“The perfect Bed and Breakfast Guest House”

Lake View Guest House & Coffee Shop
Preston, United Kingdom
“The perfect Bed and Breakfast Guest House”
Reviewed 14 September 2010

My wife and I stay with Dave and Manny two or three times a year for short breaks, each time we are treated with excellent service and good wholesome breakfasts.
Dave and Manny are the perfect hosts and nothing is too much trouble, you only need to ask. Can't recommend the B&B, Dave and Manny enough.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2010

My wife and I took my elderly mother in law for a week away in the Lake District and Manny and Dave couldn't have been nicer to all of us especially to my mum in law. They had fantastic local knowledge, the breakfast was the best I have ever tasted in years of staying at numerous B&B's around the country and absoloutely nothing was too much trouble for them. The B&B has a very relaxed atmosphere with lovely large rooms with comfy beds and certainly puts some bigger hotels that I have stayed in to shame. God willing, we hope to return to visit the lakes next year and will deffinately stay at The Lakeview Guest House again!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Perth
Reviewed 6 August 2010

From the first email response, I was comfortable that I'd picked a good place. As has been stated many times previously on these pages, you will be well looked after by the very friendly Dave & Manny. We had Room 4 for 7 nights. This is a good size room (made into a triple for us with a camp bed) with its own small sitting room. Plenty of storage. The bedroom looks out on to the bustling street which we didn't find noisy at all and is opposite the oldest building in Bowness (built in 1604 I think). The sitting room has oblique views across roof tops to the lake and hills beyond. There's a large parking lot right outside the window which is where you can park if you arrive by car. It's a short walk up the street and back down the lane to get there. When you arrive, Dave & Manny will bring your gear up for you while you park outside on the double yellows.

The large beds are SO comfortable as are the pillows which is a real treat. Even the camp bed was comfy according to our teenager. One of the best things is the reading lights above the beds - so few hosts think of this and we prefer to read than watch TV.

There's a small fridge and fresh milk is provided with the tea/coffee making facility. There's a TV in the bedroom and another with DVD player in the sitting area. Rooms are kept immaculate; we were out all day every day and I think Dave & Manny must have spent most of the day cleaning our room. I'm pretty sure it got vacuumed, dusted & tidied daily. The towels were changed about every 3 nights. We looked forward to finding our little daily treat when we came back from exploring.

The shower was the best we had on our UK trip - you could even turn around in it which was a bonus. This was also cleaned every day.

We couldn't always access the internet in the room and sometimes sat on the stairs to get a reception. There is a 'no smoking in rooms' policy but we could often smell cigarette smoke wafting up which might irritate some people.

Now to the breakfast. As there are only 4 rooms, the dining room doesn't get too crowded and you'll get served in the order of arrival. Breakfast is only available from 8.30-9.00am which suited us fine but if you wanted to go walking at the crack of dawn or sleep in, I suppose it could be an issue. On the other hand, if you asked in advance, I expect Dave & Manny would happily accommodate you. It's self-serve cereal and juice, then eggs made to order along with mushrooms, tomatoes, potatoes, toast, beans and I've probably left something out. If you try and omit something, Dave will just talk you into it again so be prepared for a BIG breakfast. Some guests were chatty, others kept to themselves but the dining room is small enough that you can compare notes with your neighbours should you wish. Vegetarians and kipper-eaters are catered for. Oh yes, I have forgotten the bacon and sausages. All locally produced fare apparently.

I'm not sure about the 'Coffee Shop' part of its name. I didn't notice it being open other than for breakfast but, then again, we weren't there much after breakfast and I never had occasion to ask.

It rained every single day of our stay but we had a good time in spite of it. Well, I hope that gives you a fair & accurate assessment of our experience. Dave and Manny are the friendliest hosts you could expect to meet and spent plenty of time chatting to us after our days out exploring the beautiful scenery of Cumbria. One evening we were invited to join them for a beer and had a good chat. I think it's true to say that we arrived as guests and left as friends and I have no hesitation in recommending this B&B.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank bilasukari
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 June 2010

Stayed in a family room with young daughter, plenty of space for the three of us. Was pleasantly surprised with the mini kitchen in one corner with microwave, sink and fridge which was most helpful. The room was comfortable with a good lake view from the bathroom - I certainly didn't see anything wrong with the furniture or furnishings, especially given the good value. We weren't charged for our daughter (she was under 3, however). The room was pleasant and nice to come back to. The hosts could not have been more welcoming, and at the same time were unobrusive. Breakfast was perfect. Shopping and restaurants just across the road, lake cruises very near.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Mam029
Aberystwyth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2010

Stayed here over NuYear, and was made to feel very welcome.
David & Manny were very helpful and friendly without being in-yer-face. They had friends staying & invited us to join them all for dinner (we sadly declined as going elsewhere) and were full of useful advice (including teaching me how to poach an egg).
The B&B is ideally suited in the centre of town but was never noisy. There are at least six great places to eat within 150 yards (we'd recommend Lucy4) and the same number of interesting pubs. At the other end of town the Fat Olive did my best meal of the holiday - venison with sweet potato rosti.
Room 3 is spacious, with a pleasant view of the street outside, but weirdly the best view is out of the bathroom over Lake Windemere.
Breakfast was excellent and they gave us Cava & chocs as it was NuYear.
Bowness itself was surprisingly full of eats, drinks & shops, so much so that we were disappointed with Windemere village & only stayed ten minutes.
The B&B is close to the ferry too & we'd recommend a day trip to Ambleside.
Lakeview is a great base & I'd recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Liverpool
Reviewed 6 November 2009

We stayed at the lakeview for 3 nights and really enjoyed our stay. The owners are very helpful and friendly and made us feel very welcome. The b n' b itself is set in an excellent location just a few minutes walk from the lake and all the local pubs and restaurants and also many hiking trails. I would recommend staying here to anyone, the best bed and breakfast in Bowness! Enjoy!!

• Stayed November 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank LiverpoolPablo
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 17 October 2009

Great location and Bowness is the place to base yourself.
Good value and standard for a budget B&B.
The owners were really friendly and helpful.
Our room was pretty large and clean but very basic and the bed, setee and furnishings had seen better days and were ready to be replaced.
Not really what we expected after the other B&B's that we had been staying at around the UK.
Ok for the budget consious.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple