“Shambolic operations and service” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Stags Head

and 1 more site!
Stags Head
Nice, France
“Shambolic operations and service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2013

I arrived there the room wasn't cleaned, I had to take another room that was for a family that was horrible, uncomfortable and small. Even though I stated I was prepared to wait for the room to be cleaned, I was told this wont be happening. I had to change rooms the next day although they couldn't tell me when it would be ready even though I had to get changed for a wedding In which I was the best man. Eventually (after much insisting) they told me it would be ready by 11am but it wasn't ready until 12.30. I was very patient with the ordeal and the house keeping staff were rude to me and the person in charge never apologised, gave me a discount or made any attempt to even reconcile this issue so I regret being nice about it. If I would've stayed any longer I would've gone to another place or even paid for an expensive room at the hotel opposite as I was eventually so infuriated by this complete lack of service. With all these issues the rooms weren't even clean the bath rooms had damp (both rooms) and the pictures on the websites for booking are certainly misleading. This was the worst hotel/B&B I have ever been to and the staff don't care as you pay on entry so for them it doesn't matter. If you like the lakes or have a wedding don't go to the Stags Head!! a tent would be better!!!

Room Tip: don't go there.
6 Thank James K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2013 via mobile

After reading the reviews on trip advisor, I was expecting this hotel to be a flea pit, which is unfair. It could do with a deep clean and our head board was thick with dust. Our room had a few stains on the carpet and is long overdue a spruce up. Bedding and towels were spotless.
The breakfast was excellent and you're giving plenty to eat. Good quality bacon and sausages and the waiting on staff were really friendly, very attentive and helpful. We stayed for two days and were attending a wedding in the hotel next door. The location is ideal, but be aware, there is a nightclub in the basement. It didn't bother my wife and I as we popped in for a late drink. If we'd had the children with us, I'm not sure I'd have been happy with the set up.
The hotels cheap for the location and needs a revamp, but for a bargain stay in the heart of Bowness, I can't complain.

• Stayed September 2013
4 Thank PartyofFive587
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I have just returned from a 1 night stay at the stags head Bowness with my husband. I booked the bowness suit which has been newly renovated it was a beautiful room very spacious with fantastic decor a lovely modern bathroom and immaculately clean. The staff (Deano) who dealt with us from checking us in to serving our drinks were top class nothing was to much trouble and we were made to feel very welcome the pub its self was busy with lots of people eating and a really nice atmosphere. This is a busy pub so ideal for those who want to enjoy a few drinks and good conversion. Would definitely come. Kay and stuart

• Stayed August 2013
Maspalomas, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2013

We booked two rooms at the stags head! On arrival we were allocated rooms 9 & 20. On entering the rooms the first thing that hit you was the heat. The heating was on full and being mid August with an outside temperature of 21 degrees the room temperature was unbearable! Room 9's bed looked like it had been slept in, was unmade and had stains on the sheets! Room 20's bathroom had heavy mildew in the shower and bathroom walls. When we complained room 9 was swapped for room 17 which was cleaner, however the heating was still a problem and the secondary double glazing would not open to allow ventilation. We were informed that the hotels heating would go off at 8pm. We also had further problems with room 17 later with noise from people smoking outside the hotel from the night club in the basement of the hotel which went on until 2am! I would not recommend anybody to stay at this hotel!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank Peter G

Travellers are raving about these Bowness-on-Windermere hotels

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2013

Don't be taken in by the pictures on the Hotel's website!!!
It has character from the outside and is well located but that's all it has going for it: its dowdy and rundown, the rooms are small and dated and a re-furb. is long over due.
The window in the room we had didn't open and there was no ventilation, the paint was peeling off the bathroom wall, the toilet seat was coming off and the room was small and unwelcoming.
We booked a double and got 2 singles pushed together that had seen better days and we could feel every spring and the whole hotel has a peculiar and unpleasant smell.
We could also hear the people in the adjacent rooms more clearly than you'd expect!
Although the breakfast was good and the staff were all very pleasant the dowdiness and run down feel of the hotel lets them down badly.
Wouldn't recommend it unless it has a serious re-furb.

6 Thank 00-Geordie
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

The only gd thing I can really say about this pub is that it's nice on the outside so if its a nice day then great!!! The inside of the pub is drab, bit smelly and quite run down, they've got a few cask ales food looked ok if you like a few triangle sandwiches chucked on a plate with crisps. staff don't seem very happy to be there and there is zero atmosphere all in a very depressing pub! So sad as it has fantastic potential!

• Stayed August 2013
5 Thank Dawniep3
Southport, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 August 2013

Great location for centre of Bowness and the lake. We arrived at the hotel without booking before hand. We were offered a standard double for £80 or a superior double for £90. We went for the superior double. On the surface the room was lovely (Bowness suite) four poster bed, couch and chair in the room and a very modern bathroom. However little things let the room down. The canope on the four poster was dusty, the bed very uncomfotable and only a double bed, the shower had a huge shower head but the water preasure was poor, cheap nasty toiletries, the room hadn't been cleaned properly there was an empty packet of crisps and a cake wrapper under the couch.

The staff were friendly however they would never win any prizes for being proffesional. Smoking outside the entrance was a bit off putting.

If you are staying with children than this hotel isn't for you. It is very noisey in the rooms. This didn't bother us as we were drinking downstairs till late.

This hotel is suited for stag or hen parties not for familys or couples on a romantic break. Certainly not worth £90!

Room Tip: Go to the Olde England next door.
5 Thank Katie172