“poor value for money . . . needs a lot or modernisation”

Windermere Hydro Hotel
Scotland
“poor value for money . . . needs a lot or modernisation”
Reviewed 16 September 2009

We phoned enquiring about a family room & staff recommended one with an alcove with bunk beds. Admittedly she pointed out it did not have a lake view but failed to mention that the 'view' from both windows was into what can only be described as a vennel which was so overgrown you could not see daylight. The layout of the room was good and it was clean, but very dark and very old fashioned. I agree with previous comment about poor quality toiletries etc, especially when there are some fantastic local shops which sell local products. Bar could have been good if you could ever have found the bar staff ! Breakfast was sufficient but when paying £150 per night I expected a lot more- i.e. fresh bread/rolls, pastries and tea which actually tasted like tea! Spa was a bonus but also in need of a good steam clean around the tiles etc. High point was the location but think next time I'll try the Angel Inn which was nearby and looked stunning.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Liverpool
Reviewed 2 September 2009

Only stayed for one night with my husband, 13 yr old son and our little dog Ruby. I booked online, so it was really easy. Pleasant reception staff, did not quibble about the dog, stayed in a room at the top of the hotel over looking the lake which was nice. Lots of American and Japanese tourists stayed there. So be aware of the amount of coaches running outside! Although this was the high season so it was very busy. We used the leisure facilities which were very nice, breakfast was good, ideal for a short stay!!

1 Thank jenny8
wales
Reviewed 10 August 2009

Room old fashioned with blankets on beds and dated look. Windows single glazed and so rotten they were about to fall off - you could hear all the people walking back up the road from town after hours. Bathroom had been refurbished well and had a good shower but cheap and nasty shampoo/bath foam packets. Noisy pipes and radiator and you could hear all other guests in rooms surrounding ours including the domestic argument upstairs at 2.20am which resulted in the police being called. Other guests complained of cold showers and noisy pipes which kept them awake. On the plus side the rooms were very clean and tidy, the staff friendly and the breakfast good. It's 2 minutes walk to the centre of Bowness which is also nice. Hotel mainly used by foreign bus tours from what we could gather and the odd stag/hen party. The place needs a big injection of cash to modernise the 'faded grandeur' look. Maybe the luxury rooms with balconies facing the lake are better? Would I return? No, I like to have a good nights sleep.

1 Thank 1234Wales

Travellers are raving about these Bowness-on-Windermere hotels

Macclesfield
Reviewed 7 August 2009

Loved every minute of our week stay. Room spotless and excellently refurbished. Despite being inundated by a coach party arriving the receptionist was very proficient and helpful. As previous loved the sauna and pool gym etc. etc. which were spotless. Food very good I recommend the vegetarian Mushroom main course which is fantastic. Dining Room staff very proficient and helpful.

Only niggles bar more often than not unstaffed so we chose to drink out rather than have to keep chasing around for someone to serve us also I would have liked complimentary information on the views from the hotel and especially The fantastic Mountain Goat Mini Bus day tours around the area. Anyone who wants a mind blowing Lakes Tour ask for Peter Hudson (Mountain Goat Guide Extra Very Special) and book on his tour. Collect & Return to the hotel the best money you will ever spend.

I understand the hotel is under continuing renovation by its new owners me I love the place it has a genuine charm some of the room furniture may be old fashioned but it lends a warmth and style I love.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
Nottingham
Reviewed 7 July 2009

My partner and I would like to say a big thank you to all the staff at the Hydro Hotel, I have never met such lovely and helpful people. They made our room up early for us, gave us a bigger room with balcony and lake view as we had two large dogs with us. On the Thursday of our stay (the hottest day of the year so far) they made every effort to find us a fan for our dogs as they were over heating even though there was only 2 available in the entire hotel. The only negative this hotel has it could do with a little modernisation but other than that it was wonderful. Thank you very much!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Wigan
Reviewed 21 June 2009

This hotel is beautiful. It is warm, cosy and incredibly welcoming. My girlfriend and I were fortunate to be given a room with a beautiful view, overlooking Bowness village and Lake Windermere.
After reading reviews on here I was initially sceptical, well to be honest I was terrified that we would have booked a place which would ruin a romantic weekend.
The exact opposite was the case. The hotel made the weekend romantic. I would most certainly recommend this hotel to anybody who wants a special weekend away in the most beautiful part of the country.
The location is ideal; literally 2 minutes walk into Bowness. There is a HUGE hill but what do you expect you are in the lakes...
The rooms were immaculately kept. They were not grand in stature but instead were warm and convivial, ideal for a couple to enjoy the surroundings. Large windows opened up to delightful views outside.
The service was brilliant; the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. I particularly like the question "would you like a paper delivered to your room in the morning?" this is a feature of the best international hotels and it is nice to see such good traits in the lakes.
The hotel exterior is charming and pleasant on the eyes as can be seen in some pictures.
On the way back from a walk in Bowness, my girlfriend and i were greeted by the manager/owner of the building (we didn’t know at the time) who was exceptionally friendly and came across as having genuine passion for the hotel and the history of the Hydro, this is easy to understand when he tells you the story behind it!
He recommended a place to eat; we took his advice and had a fantastic lunch at Lakeland.
We had breakfast at the hotel and it was pleasant, the service was excellent and the buffet style was welcomed as I could pick and choose as I wanted. There was plenty of good food on offer.
Overall this hotel presents excellent value for money, just today I have recommended it to a friend and will definitely be going back.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
manchester
Reviewed 7 June 2009

Well... what can I say? From the outside of the hotel we were actually pleasantly surprised by the views and quiet luxurious location. On the inside however, I was disappointed by the disgusting appearance of the reception (bearing in mind it is the first part of the hotel you see upon entering). We were also unimpressed by the spiky haired English Barman who served us and noticeably pocketed the money we handed over to him. I shall be writing to the hotel manager about this in due course. The bedroom was to an unsatisfactory standard, although this was made up for by the inviting leisure facilities. The food was diabolical and i could envisage the type of food we feed our dogs whilst eating it. We will not be returning to the Hydro, purely as the alcohol prices and prices for the quality of the hotel bedrooms were extortionate in the first place, particularly as nothing was even put through the till when we purchased our drinks. We stayed in the bar for a reasonable time in order to ensure that the money was placed in the till-however, it was not. If you are after a nice quiet getaway, or a romantic getaway the hydro is not the place for you.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank simplythebest09
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier Collection
The Burnside Hotel, BW Premier C...
#8 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Ryebeck
The Ryebeck
#3 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Windermere Hydro Hotel? Share your experiences!