“Not just the best cake in Bowness, but possibly all of Cumbria!”
Review of Cafe Latte - CLOSED

Cafe Latte
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
“Not just the best cake in Bowness, but possibly all of Cumbria!”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

A small, traditional looking cafe, with a few contemporary bits and pieces that serves excellent freshly cooked food and some of the finest cake you're going to find. We received a very friendly welcome from the owners, who had only been there 10 weeks, and enjoyed some quality freshly cooked food from their simple menu.

All the food is home made, down to the jam on your scone, and it's the kind of quality that will keep you coming back. We ended up visiting three times over four days. It's the cake that really rises above anything else on offer in the area. Not only a good selection of home made fayre, but all of them excellent. Special mention goes to the lemon meringue which towers above inferior offerings and tastes as good as it looks.

Somewhat unassuming from the outside, absolutely not to be missed.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Idiotzoo

Cork, Ireland
“Wonderful owners and some of the best cake i've ever had!”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

My family and I were in Windermere on a cold, drizzly day recently, in urgent need of a cup of tea to revive ourselves. It was Sunday lunchtime, so a lot of the café’s and restaurants were very crowded and so we chanced upon Café Latte on St Martins Hill. It doesn’t look like anything out of the ordinary from the outside, just a standard café, but when we ventured in, we were struck by how warm and cosy it was. It is a small little place, so seating is a bit tight, we were 5 adults, so we had to split between two tables, but that was no hassle. We were pretty peckish, so we decided to go for a sandwich. The menu isn’t extensive, but everything we had was so delicious and fresh. We had bacon rolls and egg rolls, my egg roll was just yummy, 2 lovely fried eggs on a fresh roll, eggs nice and runny – just the way they should be! However, I was finding it difficult to concentrate on my food at this stage as the cakes were just in my eye line and let’s just say they were distracting me! I went for lemon cake with lemon curd to spread…. Oh my God it was just divine, real melt in the mouth stuff, and lemon curd??? Why am I only hearing about this wonderful stuff now? I had to buy a jar to take home with me! My husband had a raspberry and white chocolate roulade, it was just as good as the lemon cake, in fact it was so good, he would only allow me one taste. Divorce proceedings are under way as we speak… All the cakes are homemade and it isn’t an exaggeration to say they are some of the best cakes I have ever tasted.

I have to mention how lovely the two lovely ladies who were serving us. I am presuming they are the owners; it seems to be a family run business. They were just so lovely and friendly. They really made us feel welcome. Because it is such a small place, we really felt like we were visiting friends for tea! Their hospitality was just wonderful. Best of all, this café is really reasonable, for two rolls, two cakes and two cappuccino it came to around £15. Windermere and the Lake District in general are very expensive, so it was refreshing to get such great value.

As we were leaving, they mentioned that they were only in business 5 weeks. They have a fantastic little place, I wish them all the luck in the world for their new business, and they deserve it. We will definitely be returning when we are back in Windermere next year and would recommend this little café to anyone who wants a lovely cup of coffee, delicious cake and friendly service.

• Visited May 2012