial climate where it is difficult for private hotels to afford the sort of refurbishment required, but for all that, we really enjoyed the Hydro, would recommend it and will return.

"Whisper" has it that a group/chain is interested in buying it, I hope they maintain the standards and the staff stay also.

Room Tip: Not all have lake views, but all were comfortable (I was assured by other guests)
2  Thank JohnPlant
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Stayed for two nights at The Hydro on a weekend break with 40 friends to celebrate my husbands 50th Birthday. We were looked after superbly and special thanks must go to Joe who went out of his way to sort out the music and made sure we were happy with everything. Nothing was too much trouble. The food was excellent and being a party of farmers they all have big appetites and enjoy their food. There is plenty of choice and everyone commented on how good the food was. I would definitely stay here again if I were to holiday in the area. Special thanks again to Joe & his staff.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms or rooms with a lake view
2  Thank ali652014
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here on a weekend break . The only positive thing I can say about the stay was the pool facilities. When booking the stay the staff were not very knowledgeable. The staff were not very helpful when asking for a later check out the very most that they offered was 30 mins and that seemed hard work for them. The room was so small, the bathroom you couldn't fit two people inside, it was terribly cold and when I put the radiator on it never came on. The window rattled all night also so not much sleep was had. The light fixing was also broke. A plus side was the gym and pool facilities very clean modern and quiet. The food at breakfast was good however the staff seemed to rush you along clearing plates as soon as I had put my knife and fork down. I wouldn't be as bothered but the money I paid seemed expensive for the service we received.

3  Thank SJE93
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Windermere Hydro Hotel? Share your experiences!