“Great value for midweek”
Review of Stags Head

Stags Head
Reviewed 23 March 2014

After reading mixed reviews on here I took a chance and booked in for 3 nights midweek as a base for some walking. I booked the cheapest single option and was pleasantly surprised when I arrived to be given a good sIzed double room with e suite shower room. Ok, it was back of hotel with no view but it was clean, very comfy and warm. Great big tray of tea, coffee and bickers provided so I was happy as larry!
Downstairs there is two bar areas, a,though I think during week off season only one is open. The staff were all very friendly and the beer was good, even got 10% off for showing room key.
They don't do food in evening, but there are literally hundreds of places, pubs and takeaways within a few mins walk so yo won't starve .

The dreaded nightclub luckily is only on during weekends off seasons, so I slept like the proverbial baby in my warm bed and breakfast, between 8 am and 9 am was massive. Lovely hot choices with quality ingredients and the best sausage I have ever had.

I would thoroughly recommend this place as a base while in Lake District ,I really have no moans at all. Ok, I can imagine on season with club it will be noiseier, but plenty reviews to warn you of that.

As a single female traveller, I felt safe and comfortable here and will be returning in autumn when the season dies off against thanks guys xx

Room Tip: Request a room at front of hotel if on season or weekend to limit noise from club
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Stags Head

Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I must admit I was a bit wary going to Stags Head after reading some negative reviews here. We booked 3 rooms and our double on the 1st floor was great, the family room too but the 1 bed on 3rd floor made me feel a bit claustrophobic. All the rooms were very clean though with complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits. The beds very comfortable, no noise despite being right above the nightclub and the food at the hotel very nice and reasonably priced (you get 20% discount if you stay at the hotel).

The location is great, right in the middle of everything and for the price you pay I'm very surprised people complain about the place.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Aga W
Reviewed 19 March 2014

Upon entering the hotel you can see that downstairs in the bar area and games room could do with a lick of paint and lets the place down slightly.

We stayed in a suite and it looked exactly like it is advertised on the website very clean and tidy and even though our room was above the main street we had no problem with noise even when the nightclub was closing and revellers started going home.

The staff are very welcoming and the breakfast has to be one of the best I have eaten.

This hotel is perfect for couples who are staying overnight and enjoy good food in the surrounding restaurants and a good drink in the very welcoming pubs and bars in the area.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulap84
Reviewed 19 March 2014 via mobile

Me & the missus couldn't be bothered going home after a day out in bowness...so after a drink in the stags head we enquired about a double room for the night...at £65 we weren't to bothered about pay it...it was a monday night so deadly quiet,i understand it can get noisy at weekends though...

The room was ok...the bed was comfy and the bathroom really nice...but....the room was let down by the tired appliances, a kettle that was at least 20 years old,a trouser press on the wall that was useless...

The breakfast the next morning was spot on though...

All in all id say £65 for a night midweek is £20 overpriced...

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank simonspudwynn
Reviewed 28 February 2014 via mobile

Myself my wife and two kids stayed for a two day break. We booked b&b in a pub and as expected that's exactly what we got. Room was clean, breakfast was good, the bar was warm with the log fire and the staff were courteous. I didn't book a five star hotel or a tent in a field. I received exactly what I booked. Thanks folks

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Maverickz71
Reviewed 18 February 2014

this is our third visit to the stag and we can only say it gets better. lovely, welcoming staff which nothing is too much for them, very helpful and friendly, from breakfast in our room to evening night caps. can honestly say we couldn't have got better if we stayed at the ritz.thanks to all the staff and cant wait for our stay which will be new years eve. we were fortunate to have the bowness suite, which was perfect for our valentines weekend.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Parking is hopeless. Arrived on Friday and there was nobody on reception, just plenty workmen workmen in the entrance all smoking. Had to find the barman to check in who was clearly advised to get payment before anything else. He then advised that I could park half a mile away on Glebe Rd. Not their fault but it does raise questions. The room (Bowland Suite) whilst a bit dated was spacious as and clean although a little sparse on information. The big problem came at 9.30 when the music started. Scheduled to finish at 12.00 it was just too much. Decided to leave. Young manager was very understanding and gave a full refund. Our room was directly over the bar area so this didn't help. Not a great experience.

Room Tip: Definitely not over the bar.
Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple