My family and I stayed in the Family Room of the New Hall Bank B&B this summer over my birthday weekend. Location wise the guest house is in a prime spot, just 5 minutes walk away from the centre of Bowness, and even less to the brilliantly quaint "The Hole In The Wall" pub.
The building itself is a pleasant enough and in terms of layout is an "old fashioned" style of guest house with a little common room / TV room for the guests, but a modern breakfast room on the lower ground floor. If you're up early for breakfast you might be able to sit in the conservatory part of the dining area which is where the lake view is.
When we got to the breakfast room (first up) we were asked by Doug to sit elsewhere so that other families could sit as groups - no hard feelings about this because he was only trying to keep the guest as happy as possible, but in retrospect perhaps we should have asked to sit in there and insist on "first come best seated" basis. While on the subject of breakfast, service from Doug (and cooking from Ivy) was fast and efficient and the bottom line is that they were keen to keep everyone well fed and happy.
The room itself was surprisingly spacious, and nice and modern. As other reviewers have mentioned, the en-suite is a modular plastic installation in the corner of the room. I would go so far as to agree that this is a bit of a shame, since indeed it is very small (and the room can afford bigger) and a little "plastic" and not really in keeping with the room. That said, it's perfectly functional (and the shower is really good), and when weighed up against shared bathrooms, personally I still feel it's better to have this - which is convenient, clean, and private. Hopefully any future renovations will be able to consider a constructed en-suite, but until then it's not as big a deal as some have made out - I understand the limitations, and it's a welcome feature.
In terms of other room facilities, iron, ironing board, and coffee/tea/biscuits were provided, and there was a small flat screen TV mounted on the wall (but realistically a bit too small by modern standards). We were rained in early one evening so a decent TV was something we could have made use of - but the fact we opted to stay in and have an early night gives some indication of the comfort we felt in the room.
All in all, it's not faultless but I enjoyed our stay here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Overlooking Lake Windermere - 4 star accommodation -Rooms with Lake Views - Parking - En-suite rooms equiped with all you need to ensure a comfortable stay - 1 min shops/bars/attractions - Full English Breakfast - No Pets - Children over 8yrs only. internet in guest lounge ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your New Hall Bank reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- New Hall Bank Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere
- New Hall Bank Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District