“Dirty, in need of a good clean”
Review of Stags Head

Stags Head
Reviewed 17 July 2010

stayed here because it as the cheapest, not great. Floors in the bathroom were dirty in the corners of the floor had not been wiped for months, grouting and silcone in the shower were dirty and the decorating shoddy. Corridors smelt smokey and the staff serving breakfast not very friendly, always outside smoking when you needed them. I walked past them to checkout they ignored me and I had to go outside to get them back in to check me out, they seemed more interested in smoking, never again rubbish hotel. If they keep getting reviews like this dont know how they are going to survive. You would think they would change. The nightclub in the hotel very strange not a selling point.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Stags Head

Reviewed 25 August 2009

Just returned from a long weekend at the stag, overall a value for money hotel. Don't come here expecting the hilton, but do expect a warm friendly atmosphere offering a hearty breakfast and a well stocked bar !!!!!!!!!!! I reccomend the hawkshead ale !!!!!! By the way there's a nightclub downstairs so a night.... well read the title..........!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank Duffer1948
Reviewed 1 June 2009

After driving 150 miles to the Lake District we arrived at our hotel to find no one on the check in desk, no parking and as it was Friday no food available. We were directed to a local long stay car park which was full so we had to drive around for about another half hour looking for a car park eventually going back to the original one and luckily getting a space which had just been vacated. This cost another £6 per day on top of what we had already paid. However, as the hotel was priced quite reasonably and breakfast was included this still worked out cheaper than some of the other hotels so close to Windermere.

We were given the key to our room which was the four poster room above the bar. The room was lovely, definitely had the wow factor when walking through the door to see the bed and a spacious seating area consisting of a two-seater sofa and two armchairs….yes they had seen better days and the one chair was a bit wobbly but in a way it added to the charm. The room appeared clean and comfortable although very hot as the heating was turned right up….at the time of our visit the outside temperature was about 25 degrees; this was easily remedied by turning the radiator off. This was definitely a 5 point room until the evening when unfortunately it dropped to 0. From 9pm the hotel has entertainment in the bar, this was directly below our room. On the first night we did stay in the bar till about 11:15pm we then decided to retire as we’d had quite a long journey and quite a bit of stress trying to park. On leaving the bar I discreetly asked the singers if they could possibly turn the volume down a little as we were directly above them, their reaction was to shout in the mike that I was going to bed and would everyone please be quite. I joked around a little with this laughingly threatening to pull the plug out and therefore stop the noise altogether.

On reaching our room it was like the singers were actually in there with us. There had been no mention of this on the hotel website and as this room is the most expensive the hotel offers it’s not something I personally would expect. As the noise level did not abate after a few minutes I decide my best course of action was to speak to the manager. This man was only what I could describe as obnoxious. He flatly refused to do anything about the problem ie: ask the group to reduce their volume. His ideas for resolving the problem were firstly to offer me another room which I refused as it would obviously be of a lower standard and it was 11:30 at night and I really didn’t feel like packing up my stuff and moving. Secondly that we took half our money back and checked out the following morning. Again I turned this down as being one of the hottest weeks so far this year I wasn’t confident of getting another room for a Saturday night, and finally that if I wasn’t satisfied with his solutions I could book out immediately (basically shut up or be thrown out). At this point I decided there was no point carrying on with my complaint and went back to my room.

We did manage to get to sleep, or at least doze until turning out time at 2am when the noise outside escalated while people waited for taxis or made their way home. We did have the windows open which I suppose did not help much but it was very hot and the room was still cooling from the heating being on earlier in the day.

The breakfast and service next morning did redeem a few points for this hotel. The breakfast was very substantial with a range of cereals, toast and a full fry up. The lady serving breakfast did indeed look rushed off her feet and I certainly didn’t envy her her job under the exceptionally hot circumstances. (I also saw her again later that morning changing bed linen and towels in the rooms and presumably cleaning.)
On leaving the bar after breakfast we were accosted by the manager who said he would sort out our money so that we could leave as was agreed the night before. This was not agreed and again we refused and said we’d take our chances as there was no entertainment advertised on the web site for that night. This, of course, was wrong and there was a singer booked for that night, however we decided to stay as we thought it would be difficult to find anywhere else at such short notice. We decided to treat the whole incident as one of those things that come to try us but I would strongly advise if you do book this room that you take earplugs with you if you wish to retire any earlier than 2am.

I can’t fault the hotel on position as it was within a stones throw of the main Steam Pier although there were no views from the hotel itself for those book next door at the MacDonald Old England or Belsfield. The area around the Lake was beautiful the weather faultless I recommend a visit to the Information Centre which is very informative and has a pack with local walks in ranging from 1-11/2 hours to 4 hours and above. The shorter walk which we did takes you up the hills overlooking the Lake although this is very steep in places it is well worth the effort as the views are spectacular.

All in all although I would only recommend this hotel with a severe noise warning and I mean severe. I would recommend the Lake District and Bowness to anyone for a marvellous weekend break, Bowness is maybe a bit small for anything longer than a weekend unless you are a dedicated walker when it makes a fantastic and very picturesque base. For a better hotel try Belsfield not that much more expensive, free parking, magnificent views if your room is on the front of the hotel but no breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 May 2009

We recently stayed at this hotel. The carpets are worn as is the decor. There is a slight musty smell which could be old tobacco. Checking in was not as easy as it could have been as there was no one at the check-in 'desk. The hotel isn't run by a legion of people so it seems a lot of multi-tasking goes on. I paid for the room over the bar.

I required somewhere to park the car and was told that the parking spaces would all be taken. The man did his best however and i was offered an alternative space. The directions were simple enough but finding them was not. Eventually found, we parked up and didn't go back to it until we were going home. (To people complaining about this, look at where the hotel's located - I was glad they had an 'arrangement' whereby i could at least park for free, if not on site!)

OK, i'll cut to the chase, there was only problems i encountered that filled me with dread.. NOISE.. Now this is only a problem if you are situated on the first floor above the bar. Get back to the hotel at 9pm and there's a security guard on the door. The entertainment starts and that's you not sleeping until after midnight. Then you just hear everyone having a whale of a time till about 2am.

On the second floor you're too far away from the bar and can't hear anything.

The linen was clean, with plenty enough towels for us, as was the bedding which was white and looked brand new. The heating was on seemingly constantly so we were cozy warm. The furniture in the room was old fashioned, but hey, it's functional isn't it. We didn't have a problem with cleanliness and didn't bother checking the skirting boards for dust as we've got better things to do on a break.

Come morning we went downstairs to the bar area where breakfast was to be served. Plates, Cups, Cutlery was all clean. There was a choice of cereal boxes to choose from, along with tea, coffee, and orange juice.

The scottish lady whos there in the morning runs around an puts 3 slices of toast and butter on the table saying 'hot breakfast' i initially thought was a bit abrupt, but after speaking to her and understanding how i'd feel vacuuming up after a saturday night I changed my opinion of her as just being herself. I digressed. The breakfast consisted of 1 egg, 2 rashers back bacon, baked beans, ring of cumberland sausage, mushrooms and one hash brown. I personally think this is a great deal for what you pay and certainly made us happy enough!

Functional and nothing special but reasonably priced (£70/night for 2 adults & 2 kids during a bank holiday) is how i'd describe this hotel. As said before everyones got different standards...

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 March 2009

Visited here many times over the past year & wouldnt stay anywhere else, The staff cant do enough for you they really are the tops, down to earth good old fashioned customer service. The rooms could be alot better I admit but they are clean & tidy, always hot showers & tea, coffee & biscuits replenished also you get shower gels etc which you dont get at many hotels, There is good quality hairdryers in the rooms also. Also parking is never a problem, when the car park was full one of the staff let us park at his place, ( Just goes to show they will help anyone out unless they have attitude .) We like the fact you can have a quiet drink or watch sport & then there is the nightclub in the basement which is done out really fashionable. Cant wait to go back see you all in may.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2009

Stayed for one night. Room was adequate but tired looking.Bed mattress was very worn and uncomfortable.Some staff were sarcastic and overstepped the mark with personal comments about visitors.They say parking is available but not to all residents otherwise you pay £9 a day in the long stay. Entrance stank off cigerettes and was damp smelling.Could be a nice place if tidied up a bit needs a refurb. Seemed to be alot CCTV in premises what does this say about regulars?

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2008

ROOMS - what can I say, basically dirty. Toilet bowl had not been recently cleaned from previous use! Bathroom floor not been mopped.
Carpet not recently hoovered - skirting boards full of dust.
It is just somewhere to drop when you have been out having a few drinks and not really bothered about your surroundings.
The toilet in the bar downstairs - disgusting.

After seeing all the above I decided against the cooked breakfast next morning.

On the plus side the bedlinnen was clean, I checked.

Stayed: November 2008