“We'll be back” 5 of 5 bubbles

Blenheim Lodge
Malta Europe
“We'll be back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2010

As soon as we rang the bell, Robert opened door and greeted my wife by name. The host's personal welcome during that initial split-second set the tone for the whole 5 days' stay.

The location has been described adequately. Some seem to have found the street leading to BL rather steep. I am unfit and middle aged but even after a late evening snack down at the Hylton's, I had no difficulty crawling up at all ! Because it is up on a hill, the views are unrivalled. And I knew that it was on a hill because research before I left home revealed that the word Blenheim ( two words joined into one) mean the house at the summit in the Cumbrian language.

We used BL as a base to drive around the Lake District - there is so much to explore and we left out so much ! We need to return - and this time concentrate on some (easy ) walks.

Robert and Janz really know the area and directed us every morning (Janz also knows ALL about the shopping in Bowness and Windermere ! ).

Breakfast: menu and time are written the evening before. When you come down at the appointed time there is no waiting. The quality of the hand-picked ingredients and the way all was cooked to our individual taste was the best start for the day. The memory of it all makes my mouth water even as I'm writing this.

The furniture: I hate mass-produced hotel room furniture. I love genuine antiques and my wife particularly likes four-poster beds. We were both satisfied 100%. Private Facilities were 100% modern of course !

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
surpise, management representative at Blenheim Lodge, responded to this review, 10 March 2010
Ah! Where to start? We so much enjoyed having you both with us. It was a pleasure to sit and chat and get to know each other, which is something that we enjoy doing with our guests who come again and again. Isn't it wonderful that when strangers get to know each other, they find so much in common? It was interesting to find out that we all enjoyed trying new foods, experiencing other cultures and historical sites, amongst other things. Our aim is to make our guests feel so welcome, that they will take pleasure in our place as their 'home from home'. It is good to know when we succeed because we genuinely want our guests to relax and feel that they are truly welcome.

The location of Blenheim Lodge is just ideal, isn't it? As you say, it is at the top of the hill with unrivalled spectacular Lake, mountain and woodland views. Yet, despite the idyllic 'away from it all' feeling that guests experience when they are with us, Blenheim Lodge is just so close to the town centre, that it is only a 2-minute walk down the hill, albeit a 5-minute walk back up. The peacefulness that comes from being away from the traffic and crowds on the main roads is great for a those who want a quiet retreat.

As you found out, Blenheim Lodge is well placed for touring around the Lake District. We are in the heart of the Lakes, with other nearby villages and towns as close as just one mile from us, with the furthest Cumbrian towns and Carlise city just an hour or so from us. However, as you say, there is such alot still to see. We have repeat guests who have stayed with us between one to three weeks at a time - and of course we offer great discounts for such long stays - who continue to explore places new to them when they return each time.

Reading your comment about shopping, what can I say, but that the Lakes offer a nice variety of shops that are not always found in the large cities. In Bowness as well as the surrounding villages, there are little shops selling unique items and people do love to come here to shop for Christmas gifts. By the way, I am pleased that you enjoyed the breakfasts, especially because I know that in Malta you have the freshest of ingredients and really good food. It is a compliment indeed!

Like you, we prefer furniture that is not mass produced and characterless. I remember that you specifically asked for a four-poster as your wife wanted the experience of sleeping in one - so a lovely antique four-poster room with panoramic lake views you got. As you said, the facilities were modern of course - luxury pocket sprung mattress on the kingsize bed, flat screen tv, good power shower, etc. We are delighted that you were both 100% satisfied, and look forward to seeing you again next year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Preston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2010

Janz is a lovely woman, unlike in some horrible reviews stating her to be stressed and unwelcoming, I would say the total opposite! She instantly greeted me and my partner as we pulled up and to my partners delight offered us a cup of tea, maybe simple but it was all that was needed to win her heart over, nothing beats a good brew! She seemed a little nervous, but definitely not stressed.

As for the rooms, they are old yes, but that is what adds the character, its not like the place was dank and dusty, it was a gorgeous antique setting (with modern bathroom haha), kingsize antique solid bed and beautiful wardrobe! The view from our room was AMAZING! Bearing in mind to see a great view you gotta be high up, and high up involves a steep hill! But who cares??? We drove up it easy enough and my car is 16 years old! Even the walk up is manageable and my partner has asthma.

The food was great, there is nothing better than a full english breakfast, but if that isnt to your liking there is a choice of at least 4 different cereals and a constant supply of toast should you be peckish, or you could mix and match from the choices of the full english!

Overall I see no problem in saying this place was perfect and we would definitely visit again, thankyou to both of you for a great nights stay!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
surpise, manager representative at Blenheim Lodge, responded to this review, 5 March 2010
Hello Phil
Many thanks for your kind remarks! We love to welcome our guests with a cuppa, as it is always tiring to travel, and, as you say, 'nothing beats a good brew' - in this case, of Twinings tea, which is also what we use in the breakfast room. Did you get my email thanking you both for coming to stay? We really enjoyed having you here and instead of feeling stressed, we were most happy to welcome you both here indeed!

I am so glad that you enjoyed staying in The Fairfield room, which is our largest bedroom in the house. We commissioned a Laura Ashley interior designer to help with the colour scheme and soft furnishings, and as a result, she advised a dramatic deep burgundy velvet for the long floor length curtains which really enhance the huge triple floor to ceiling bay windows which frame so perfectly those spectacular Lake Windermere views from the room! The soft furnishings and furniture fit in beautifully with the character of this 1868 former gentleman's residence, and it is great to find that others appreciate the gentle genteel ambiance that they create too.

I am also so pleased that you liked the furniture. We spent ages trying to decide what we should buy when we were doing up the room as we wanted quality, character and comfort for our guests to enjoy. In the end, we decided to go for a solid mahogany Louis suite with kingsize bed as I really loved the intricate wood carving detail, especially on the huge wardrobe and bed. We also put in an antique daybed in the 7-foot wide windows so that guests can laze on the daybed and enjoy the fantastic Lake and mountain views, and we are just delighted that you were able to make use of it for your enjoyment! To make the room even more comfortable for our guests, we decided to splash out on a luxury pocket sprung mattress from the upmarket bed shop, And So To Bed, and had the walk in Kudos shower fitted, along with the beautiful bathroom cabinet and other bathroom fittings. And we are just so delighted that you enjoyed using the facilities in the room so much that you have mentioned them.

Well, we always like to feed our guests up - but only with quality products, such as locally produced handmade sausage and bacon, fresh eggs and milk delivered to our door daily and other goodies. Many people love our breakfasts, which are always cooked fresh to order, and I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfasts at our place. Guests can also choose from other breakfast choices, such as croissant and muffin, various styles of eggs and other vegetarian choices.

It is good to see that you both thought that what you received was worth every penny you paid. We try to offer best value for money, so though we are not the cheapest place around, we do go the extra mile with the things that one cannot see in the photos - such as comfortable deep pocket sprung mattresses, wool carpets, luxury Dormer bedding, thick bathsheets and handtowels etc. These little things count too, and help to make a stay more enjoyable.

We are looking forward to having you both back with us again. During certain times of the year, we offer discounts and free upgrades, which mean that guests get even better value for money. And, of course, throughout the year, we always have highly discounted weekly rates, which often equate to at least £30-£70 savings per person when booking at least 7 nights B&B. Perhaps you might like to take advantage of some of these offers?
Sheffield, England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2010

I booked the weekend away as a present for my boyfriend's 21st birthday; I wanted something different, relaxing and a weekend that he would remember for a long time. The hotel was lovely, the room we stayed in was beautiful, with a four poster bed that tipped it for me! Janz and Robert were incredibly hospitable, I haven't been anywhere where the hotel owners were more friendly and welcoming than they were.
The weather was beautiful on the Saturday, and my boyfirned and I went for an 8 mile walk on the other side of the lake! Janz met us in the hall upon our return and provided a cup or tea that was sorely needed and very much appreciated!
We went on the Sail n Dine boat trip on the Sunday, which was absolutely incredible; my boyfirend and I both claim it was one of the best expereinces we have ever had. John, the skipper and chef, was so friendly, and it was a really lovely afternoon, even the overcast weather didn't spoil a thing. A superb meal, lots of wine, brilliant company, and breathtaking scenery made it a day to remember.

All in all, a fantastic weekend, and we will definitely be going back. We even got used to the mega hill after trekking up it a few times!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
surpise, management respresentative at Blenheim Lodge, responded to this review, 19 February 2010
Hello Bek!

Thank you so much for a friendly review. We are so glad that your boyfriend enjoyed a 21st birthday to remember, as turning 21 is such a milestone! Thank you for giving us a chance to share this special time with you both.

We are really pleased that you loved the four-poster room that you chose, The Coniston, and found it comfortable and relaxing. It was a joy to see such enthusiasm from you both as you took advantage of what the Lake District has to offer - walking, sailing, local foods and last, but hopefully not least, our hospitality. We are thrilled that you both enjoyed the dinner cruise that we organised for you and thank you for letting us know that you appreciate the little homely gestures, like a welcoming pot of tea after a long walk. I should have reminded you to walk the five minutes up from Bowness centre via the gentle slope instead of the steep one to our house.

Your review has made me chuckle with pleasure as I recall how you and I both tried to create a birthday surprise for your boyfriend with luxury chocolate truffles and champagne. The cloak and dagger stuff was so much in danger of being ripped apart, but we are so glad that he got a nice surprise in the end. Robert and I do so enjoy having people to stay for special events like birthdays, honeymoons, and anniversaries, and are just happy that we managed to make your weekend memorable in the nicest of ways!

Over the years, we have had engagements, anniversaries, birthdays, family gatherings etc at our place and we just love sharing the serenity and beauty of our surroundings and our home with guests who will appreciate what we have to offer. The romantic dinner cruise package you enjoyed can now also be tailored to offer an exclusive dinner cruise just for one couple or party along with a bed and breakfast stay at our guest house. Wouldn't it be a perfect prelude to or setting for a proposal of marriage?

The weather when you visited at the beginning of February was just a little temperamental, but now it is becoming more crisp and clear, and the views from our house are absolutely fantastic over the water. The days are also getting longer, so guests will more time to enjoy the beauty of the Lakes. We are really looking forward to you both returning to us again soon.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2010

On our first ever visit to the Lake District, we stayed in the Poppies Room at Blenheim Lodge. I believe its fair to say that staying here was the best decision we could possibly have made. There were so many hotel/guest houses to choose from and not knowing the area made the whole thing a little daunting. I called Janz (owner of Blenhem Lodge) to ask about the accommodation and she was more than obliging. In fact, when I told her that it was an anniversary trip she went completely out of her way to ensure we had a wonderfully romantic weekend. Janz made several honest suggestions and (although it rained bitterly) we had a fantastic time.

On the day we accidentally took the wrong train and ended up on Grange Over Sands. Janz was kind enough to stay up for us, direct the taxi driver and welcome us with late night tea!

The Poppies room was an en-suite double bedroom with plenty of storage and a flat screen television - who needs any more? It is the smallest of Janz's rooms, but that was ideal for us as we wanted to spend our time outside (a nature trail situated just at the door step helped).
The service was great and quite unique to other hotels I had stayed in. Fresh towels were laid out (for every night of our stay) along with unique toiletries and an excellently cooked breakfast. My partner and I felt very cared for and we are making plans to visit again.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
surpise, representative at Blenheim Lodge, responded to this review, 15 February 2010
Hi there! Thanks ever so much for taking the time to write in. We really enjoyed having you both with us.

I remember perfectly well how we had been communicating back and forth to try to get the best suited room to you and your partner. And, as always, we are honest with guests - telling them what we have to offer them.We always ask what people are looking for in terms of the type of room and style of break they want. I had been a little worried at first because The Poppies is not a large room, but is in fact our smallest room as I told you, and it was your anniversary so I wanted to make sure that this smaller bedroom would be suitable for your requirements. We are so glad that you enjoyed staying in the room.

Blenheim Lodge is best suited to guests who are looking for a calm and relaxing break, away from the hustle and bustle of town, but close enough to walk the five minutes to the Lake, local attractions and amenities. It is a wonderful place for recharging your batteries, as you found out. As we have various room types, from small to large rooms, all of which are lovingly furnished and cared for, the room you chose, The Poppies, was perfect for your requirements as you were looking for a clean and comfortable base with home comforts, close to walks, the town and amenities.

Wonderful memories are made up of little wrong turns - like taking the wrong train! I remember turning up to board a ferry that had already left two days prior! This happened many years ago and now, we look back with fondness and laughter to those memories. We do hope that you will enjoy these memories in years to come, and are very glad that we had a part to play in them. It was no problem at all to stay up to welcome you both. It was a pleasure indeed to serve you hot drinks and biscuits in the guest lounge, and to ensure that you would both feel at home with us right away!

We hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.
Lancashire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

The owner / hosts of this spacious hotel provide prompt and alert service to guests, in a friendly manner. The steep assent is rewarded with lovely views. A peaceful sleep in a clean room followed by a well cooked breakfast. Our secure and comfortable stay would tempt a return here.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
oldham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2009

After reading a less than complimentary review i would like to add ours.
We had a great weekend arriving just after lunch on friday to be welcomed in by the owners and shown to our lovely room.
We had a great stay , the room was lovely .. Four poster , great views of the lake, ample shower and a quality breakfast too.
The weather allowed us to explore the lake and also do the walk to the rear of the house up Brantfell to have a panoramic view of the lake.
It was a lovely but too shorter stay and if you want to find fault then god help you in your perfect world.
We will certainly consider a return visit for a little romance and time out when we can.

Mr & Mrs G
Oldham
Lancs

25 th Sept 2009

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
surpise, management representative at Blenheim Lodge, responded to this review, 21 November 2009
Thank you so much for coming to stay with us. We were delighted to welcome you both here for a special weekend away, and are very pleased that you had a lovely time.

During your stay, the trees were still in leaf and the views from your room would have been of a shimmering Lake Windermere with the verdant backdrop of the Claife Heights mountains and hills beyond. It is now later in the year, but the view is just as lovely, althought different, and we do hope that you will indeed be able to return for another visit soon to enjoy the views from our house - this time of a more mysterious looking Lake Windermere, against the soft light and shades of autumn. I can assure you that it is just as beautiful!

We look forward to welcoming you both back.
Nantwich, Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2009

Nothing, and l do mean nothing is to much trouble for Janz and Robert Duncan, from adding an extra guest (Our Daughter) to sorting out a romantic sailing yacht and evening meal served on board. The lodge wraps itself around you like a favourite cardigan , welcoming you with its warmth and comfort, from the cosy lounge to the elegant breakfast room and on up to the luxurious bedrooms with those views! Choosing from the extensive breakfast menu is a delight and the local food cooked and served to perfection. The lodge is steeped in a tranquil air that takes all the cares from you the moment you arrive, and is like leaving a family member behind when you leave. Just a matter of yards from the rear of the lodge is wooded walks where we encountered deer grazing in the evening, and views that make you proud to live in England. For the most complete, welcoming and utterly delightful stay you cannot find a better host and hostess than Janz and Robert Duncan. (We are regular visitors to the lakes, Keswick, Ambleside, Coniston etc and this lodge cannot be bettered.)
Make sure you know that like many places in the hills it is a steep gradient to the lodge but GOOD access to all areas, and a good sized marked car park with a easy worked parking system in place.
So close to town and steamers etc but you have to face the short sharp climb up back.
free country club membership for extra value
You must try the Sail and Dine package, it is out of this world.!!!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
surpise, management representative at Blenheim Lodge, responded to this review, 19 October 2009
Hello and thanks for such a kind review. We are grateful when our guests let us know that they have enjoyed themselves staying with us, and it is nice to know that the efforts we make to help make their stay happy and memorable are appreciated. So, thanks so much for the encouragement! We had recently set up a few yachting packages amongst other offers, such as fishing and golfing, and are really glad that you found the one you tried just fantastic!

Blenheim Lodge is a well-loved home as well as a guest house, and when guests arrive to stay, we want them to feel at home straight away. We enjoy welcoming guests in with a cuppa and biscuits (sometimes it's cake or chocolate instead), settling them in, and giving them an opportunity to relax after a long journey to our guest house. Of course, sometimes guests have already had something to eat and drink prior to arrival, in which case they might not want anything, but we like to make the offer of refreshments any way, in case they do. I love the expression you have used of the lodge wrapping itself around a person just like a favourite cardigan. That is precisely what we are hoping to achieve - a warm welcome to our guest house to be embraced in peace and tranquillity, and to offer comfort, care and a quality relaxing time to all our guests who stay here. The beautiful views are the icing on the cake, of course . . . we have guests who sit in the lounge, looking out at the views and gradually relaxing so much that they start to nod off in the comfortable quiet that surrounds the lodge. When someone is able to relax as well and as easily as that, then we know that we have done the job properly!

We are delighted that you took our suggestion to wander in the beautiful woods and fields at the back of the house, which are indeed a godsend. I bet you were thrilled to see the wild deer grazing. Aside from the great walks and fantastic views, the wildlife continues to fascinate those of our guests who enjoy looking out for all creatures great and small. Sometimes the deer even wander down to our car park because it can be so peaceful and quiet, you can hear a pin drop! Other guests have delighted in watching an ewe just cleaning its lamb right after lambing whilst walking in the woodlands at the back of the house. That must have been a real treat! And all this beauty and delight is just a minute's walk from our door step. With the centre of Bowness village, the Lake and pier, and also the country club where we offer free membership, only a few minutes' walk from the guest house, it makes everything so convenient for our guests indeed - and we are glad you all found this to be so!

We are enormously pleased that the three of you felt so comfortable when you were here. Many guests tell us Blenheim Lodge feels like their home away from home. We are honoured that you felt so welcome that you felt like family, and we warmly welcome you all as the newest additions to our family and look forward to having you back with us soon!