“Unfriendly”

Eastbourne Guest House
North West
“Unfriendly”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2010

I agree with review re 'rude hosts' - we stayed at The Eastbourne for 2 nights just before Christmas 09' and found Marina to be very highly strung and quite rude. We were aware that Martin was ill so couldn't help her but to be asked what we wanted for breakfast before we had even booked in seemed a bit out of order. When we asked what the choice was she told us the menu was in the welcome pack in the bedroom, which we hadn't even been up to yet! She seemed 'put out' when we told her we would have to look at this before we decided and she told us she would need to know what we wanted on both mornings as soon as possible.
The morning we booked out, a lady who was helping out in the kitchen told us we would have to wait to book out as Marina was busy and she wasn't able to do this for us. I told the lady we were in a rush and heard Marina shout that we would have to come back later. When I told the lady that we had paid the bill already and there was nothing else to pay, Marina shouted that we should just go then!!! I won't be going back to this rather unfriendly guest house and wouldn't recommend it to friends either.

Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2010

We stayed at this guest house for two nights. We booked a superior room and were allocated room 7. The room was comfortable, clean and warm and the bathroom was nice and clean and the shower pressure was good. The host Martin was welcoming and friendly and the breakfast was good. Would not hesitate to reccommend this Guest House.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
North Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2010

We were looking for somewhere to stay in the Lakes, for a four day break, and booked the Eastbourne guest house. We are already planning to go again. This is excellent accommodation. The room was all you could ask for and the breakfast choice very good. The owners are friendly and helpful. Highly recomended.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
Nr Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2010

My partner and I (25yrs old) stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. On arrival in the evening, there was plenty of signposted and available parking spaces, (even though it had been snowing!) We did have to call the owners to gain entry to the B&B, but we later discovered that the owners Martin and Marina do not live on site and Martin was home bound, due to illness and a recent spell in hospital. Marina was with us within a minute, and she welcomed us and booked us in. We were shown to our room, room 7, a superior room on 3rd floor, and talked through the facilities available, and were required to choose our breakfast option.
Room- lovely, spacious, clean, everything you need. Variety of tea's/coffee's/ hot chocolate and biscuits, restocked daily. Sky box on room, but only freeview channels available, but TV is DVD combi. Room was always made promptly between 1030 and 12. Shower was brilliant, just what you need after a long walk. Wifi available, and computer on first floor for use also.
Breakfast was was served between 830-915, and was superb, fresh orange and apple juice, coffee and tea. Toast, variety of cereals, yoghurts, croissants, fruit and jams...and thats even before the hot choice. Full english, veggie full english, egg and bacon muffin and 'anything' on toast. You do have to choose your hot option the day before, but you can change your mind up to around 8pm.
Location was brilliant, just up a side road, a minute or two walk into Bowness, which is right on lake Windermere. Plenty of shops and restaurants there too.
I can see how in another review, how a guest deemed Marina to be abrupt or rude, she is not English and does not have the same sense of humour as us Brits do...and that aside she not only had to run a business alone but care for her sick husband. I was very disappointed that the previous review was so inconsiderate of that. We did speak to Martin on the phone on more than one occassion, he was very friendly and helpful, apologetic even, to the fact he was not available.
All in all, we had a fantastic trip and would recommend this over and over, we are returning in the summer for another stay.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank loulou0987
middlesex
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 December 2009

Good points:

Nice clean room – We stayed in the superior room
Nice Comfortable Bed

Bad Points:

Rude, Arrogant Hosts – Prior to booking I initially called to find out some information about the room and facilities and it went through to their answering. Left a message and got a phonecall back whilst leaving a message. Host Martin answered and said I didn't let the phone ring for long enough for him to answer which I thought was very rude. He apologised when I explained it went through to the answering machine but I was left feeling somewhat upset by this point. I continued with the booking giving it the benefit of the doubt. Lack of choice didn’t help either. When we arrived we had trouble parking the car due to the amount of snow. When I went in explaining the trouble I and another guest were having, the hostess was more concerned about checking us in than the trouble we were having trying to park the car. When we asked whether it would be ok to park where to had she just shrugged her shoulders saying I don’t know! In the end we managed to find out where it was ok to park by consulting nearby residents. Upon checking in I asked about the host Martin whom she said was in hospital. When I asked how he was she shrugged her shoulders and arrogantly replied she didn’t know.

Wi-Fi Access – We were in the superior room and the Wi-Fi signal was poor. However there was another Wi-Fi connection available with excellent reception which turned out to be their personal connection. I explained the problem and he allowed me to use it.

Breakfast – Only from 9am to 9.30am. The first morning we had missed breakfast and later on we met the hostess whom asked arrogantly whether we were going to have breakfast tomorrow. During the breakfast the next day we were seated to our table by a nice gentleman who was working there. The dining area was nice and the breakfast table was well laid out. The gentleman bought out our breakfast and asked if there anything else we would like so I asked if I could have some bacon. The next thing we heard was a commotion from the kitchen and charging out comes Martina the hostess. In front of 8 other guests she embarrassed me, speaking abruptly that I could only have what we ordered and that she doesn’t make spare. I explained we were asked if there was anything else we wanted and I asked. We overheard the gentleman apologising to the hostess after and explaining that she should not have spoken to her guests like that. Later towards the end of the breakfast she came up and asked softly whether I would like a Cumberland sausage she had as spare but I had nearly finished my breakfast and nor was I in the mood. No apology about the way I was spoken at.

Room was not made up when we requested – We left our room at 12am to go out returning at 5pm.

Toilet took three attempt to flush.

Shower pressure low – Previous complaint had same problem and told by hosts that the superior rooms had power shower. I can confirm that’s a lie.

£84 per night – Expensive for a double room.

I’m aware some guests have tried to seek compensation for their poor stay but I’m not in the habit of complaining but do want others to be aware of our experience as I do value trip advisor reviews.

Based on the overall experience I would NOT RECOMMEND this B&B. I would look elsewhere as the rude hosts spoilt our stay.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank drummaster
west yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2009

this is the first time we have been to lake districts and the guest house was really nice v clean and martin the owner was v helpfull. breakfast was lovely jst 5 mins walk from lake we are going again next year to same place wud recomend this guest house.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Lanarkshire Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2009

As a Party of six we booked 3 seperate rooms for 2 nights. Each of our rooms were extremely spacious, comfortable,clean and very pleasant. The proprietor Martin & Marina were very welcoming and hospitable. The breakfasts including the local 'cumberland sausage' were very good. The location was very central. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and would not hesitate to recommend this guest house if you are looking for somewhere, homely that represents 'value for money'

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family