We stayed at this guest house for 2 nights whilst visiting the Lakes and was very disappointed indeed. We booked what was described as a 'Superior Double room with Lake view' and were very disappointed indeed when we saw it. The 'Hotel' leads you to believe from it's website that it is four star!...Let us warn you it is definatley NOT four star. The room we originally booked, and were subsequently moved from, was on the top floor (lots of steep stairs to climb) and yes.. you could see the lake over the rooftops of the buildings behind...if you could find a decent clear spot through the failed double glazing! There was black mildew on the sills and frames inside the window, the bed was badly made and had filthy scuff marks all around the bottom, then furniture was falling apart, there was rust all along the radiator bottom, a damp patch with mould on the en-suite ceiling and a filthy glass containing toopaste residue in rusted glass holder above the sink! There was a fitted wardrobe that looked like it had been knocked together out of banna crates, a thick layer of dust on the lamps and telephone/radio etc. etc. To be fair to the staff, they were very friendly and the day manager (cant remember his name) offered us another room and a discount, which, given that it was late in the day and I didnt fancy driving home again, we took. The second room was much better and had a fourposter bed and was newly decorated. The door however was very difficult to un-lock and could be a potential danger if ever there was a fire. The food was average but my wife opened a yoghurt on the second morning and found that it was mouldy! I also didint appreciate being questioned by the european gentleman who was responsible for the cleaning of the rooms; why I wasnt happy with the first room whilst I was having my breakfast! The sad thing about the whole experience is that the place could be 4 star with a little investment and greater care in cleaning.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fantastic Central Location close to Lake Windermere, Beatrix Potter Attraction, Restaurants, shops etc. Having Lake View Rooms, Four Poster Rooms and Family Rooms. Parking on site. Guests can relax in the Lounge or have a drink at the well stocked bar. For a great holiday at a great price contact us and take advantage of our excellent deals. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Lonsdale House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lonsdale House Hotel Bowness-On-Windermere
- Lonsdale House Bowness-On-Windermere, England - Lake District