“Brilliant Hotel Under New Owners & It Shows”

Windermere Hydro Hotel
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Loved every minute of our week stay. Room spotless and excellently refurbished. Despite being inundated by a coach party arriving the receptionist was very proficient and helpful. As previous loved the sauna and pool gym etc. etc. which were spotless. Food very good I recommend the vegetarian Mushroom main course which is fantastic. Dining Room staff very proficient and helpful.

Only niggles bar more often than not unstaffed so we chose to drink out rather than have to keep chasing around for someone to serve us also I would have liked complimentary information on the views from the hotel and especially The fantastic Mountain Goat Mini Bus day tours around the area. Anyone who wants a mind blowing Lakes Tour ask for Peter Hudson (Mountain Goat Guide Extra Very Special) and book on his tour. Collect & Return to the hotel the best money you will ever spend.

I understand the hotel is under continuing renovation by its new owners me I love the place it has a genuine charm some of the room furniture may be old fashioned but it lends a warmth and style I love.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,077)

Reviewed 7 July 2009

My partner and I would like to say a big thank you to all the staff at the Hydro Hotel, I have never met such lovely and helpful people. They made our room up early for us, gave us a bigger room with balcony and lake view as we had two large dogs with us. On the Thursday of our stay (the hottest day of the year so far) they made every effort to find us a fan for our dogs as they were over heating even though there was only 2 available in the entire hotel. The only negative this hotel has it could do with a little modernisation but other than that it was wonderful. Thank you very much!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 June 2009

This hotel is beautiful. It is warm, cosy and incredibly welcoming. My girlfriend and I were fortunate to be given a room with a beautiful view, overlooking Bowness village and Lake Windermere.
After reading reviews on here I was initially sceptical, well to be honest I was terrified that we would have booked a place which would ruin a romantic weekend.
The exact opposite was the case. The hotel made the weekend romantic. I would most certainly recommend this hotel to anybody who wants a special weekend away in the most beautiful part of the country.
The location is ideal; literally 2 minutes walk into Bowness. There is a HUGE hill but what do you expect you are in the lakes...
The rooms were immaculately kept. They were not grand in stature but instead were warm and convivial, ideal for a couple to enjoy the surroundings. Large windows opened up to delightful views outside.
The service was brilliant; the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. I particularly like the question "would you like a paper delivered to your room in the morning?" this is a feature of the best international hotels and it is nice to see such good traits in the lakes.
The hotel exterior is charming and pleasant on the eyes as can be seen in some pictures.
On the way back from a walk in Bowness, my girlfriend and i were greeted by the manager/owner of the building (we didn’t know at the time) who was exceptionally friendly and came across as having genuine passion for the hotel and the history of the Hydro, this is easy to understand when he tells you the story behind it!
He recommended a place to eat; we took his advice and had a fantastic lunch at Lakeland.
We had breakfast at the hotel and it was pleasant, the service was excellent and the buffet style was welcomed as I could pick and choose as I wanted. There was plenty of good food on offer.
Overall this hotel presents excellent value for money, just today I have recommended it to a friend and will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Well... what can I say? From the outside of the hotel we were actually pleasantly surprised by the views and quiet luxurious location. On the inside however, I was disappointed by the disgusting appearance of the reception (bearing in mind it is the first part of the hotel you see upon entering). We were also unimpressed by the spiky haired English Barman who served us and noticeably pocketed the money we handed over to him. I shall be writing to the hotel manager about this in due course. The bedroom was to an unsatisfactory standard, although this was made up for by the inviting leisure facilities. The food was diabolical and i could envisage the type of food we feed our dogs whilst eating it. We will not be returning to the Hydro, purely as the alcohol prices and prices for the quality of the hotel bedrooms were extortionate in the first place, particularly as nothing was even put through the till when we purchased our drinks. We stayed in the bar for a reasonable time in order to ensure that the money was placed in the till-however, it was not. If you are after a nice quiet getaway, or a romantic getaway the hydro is not the place for you.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank simplythebest09
Reviewed 4 May 2009

As a 60+ person (ie with a free bus pass) it was great to stay at this friendly hotel for access to other towns and valleys using the frequent bus service. The hotel serves superb food and has great views. It was almost a pity that I was so occupied that I couldn't find time to use the health facilities!

Reviewed 26 March 2009

Residents menu changed one hour before meal, due to extra functions. Duty Manager asks if we expect him to go to the shops. Double room equals 2 single beds pushed together. Cooked breakfast cold. Ask for coffee, you get tea. Have to ask for milk seperately. Still waiting for a reply to written complaint. Use hotels frequently in UK and abroard, this is the closest I have come to Faulty towers without the humour.
Would not use this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank SteveHManchester
Reviewed 18 January 2009

Just returned from a night away at the Hydro Hotel in Bowness. After reading some reviews I can only say they didn't stay here!
The hotel is a little dated but made up by friendly / helpfulll staff.
Pool and tub superb and the breakfast was more than anyone can want.Even though the hotel was busy with a Murder Mystery Weekend on the staff still had time to chat and help out.
The room was upgraded for us and was the best room I've every stayed in. It had 2 seperate lounges over looking the lake!
What people have got to remember that this is the lake district and things are older and not the normal modernbland places that might offer more facilities but give me character anytime!

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Atkinsons2007
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#10 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
The Burn How Garden House Hotel
#4 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Windermere Hydro Hotel? Share your experiences!