“Great food, great price, friendly pub”

The Old John Peel Inn
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Postcode - LA23 3BZ
Reviewed 10 May 2014

Visit was brief, but enjoyable, very good dinner for reasonable price, all in setting of most classic english pub. If you aim for traditional english food, go to Old John Peel.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I've never wrote a review before but feel that if I can stop one person wasting their money in this place it will be worth it.
Where do I start... Well seven of us ate, 2 fish and chips, fish was cheap and frozen as were the chips and mushy peas straight from a tin.
2 cheese burgers, again cheap burgers which infact were the vilest I have ever come across topped with processed cheese slices, more cheap frozen chips and a bit of dry salad. The burgers were inedeable with grease dripping from the bun.
2 farmhouse mixed grills, one was edible what happened to the other is beyond me. Steak was ok, not sure if it was lamb chop or pork chop as my brother could not distinguish between the taste was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen. Plate swimming in grease, undercooked black pudding and gammon steak which was nothing more than a piece of thick bacon. The worst thing he has ever eaten!
And to finish off one scampi and chips which was nice.
Presentation was terrible on all dishes. When spending best part of £100 on lunch I expected something a little more, the food to be edible would have been preferred.
Save your money and go buy a meal deal at tesco 2 minutes walk away!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

After a day out at the wildlife park in Dalton in Furness we decided to end our nice day with a meal in Windermere and came across this nice little cosy pub.
The food was excellent and good value especially compared to other local touristy establishments.

Staff were friendly and efficient and they even had a proper fire which you don't see much these days.

In my opinion. It's well worth the 5 star rating I gave ......try it yourself and see.

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Food excellent, enjoyed a mega sized Steak & Kidney Pudding with chips, peas, carrots and gravy, couldn't fault the meal, it was hot, very tasty and the service was really good. Toilets extremely clean which is always a good sign.

Reviewed 12 April 2014

staff were friendly. the dinner wasnt that good but it was expensive for what we ordered and there was a long wait for the food. over all we had a below average experience. dogs are allowed which encoraged us to go in but i wouldnt reccommend it to anyone.