Holmlea Guest House
Hotels.com
Windermere Hydro Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$240
  • Pool
Macdonald Old England Hotel & Spa(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$278
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
The Burn How Garden House Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
US$248
US$224
Laura Ashley Hotel The Belsfield(Bowness-on-Windermere)
Hotels.com
Cranleigh Boutique(Bowness-on-Windermere)
Linthwaite House(Bowness-on-Windermere)
White Lodge Hotel(Bowness-on-Windermere)
Stags Head(Bowness-on-Windermere)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsgreat locationb bselection of beveragesstroll awayroom and en suitelocal busesoff road parkingshower pressurelovely guesthouseon arrivallovely breakfastmacdonald hotelstayed two nightsstay there againlake districtbed was very comfortablewarm welcome
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 April 2014

The Holmlea Guest House is spotless can't fault it one bit. Comfortable rooms, beds & pillows. Tea/coffee/biscuits in the room and bottled water an extra welcome touch to make your stay pleasant. The breakfast and host excellent. Gill is very friendly and welcoming. The GH has parking which is an added bonus in Bowness. The GH is in an excellent quiet location and is ideally located just a few minutes walk into the centre of Bowness and its many shops and restaurants First class in every respect and we will be back. A1 ****

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
cumbriaboss, Owner at Holmlea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2014

Thank you so much Jo for your lovely comments. It was a pleasure to have you all as our guests and we look forward to seeing you all again.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Holmlea Guest House is ideally located just a few minutes walk into the centre of Bowness and its many shops and restaurants. There is parking although I imagine it could be a bit tight when busy. It is handy for exploring both Bowness and further afield.

The room and en-suite were both very clean, however the room was smaller than expected compared to pictures on the website. There was ample tea, coffee etc. and we could see the lake from our room which was lovely! There were extra pillows and blankets too, if required.

Unfortunately both of us sometimes felt like a bit of an inconvenience. There were signs everywhere telling you what not to do. On reading the information book we found further rules and it wasn't the usual customer-focused attitude which we have received in other guest houses. I feel that this may be down to previous bad experiences but shouldn't impact on other guests.

Breakfast was adequate, however when I opted not to have the cooked breakfast I got a very frosty response. Some of the choices were limited: no fruit on offer and only a choice of grapefruit or orange juice (I know many people that this wouldn't suit). We were offered plenty of tea and toast however.

Sadly despite it's great location neither of us would stay again due to all the rules and the feeling that we dare not do anything wrong.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank mrm24
cumbriaboss, Owner at Holmlea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Thank you for your comments. We value your feedback.

The room you had has recently been refurbished to a very high standard. Unfortunately luggage can take up part of the room if it is not stored out of the way while a guest is using the room. There is plenty of space to store cases etc.

Our room folder and signs around the house are there for guidance and safety. When guests are new to our premises we feel it's appropriate to have this information available.

I'm sorry if you felt an inconvenience to us. That was not the impression I thought I was giving and I took most interest in how your holiday was going and how you had been spending your days with us.

I did ask when you arrived if a breakfast was required and I got a resounding yes, so perhaps I was a little shocked when only one breakfast was ordered the next morning when I had already cooked it.

It's a shame you don't feel you would want to stay again. I suppose we cannot please everyone but we try our very best to do so.

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Made to feel welcome from the start, great to be able to leave the car and get lunch whilst our room was being made ready. Gill moved her car for us as my husband had an early start the next morning and she arranged an early breakfast for him too. Well positioned place for walking into Bowness and spoilt for choice for places to eat, although at busy times you do need to book for several places. Room was comfortable and had all we required, very clean and well equipped. Will definitely be recommending to friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
cumbriaboss, Owner at Holmlea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2014

Thanks for your comments. It was lovely to meet you both and hope to see you again soon. Nothing was too much trouble and I'm glad we made your stay enjoyable.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Very friendly and welcoming. Jill went out of her way to make my stay enjoyable. Guest house was bright and clean and in a good location. Didn't have a cooked breakfast, but they looked lovely. Other guests were commenting positively. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: I had booked a single room which wasn't on-suite. The bathroom was recently refurbished and always spotlessly clean. A bathrobe was provided for the short trip. Would be happy to use this again.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo

Thanks Stuart for your comments. Hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

We had the pleasure of staying at Holmlea in February. When we arrived we were welcomed by the lovely Jill. The room was absolutely spotless with modern décor & a lovely en-suite. Unfortunately we only booked for one night as we were had to stay over for a family funeral the next day. Jill kindly cooked us an early breakfast as we had to be on our way quite early. The breakfast very !!! good. Full English was all local produce. Will definitely be returning this year as it is only a few minutes walk from bars restaurants shops & Lake Windermere.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
cumbriaboss, Owner at Holmlea Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Thank you for your lovely comments. It was a pleasure meeting you and we hope to see you again soon.So glad to be of service.