“Do not stay in this dump!”
Review of Stags Head

Stags Head
Reviewed 7 April 2014

By far this has to be the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. The room was absolutely filthy with mould growing out of the wall! We went to this hotel because it was a good base for the stag doo we were on and for 90 pounds for a twin room it seemed quite reasonable however how wrong could we be. The staff that we dealt with we're rude and unhelpful and the hotel itself needs more than a lick of paint. Another poster commented back at the end of March that there was dry sick all over the sinks in the men's toilets. We'll guess what it was still there. As for the rooms don't expect much the carpet was filthy there we're punch holes all over the walls and no mattress protectors on the bed. We ordered food in the afternoon however the fish I ordered was raw so sent it back. I walked past the kitchens and they looked filthy so all 9 of us on the do decided it would be safer to eat elsewhere for breakfast. I will be writing to the stags demanding a refund however the way the staff were with us I don't expect a response. My advice pay a bit extra for your room and go elsewhere!

Room Tip: We had room 14 so demand you don't have this mould infested room or you will wake up itching lik...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Paul H

Reviewed 6 April 2014

31 of us ladies on our anual trip to bowness of 20 years, only one member of staff was curtious, the rest were damn right rude to us, we are all in our usual fancy dress, on this occasion ww2 ladies, some food didnt arrive, eventually got refunded, the manager-or stand in manager was very rude, told us to go watch the grand national in another pub, service at the bar was as if we didnt exist, not made welcome, we are not teenagers, and are very polite couldnt believe it, seems we are welcome when they need the trade in october!, well we shall not be returning in october, your not worthy of our business, and we spend a lot, all other pubs welcome us every year with open arms, stags head? Your now done!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank jujubunny
Reviewed 30 March 2014 via mobile

For £90 a night I would at least expect a mattress cover and some Mr Muscle mould & mildew remover to be used in the bathroom. I think I was cleaner going into the shower than coming out of it! Either reduce your rates or spend a little of what you charge upgrading the rooms.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrsFitchey
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Had a drink in the pub March 24th. Barmaid was on phone whilst customers waited.
The gents toilets were an absolute disgrace, it looked like someone had bee sick and it had not been cleaned up. I returned the following day to use the toilets again around 11 am and the toilets looked exactly the same... disgusting. If this is anything to go by what are the rooms like, even worse what about the kitchen???
I would avoid this place next time I visit the lakes, it lets the resort down badly!

Room Tip: Did not stay just went for a drink not a very clean place at all.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 March 2014

Just spent three nights at this hotel, and agree with other reviewers that you get what you pay for, their web site makes clear that first floor rooms could suffer from noise from the pub. Due to my wife's, temporary, mobility issues our room was on the first floor, yes there was noise from the bar but it was not intrusive. Clean and well appointed with very friendly staff, a good selection of beer's at the bar and a 10% discount on bar food and drinks. First class breakfast. And well situated for all local attractions. Would advise that you park first and walk the very short distance to the hotel as the surrounding roads were not designed for cars. Will definitely return.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2014

After reading mixed reviews on here I took a chance and booked in for 3 nights midweek as a base for some walking. I booked the cheapest single option and was pleasantly surprised when I arrived to be given a good sIzed double room with e suite shower room. Ok, it was back of hotel with no view but it was clean, very comfy and warm. Great big tray of tea, coffee and bickers provided so I was happy as larry!
Downstairs there is two bar areas, a,though I think during week off season only one is open. The staff were all very friendly and the beer was good, even got 10% off for showing room key.
They don't do food in evening, but there are literally hundreds of places, pubs and takeaways within a few mins walk so yo won't starve .

The dreaded nightclub luckily is only on during weekends off seasons, so I slept like the proverbial baby in my warm bed and breakfast, between 8 am and 9 am was massive. Lovely hot choices with quality ingredients and the best sausage I have ever had.

I would thoroughly recommend this place as a base while in Lake District ,I really have no moans at all. Ok, I can imagine on season with club it will be noiseier, but plenty reviews to warn you of that.

As a single female traveller, I felt safe and comfortable here and will be returning in autumn when the season dies off against thanks guys xx

Room Tip: Request a room at front of hotel if on season or weekend to limit noise from club
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 20 March 2014 via mobile

I must admit I was a bit wary going to Stags Head after reading some negative reviews here. We booked 3 rooms and our double on the 1st floor was great, the family room too but the 1 bed on 3rd floor made me feel a bit claustrophobic. All the rooms were very clean though with complimentary tea, coffee and biscuits. The beds very comfortable, no noise despite being right above the nightclub and the food at the hotel very nice and reasonably priced (you get 20% discount if you stay at the hotel).

The location is great, right in the middle of everything and for the price you pay I'm very surprised people complain about the place.

• Stayed: February 2014