All reviews steep hill lake district four poster bed offered tea and coffee on arrival fresh towels biscuits lovely hosts sitting room beautiful view of the lake breakfast was delicious full english comfy bed pubs and restaurants wonderful stay yogurt robert
Reviewed 18 February 2010

Janz is a lovely woman, unlike in some horrible reviews stating her to be stressed and unwelcoming, I would say the total opposite! She instantly greeted me and my partner as we pulled up and to my partners delight offered us a cup of tea, maybe simple but it was all that was needed to win her heart over, nothing beats a good brew! She seemed a little nervous, but definitely not stressed.

As for the rooms, they are old yes, but that is what adds the character, its not like the place was dank and dusty, it was a gorgeous antique setting (with modern bathroom haha), kingsize antique solid bed and beautiful wardrobe! The view from our room was AMAZING! Bearing in mind to see a great view you gotta be high up, and high up involves a steep hill! But who cares??? We drove up it easy enough and my car is 16 years old! Even the walk up is manageable and my partner has asthma.

The food was great, there is nothing better than a full english breakfast, but if that isnt to your liking there is a choice of at least 4 different cereals and a constant supply of toast should you be peckish, or you could mix and match from the choices of the full english!

Overall I see no problem in saying this place was perfect and we would definitely visit again, thankyou to both of you for a great nights stay!

Date of stay: February 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
surpise, manager representative at Blenheim Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2010

Hello Phil
Many thanks for your kind remarks! We love to welcome our guests with a cuppa, as it is always tiring to travel, and, as you say, 'nothing beats a good brew' - in this case, of Twinings tea, which is also what we use in the breakfast room. Did you get my email thanking you both for coming to stay? We really enjoyed having you here and instead of feeling stressed, we were most happy to welcome you both here indeed!

I am so glad that you enjoyed staying in The Fairfield room, which is our largest bedroom in the house. We commissioned a Laura Ashley interior designer to help with the colour scheme and soft furnishings, and as a result, she advised a dramatic deep burgundy velvet for the long floor length curtains which really enhance the huge triple floor to ceiling bay windows which frame so perfectly those spectacular Lake Windermere views from the room! The soft furnishings and furniture fit in beautifully with the character of this 1868 former gentleman's residence, and it is great to find that others appreciate the gentle genteel ambiance that they create too.

I am also so pleased that you liked the furniture. We spent ages trying to decide what we should buy when we were doing up the room as we wanted quality, character and comfort for our guests to enjoy. In the end, we decided to go for a solid mahogany Louis suite with kingsize bed as I really loved the intricate wood carving detail, especially on the huge wardrobe and bed. We also put in an antique daybed in the 7-foot wide windows so that guests can laze on the daybed and enjoy the fantastic Lake and mountain views, and we are just delighted that you were able to make use of it for your enjoyment! To make the room even more comfortable for our guests, we decided to splash out on a luxury pocket sprung mattress from the upmarket bed shop, And So To Bed, and had the walk in Kudos shower fitted, along with the beautiful bathroom cabinet and other bathroom fittings. And we are just so delighted that you enjoyed using the facilities in the room so much that you have mentioned them.

Well, we always like to feed our guests up - but only with quality products, such as locally produced handmade sausage and bacon, fresh eggs and milk delivered to our door daily and other goodies. Many people love our breakfasts, which are always cooked fresh to order, and I am glad that you enjoyed your breakfasts at our place. Guests can also choose from other breakfast choices, such as croissant and muffin, various styles of eggs and other vegetarian choices.

It is good to see that you both thought that what you received was worth every penny you paid. We try to offer best value for money, so though we are not the cheapest place around, we do go the extra mile with the things that one cannot see in the photos - such as comfortable deep pocket sprung mattresses, wool carpets, luxury Dormer bedding, thick bathsheets and handtowels etc. These little things count too, and help to make a stay more enjoyable.

We are looking forward to having you both back with us again. During certain times of the year, we offer discounts and free upgrades, which mean that guests get even better value for money. And, of course, throughout the year, we always have highly discounted weekly rates, which often equate to at least £30-£70 savings per person when booking at least 7 nights B&B. Perhaps you might like to take advantage of some of these offers?

Reviewed 12 February 2010

I booked the weekend away as a present for my boyfriend's 21st birthday; I wanted something different, relaxing and a weekend that he would remember for a long time. The hotel was lovely, the room we stayed in was beautiful, with a four poster bed that tipped it for me! Janz and Robert were incredibly hospitable, I haven't been anywhere where the hotel owners were more friendly and welcoming than they were.
The weather was beautiful on the Saturday, and my boyfirned and I went for an 8 mile walk on the other side of the lake! Janz met us in the hall upon our return and provided a cup or tea that was sorely needed and very much appreciated!
We went on the Sail n Dine boat trip on the Sunday, which was absolutely incredible; my boyfirend and I both claim it was one of the best expereinces we have ever had. John, the skipper and chef, was so friendly, and it was a really lovely afternoon, even the overcast weather didn't spoil a thing. A superb meal, lots of wine, brilliant company, and breathtaking scenery made it a day to remember.

All in all, a fantastic weekend, and we will definitely be going back. We even got used to the mega hill after trekking up it a few times!

Date of stay: February 2010
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
surpise, management respresentative at Blenheim Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2010

Hello Bek!

Thank you so much for a friendly review. We are so glad that your boyfriend enjoyed a 21st birthday to remember, as turning 21 is such a milestone! Thank you for giving us a chance to share this special time with you both.

We are really pleased that you loved the four-poster room that you chose, The Coniston, and found it comfortable and relaxing. It was a joy to see such enthusiasm from you both as you took advantage of what the Lake District has to offer - walking, sailing, local foods and last, but hopefully not least, our hospitality. We are thrilled that you both enjoyed the dinner cruise that we organised for you and thank you for letting us know that you appreciate the little homely gestures, like a welcoming pot of tea after a long walk. I should have reminded you to walk the five minutes up from Bowness centre via the gentle slope instead of the steep one to our house.

Your review has made me chuckle with pleasure as I recall how you and I both tried to create a birthday surprise for your boyfriend with luxury chocolate truffles and champagne. The cloak and dagger stuff was so much in danger of being ripped apart, but we are so glad that he got a nice surprise in the end. Robert and I do so enjoy having people to stay for special events like birthdays, honeymoons, and anniversaries, and are just happy that we managed to make your weekend memorable in the nicest of ways!

Over the years, we have had engagements, anniversaries, birthdays, family gatherings etc at our place and we just love sharing the serenity and beauty of our surroundings and our home with guests who will appreciate what we have to offer. The romantic dinner cruise package you enjoyed can now also be tailored to offer an exclusive dinner cruise just for one couple or party along with a bed and breakfast stay at our guest house. Wouldn't it be a perfect prelude to or setting for a proposal of marriage?

The weather when you visited at the beginning of February was just a little temperamental, but now it is becoming more crisp and clear, and the views from our house are absolutely fantastic over the water. The days are also getting longer, so guests will more time to enjoy the beauty of the Lakes. We are really looking forward to you both returning to us again soon.

Reviewed 7 January 2010

On our first ever visit to the Lake District, we stayed in the Poppies Room at Blenheim Lodge. I believe its fair to say that staying here was the best decision we could possibly have made. There were so many hotel/guest houses to choose from and not knowing the area made the whole thing a little daunting. I called Janz (owner of Blenhem Lodge) to ask about the accommodation and she was more than obliging. In fact, when I told her that it was an anniversary trip she went completely out of her way to ensure we had a wonderfully romantic weekend. Janz made several honest suggestions and (although it rained bitterly) we had a fantastic time.

On the day we accidentally took the wrong train and ended up on Grange Over Sands. Janz was kind enough to stay up for us, direct the taxi driver and welcome us with late night tea!

The Poppies room was an en-suite double bedroom with plenty of storage and a flat screen television - who needs any more? It is the smallest of Janz's rooms, but that was ideal for us as we wanted to spend our time outside (a nature trail situated just at the door step helped).
The service was great and quite unique to other hotels I had stayed in. Fresh towels were laid out (for every night of our stay) along with unique toiletries and an excellently cooked breakfast. My partner and I felt very cared for and we are making plans to visit again.

Date of stay: October 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
surpise, representative at Blenheim Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 15 February 2010

Hi there! Thanks ever so much for taking the time to write in. We really enjoyed having you both with us.

I remember perfectly well how we had been communicating back and forth to try to get the best suited room to you and your partner. And, as always, we are honest with guests - telling them what we have to offer them.We always ask what people are looking for in terms of the type of room and style of break they want. I had been a little worried at first because The Poppies is not a large room, but is in fact our smallest room as I told you, and it was your anniversary so I wanted to make sure that this smaller bedroom would be suitable for your requirements. We are so glad that you enjoyed staying in the room.

Blenheim Lodge is best suited to guests who are looking for a calm and relaxing break, away from the hustle and bustle of town, but close enough to walk the five minutes to the Lake, local attractions and amenities. It is a wonderful place for recharging your batteries, as you found out. As we have various room types, from small to large rooms, all of which are lovingly furnished and cared for, the room you chose, The Poppies, was perfect for your requirements as you were looking for a clean and comfortable base with home comforts, close to walks, the town and amenities.

Wonderful memories are made up of little wrong turns - like taking the wrong train! I remember turning up to board a ferry that had already left two days prior! This happened many years ago and now, we look back with fondness and laughter to those memories. We do hope that you will enjoy these memories in years to come, and are very glad that we had a part to play in them. It was no problem at all to stay up to welcome you both. It was a pleasure indeed to serve you hot drinks and biscuits in the guest lounge, and to ensure that you would both feel at home with us right away!

We hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 5 October 2009

The owner / hosts of this spacious hotel provide prompt and alert service to guests, in a friendly manner. The steep assent is rewarded with lovely views. A peaceful sleep in a clean room followed by a well cooked breakfast. Our secure and comfortable stay would tempt a return here.

Date of stay: September 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
Reviewed 3 October 2009

After reading a less than complimentary review i would like to add ours.
We had a great weekend arriving just after lunch on friday to be welcomed in by the owners and shown to our lovely room.
We had a great stay , the room was lovely .. Four poster , great views of the lake, ample shower and a quality breakfast too.
The weather allowed us to explore the lake and also do the walk to the rear of the house up Brantfell to have a panoramic view of the lake.
It was a lovely but too shorter stay and if you want to find fault then god help you in your perfect world.
We will certainly consider a return visit for a little romance and time out when we can.

Mr & Mrs G
Oldham
Lancs

25 th Sept 2009

Date of stay: September 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
surpise, management representative at Blenheim Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2009

Thank you so much for coming to stay with us. We were delighted to welcome you both here for a special weekend away, and are very pleased that you had a lovely time.

During your stay, the trees were still in leaf and the views from your room would have been of a shimmering Lake Windermere with the verdant backdrop of the Claife Heights mountains and hills beyond. It is now later in the year, but the view is just as lovely, althought different, and we do hope that you will indeed be able to return for another visit soon to enjoy the views from our house - this time of a more mysterious looking Lake Windermere, against the soft light and shades of autumn. I can assure you that it is just as beautiful!

We look forward to welcoming you both back.