“Lovely afternoon tea in an amazing hotel”
Review of Storrs Hall

Storrs Hall
north yorkshire
“Lovely afternoon tea in an amazing hotel”
Reviewed 14 May 2014

I recently had afternoon tea here which was bought for Mother's Day. On arrival at the hotel it has the wow factor a beautiful old hotel in a amazing lakeside location.
We were greeted and shown to our lakeside view table. We had a glass of fizz followed by hot drink. Afternoon tea was served and there was a good choice of sandwiches, cakes and scones. The macaroons were delicious.
Afterwards we had a look round the grounds which are breathtaking. A fantastic place to get married.
Highly recommended and children friendly. We asked for a gluten free meal and this was done no problem
Can't wait to return to stay over

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank polamb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Carlsile
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Here is our resume of our recent stay at The Storrs Hall Hotel Windermere which we booked through Secret Escapes back in February this year.

We had already received details of our package and conformation of payment from ENQIRIES@STORRSHALL.COM.
We had booked for a Champaigne afternoon tea on arrival followed with an overnight stay in a lake view room with breakfast the following day. The Storrs booking receipt itemised all of the above, with the details of payment i.e. transaction number etc, which we took with us as requested on their paperwork.

The booking in procedure at the hotel was straightforward, our room was ready on arrival and we set a time for our table for afternoon tea at 14:30hrs. At the set time we went to the dining room and stood like a pair of lemons! for several minutes whilst the staff passed by without any acknowledgement of us being there. We did not know if we simply sat at any table or not?
We eventually had to button hole a member of the restaurant staff who showed us to a table. As the afternoon tea progressed there was no sign of the champagne arriving, as it was at other tables . Again I spoke to a waiter who said he would check, on his return we were told that the champagne was not part of our 'package' and that we would be charged 'extra' for this . We accepted the champaign and agreed to speak to the hotel'reception' once we had finished our meal. We felt at the time this was not what we would expect from a 4 star establishment who clearly had sent us an 'itemised' printout of what we had ordered and paid for in advance of our stay.

We booked a table reservation for dinner later that evening. Again towards the appointed time we spoke to reception regarding our menu choices, i.e., could we eat in the dinning room if one of us chose the selection from the 'all day dining menu'. We had noticed that this was available in the lounge bar. The receptionist went away and came back and together with another colleague who was standing at the reception desk, clearly about to leave the hotel,we were informed that there would be no problem with this. However, when we came to place our order we were informed that this in deed was not permitted, clearly this indicates some lack of communication/continuity.
Again we went along with this to avoid any further negativity.

Our evening meal was excellent, the presentation and quality of the food was superb.

The following morning we came down to breakfast at 09:00 ( the allocated times being 08:00 till 10:00) we were shown to a table and the order for hot food/coffee/toast was taken. We went to the buffet table set in the centre of the dining room to make our selection. The pastry plate was almost empty, no muesli was available, very little fresh fruit was left ( it all appeared to need replenishment) as we had not come down late, i.e. towards the end of breakfast time , our expectation was that it should not have looked 'picked through'!.,There were several guests who arrived well after we had sat down and we had been informed that the hotel was not busy.

Our room, was fine although perhaps a little 'tired', but we understood via other trip advisor comments, that refurbishment was ongoing ,so we accepted that we were in one of the rooms still to be done.The room facilities were clean and all ok, the bed comfy. A good nights sleep.

I went to reception on our departure morning to pay our 'extras' i.e. the evening dinner and drinks which were not part of the pre-paid package. Again a problem at the reception desk, I was given a bill for £245. I explained to the receptionist that we had already paid for a 'package' I showed her our receipt with details sent from Storrs Hall confirming this. However she would not accept this , she explained that the money had not come out of our credit card account despite me explianing that the transaction id confirmed this to be the case. Rather that create a scene and spoil the occasion I paid the £245 reluctantly and said I would check at home and be in touch.

On arrival home we checked my CC statement of 4/2/2014 and indeed found my payment for the package under 'SECRET ESCAPES' London, whereupon I contacted them.They asked for the transaction id and found my booking and confirmation of payment made within seconds.
They said they would get onto the hotel straight away to sort this out.When they came back to us they had spoken to the receptionist who had dealt with us and who apparently informed them that she was new! No apology was proffered. We are awaiting Storrs Halls speeding re-embursment of their overcharge

We feel that our experiences of Storrs Hall are that of a 'mixed' picture. The food was excellent, the accommodation satisfactory, the service mixed and the administration CHAOTIC!
There does not seem to be a 'joined up' service/customer experience which we would expect from a hotel that advertises its self as 4 stars. Overall a disappointing guest stay.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank carlislepraxis
Sarah E, General Manager at Storrs Hall, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
I was sorry to read your resume of your recent stay.

We pride ourselves in delivering a high level of quality service at all times and I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your evening dining experience with us.
It appears however aside to this positive note that a requirement for some further training was required for the newer members of my team which resulted in a shortfall of our usual standards of service. The points you raise were highlighted with my heads of departments and action has been taken to ensure this occurrence is not repeated.

If you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Yours sincerely

Clitheroe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I booked two nights recently to celebrate my birthday. We paid extra for one of the larger rooms and it was well worth it to have the view of the Lake and the extra space. The package was dinner, bed and breakfast and everything was excellent. The evening meals were very good as was the breakfast. We also had cream teas with the hotel's home made scones and jam. I would certainly go again and enjoyed the hotel, the experience, walking in the grounds and the general sights.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Rhos on Sea
Reviewed 7 May 2014

We used this hotel for a special birthday for my wife. I secretly invited 4 couples and the hotel staff were most helpful in arranging all the detail in confidence. Without exception the staff were delightful. The site of this hotel would be hard to beat on Windermere , with its own private landing stage and access to the lake. The driveway to the Georgian mansion delivers guests to the back of the Hotel, the impressive front being left to offer wonderful views of the gardens and lake.
Several of the public rooms face the lake and the breakfast/dining room offers restful views of the lawns.
Cream tea is a must during your stay excellent value and beautifully served by professional and friendly staff. The evening meal was outstanding , freshly cooked and served for us in a private room. The Chef obviously takes a pride in his craft. Our rooms were spacious, some would say luxurious. We were given every help in planning our 3 day stay locally which despite some inclement weather was a success. A pool would have been an advantage and no sky sports on TV. Wifi signal variable but free.
During our stay we were directed to Windermere Golf Club where we had a joint indoor 2 hour golf lesson from Simon Edwards the local professional . It was entertaining and he was able to appeal to all standards of players . This added value to our trip.
A very enjoyable way to pamper yourself for a few days.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank JR J
England of course !
Reviewed 3 May 2014

We decided to take a trip up to the lakes for Easter and Storrs Hall had an offer on with Secret Escapes, so we decided to give it a try, Tripadvisor reviews were good and the price seemed reasonable.

We arrived very early 10:30 am (we were going to L'enclume for lunch) we were greeted at the reception desk with a friendly smile and were very surprised to find our room was ready, The room was clean and very large with a truly comfortable kingsize bed.

After Lunch we returned and had a walk around the grounds, the hotel building is very impressive the grounds are beautiful but these both shrivel to insignificance to the amazing views, this hotel boasts one of the best positions anywhere in the world.

We are both foodies but after a filling lunch we decided to just have something from the bar menu in the evening, this was a magnificent steak sandwich and I decided to have one of the desserts, I can honestly say this was one of my highlights, a rhubarb parfait that was better to look at and eat than both desserts I was served at the Michelin starred restaurant earlier that the day.
After a good nights sleep Breakfast was without doubt exceptional, I had the full English and my wife decided to have the Eggs Benedict, we both agreed this was one of the best breakfasts we have both had.

The only negative I have is that I wish I had made more use of the hotels own restaurant but we will return, I consider this hotel to be fantastic value even at its rack rate.

To the Manager/Owner of Storrs hall, You have a real gem with some of the best staff we have encountered anywhere, all so friendly but none were intrusive, Thank you and we will return.

Room Tip: Make use of the hotel restaurant.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank daneworth
guildford surrey
Reviewed 1 May 2014

We booked into this hotel at four in the afternoon after checking out of a very poor hotel booked in error.
We were very very lucky.
The hotel is being restored and is very comfortable and extremely well managed. The new chef is excellent and the fine dining menu is truly top class. The breakfast is also very good and cooked fresh to order.
The views over the lake are amazing and as the weather was lovely it was fantastic to have a late afternoon snooze in one of the deck chairs on the lawn. They even provide an alarm in the way of a friendly woodpecker to wake you as the sun sets !
The staff in the hotel are very attentive with even the handyman taking time to say good morning.
Finally if you are lucky enough to stay here make time to talk to Frederick the waiter...he is a truly inspirational character.
Well done to The Stoors hall team

Room Tip: Lake view are well worth the money
Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah E, General Manager at Storrs Hall, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you for sharing your experience here on Trip Advisor.

We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and our natural outdoor alarm call was in working order!!

Fred and his team all take great pride in their roles here at the hotel and it is always wonderful to receive this recognition; I am very proud of my team.

We hope to be able to welcome you again very soon to Storrs Hall.

Kind Regards

Cheshire, England
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

My wife treated me to afternoon Tea which was a nice change from the pub!! We've passed Storrs Hall many tines, both on the lake and in the car. The hall is beautiful and set in fab grounds and no wonder it's packed out in the summer months full with weddings.

The afternoon Tea was served with a glass of champagne, a nice selection of dainty sandwiches and sickly sweet puddings oh, and a pot of Tea.

We sat in the small atrium overlooking the gardens and lakes and with the sunshine streaming in made it a lovely afternoon.

Then I went to the pub!!

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Sarah E, General Manager at Storrs Hall, responded to this review, 18 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to comment here on Trip Advisor.

The team were delighted to hear you enjoyed your encounter with us.

We hope that you may frequent us again in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

Sarah Evans
PS.. glad to hear that you still made it to the pub!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bowness-on-Windermere
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere
Linthwaite House
Linthwaite House
#2 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Sp...
#9 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield
#6 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
Lindeth Howe Country House Hotel
#7 of 13 in Bowness-on-Windermere

Been to Storrs Hall? Share your experiences!