“"Upgraded" to smallest bedroom in the house.”

Eastbourne Guest House
“"Upgraded" to smallest bedroom in the house.”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

I paid extra to have a late cancellation on this. When I tried to cancel I was told I was too late & the full balance wd be deducted whether I came or not.
So when we did arrive & spoke to owner via intercom he said "Oh yes, we've been exchanging emails, I've upgraded you to a king size room to keep you.....er....happy". Nice customer skills.
Then the intercom cut out before he buzzed us in & we had to wait another few minutes for him to answer as he got "distracted by another phone call".
We were extremely disappointed with our 'upgrade' as it was much smaller than any of the rooms shown online & didn't have the sofa as stated is in every room. Instead it was very small, with a dressing table so close to the bed that the stool couldn't be used. There's was one window high up on the wall & like a reboots reviewer said, there's a scurrying/rattling noise from the roof.
I had arranged beforehand for gluten free breakfast. This consisted of one sausage instead of the two which everyone else received. I was also given 2 slices of gluten free toast which would have been nice had there not been a hair on it both days.
The ladies who served meals & cleaned seemed nice enough and a positive aspect of our stay was they allowed us to leave our luggage there on our last day. Another positive aspect was the location, close to restaurants & the cinema which does a meal & movie deal which is worthwhile.
Our room was also quite clean & the bathroom looked quite new, but the stairways had shelves along them which were thick with dust.
On our last day we caught a glimpse of the other rooms - spacious, beautifully decorated with leather 2 sweaters & large windows with nice views.
Upgraded? My foot!
Would I recommend it? No.
Will I be back? No.
We plan to return to Bowness again soon, but have chosen an alternative accommodation.

• Stayed April 2013
16 Thank Catleon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Myself and my partner stayed for one night on Thursday 18 April. We arrived at about 7.30 in the evening and went straight out for a meal in one of the pubs nearby. Good location for most of amenities. We were up first thing and had checked out by 9am as we were pushed for time and wanted to visit the lake (also very nearby). We stayed in one of the superior rooms which is well worth paying a little extra for. Very comfortable and spacious. Great shower.

Breakfast was a little rushed but very good.

Even though we had barely unpacked as we had plans, i received a text message from the owner the next day to ask me to contact him as we had not reported any damage to the TV stand in the bedroom upon checking out. I called him straight back to explain that the reason for this was because we were not aware of any damage! When i was asked to shed any light on it obviously i could not. As far as i am aware we were not asked to pay anything however it left a very sour taste after an otherwise lovely stay. I appreciate these things must be looked into however this must have been done before we arrived and perhaps should have been checked.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
19 Thank Kaye L
Pembroke
Reviewed 8 April 2013

On every 14th of Feb my wife and i always try some were romantic as on the 14th is my birthday,our wedding anniversary and Valentin's day this time we chose lake district uk we stayed at Eastbourne b&B in Bowness on Windermere lovely room with a view the bed and pillows were very comfortable very clean sheets and towels small bathroom but very cosy breakfast could be better even the service could be better but on the whole we loved it its in a very good location as its not far from restaurants bars shops and the lake. Bowness Is a very nice little town but its a must to hire a car because you need one to get around we went to very nice towns like we went up to York Penrith Kendal Ambleside thanks to our little Toyota. The walks by lake very romantic. We had fish and chips at a very good and very clean English fish and chip shop called shell shop in Ambleside very nice mate keep it up and for a very traditional steak and kidney pie we went to st martins tea room in bowness very tasty and fresh well in one word thank you lake district we enjoyed it in any way PAUL & CLAIRE FROM MALTA

Room Tip: room no 7 large room with own bathroom and a view
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 April 2013 via mobile

Stayed Easter wkend in room 6. Comfortable bed, nice towels & clean room. Electric shower was poor. Breakfast was nice, but cooked part always seemed rushed, arriving just before or as you finished cereal. Good location, just 2 mins walk into Bowness, 20mins to Windermere.

• Stayed March 2013
17 Thank nremmer
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

On arrival spoke to someone via intercom. We were shown to the annex room by the cleaner who spoke little English. Room was fair, but breakfast was disappointing. Asked what we would like, but told the waitress we had not been given a menu. Two menus were literally thrown on the table. The breakfast itself was below par; neither my wife or I ate the sausages because they were raw! Plates were collected and we were not asked if everything was O.K. even though we had both left a lot of uneaten food. Would not recommend.

20 Thank BRI866
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 March 2013

Its a nice house, the room was clean and tidy and a very good newly fitted out bathroom. We only ever spoke to the owners over the phone and through the intercom which felt a bit impersonal but not really a complaint as they sounded friendly enough. There was a problem with the payment through booking.com and also with their card machine (it wasn't a lack of funds on my behalf!). Anyway we had to take cash which I didn't mind but I'm used to paying once I check out, not before I've even stayed or seen the room; I can only assume that they have suffered with 'runners' in the past! The breakfast was average (I didn't think much of the sausages) but the staff were very friendly and very helpful offering extra tea, coffee, toast etc which is nice because its surprising how many places don't! Good value for what we paid, didn't exceed any expectations but in a good location and the free parking space is also a plus.

14 Thank Dynamike1984
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Positives:
Eastbourne is walking distance from the Pier and close to all the good restaurants. They provide dedicated parking space for each room. The check-in and check out process is quite hassle-free (as pointed out in other reviews, we never happen to meet the owner!) - money gets deducted from the card you provide during booking and you hand over the keys and parking permit to the ladys managing the property.

Negatives:
The B&B staff do not understand English and not at all welcoming! We wanted to enquire about vegetarian brkfast options and they lady just walked off assumed what we wanted and got us something. They don't talk to you properly. Everday walking down to the breakfast table was a challenge!! The food though was quite decent.

Room Tip: Go for the Super King room (number 3)
23 Thank amipro