“A warm and friendly place very welcoming”
Review of Barrie Guest House

Barrie Guest House
Reviewed 26 March 2011

I stayed at barrie house in february and i have to say the service was second to none, friendly staff, vey warm welcoming and homley, the rooms are lovely cosy just what you would expect. Very reasonable to, i can fully recommend this guest houst. I have read past reviews and have to say that this guest house was only took over by the new management in december so please i wouldnt let any comments before that affect any decisions to stay there.G ive it a try.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank tantalisingtina
There are newer reviews for Barrie Guest House

Reviewed 19 January 2011

lovely B & B...
The breakfast was served by the gorgeous steve in a Tafetta Ballgown with his lovely wife Pam providing the background music on her Bontempi Organ.
Lovely fresh eggs provided by their chickens who stay in room 4.
Will definitely stay here again.
Harry Verdechy

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank yoshimi_11
Reviewed 27 July 2009

Following the two excellent reviews on here, and lured by the promise of a lounge with cooking facilities/free wi-fi, I decided to book the Barrie for my first week's stay in Barrow as a contractor.

To her credit, the owner did stay up for my late arrival (9.30pm) but things went downhill when she sent me up to the top floor with my bags, and disappeared off not to be seen again til the next morning. I was in room 12, and whilst for £25 per night I certainly didn't expect a palace, I didn't expect...

1. A window that couldn't be closed, in a room on the main road.
2. The stray hairs to be found in the shared bathroom.
2. A TV on a table so low (and no other place to put it) that only the top of the box could be seen from the only viewing point available, the bed.
3. Worst of all - a very large pane of glass above the door, stretching all the way up to the ceiling, and looking out onto the landing where the lights blazed all night. It was so bright, I could read with all of the lights in my room turned off.

I gave up on the possibility of any sleep at about 4am, and looking slightly haggard I turned up to breakfast, explained how uncomfortable I had been (which was met with a bit of a blank look, and no suggestions as to how the light issue or the window could be dealt with), and asked for a different room. I knew that the other rooms on the floor were all fine as the doors had been left open for new arrivals and I'd peeked in - properly equipped, not on the road etc etc and most importantly without a glass pane above the door.

This was met with a firm no, and it was explained to me that even though the rooms weren't taken as yet, they were expecting some contractor regulars later in the day. I understand the need to take care of repeat customers, but I could have been one of them, if only they'd bothered to try and help me!

As it is, I can recommend the place for its very good breakfasts and the residents facilities as outlined above, but I'm afraid I will not be particularly complimentary about it otherwise to any of my colleagues/people I meet during my prolonged stay. If you have booked here, make sure it's not in a room that's perma-lit! Otherwise, wave goodbye to sleep.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank SueDN
Reviewed 18 April 2009

I had to come to Barrow for an extended business trip which I decided to combine with an extra leisure day to spend in the Lakes. I picked Barrie House out of the list on the council website because it was in my price range, looked relatively near to the station and the first place I contacted was fully booked. My luck was in -- this is a clean, friendly, welcoming place run with a personal touch by owner-managers Marion and John. However note that it's very much oriented at business travellers and contractors -- local submarine builder BAE Systems ensures a steady supply of the latter. Breakfast during the week is 0600-0800hrs, which may not suit the leisure visitor!

It's one of several accommodation providers on Barrow's "B&B mile", Abbey Road, but it's nearer the southern end of this strip, about 5-10 minutes walk from the station and 10-15 minutes from the town centre, so well-placed, and almost opposite one of the town's jewels, the magnificent Barrow Park, a large urban park recently restored to its former Edwardian glory which encompasses a leisure centre and swimming pool.

My en suite room was small and basic but impeccably clean, including a comfortable single bed, digital TV and wireless internet -- all I needed save for a desk to work at. The shower wasn't the most powerful one in the world but did the business, and there are shared bathrooms to if you want to lounge. Downstairs there's a guest lounge with crockery, cutlery and a microwave for sorting out your own takeaway or ready meal food -- local options are rather limited so this might be welcome, although there's a decent Chinese, Jade Fountain, in the town centre, and a reasonable Pub Grub place, the Strawberry, in the other direction along Abbey Road.

Marion and John were lovely and really made me feel at home. At the weekend, with all their contractors gone home, I was the only guest, and they even gave me a lift into the Lakes as they were going my way that day!

If you don't mind early morning breakfasts I think you'd be challenged to find better for the price round here.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank dirkgb
Reviewed 1 May 2008

I was almost giving up hope of finding somewhere reasonably priced for a one night stay in Barrow that wasn't too far from where I was working the following day. However, I finally rang the Barrie Guest House and booked an en suite room for £35.
The guest house was about a ten minute walk from the railway station - I was walking past some rather dodgy looking B&B's and was hoping that Barrie House would be better!
My first impression was how nice the garden looked for the time of year, with scented flowers in borders and a bench by the lawn. I received a friendly greetng from the owner who was keen to welcome me. I didn't have to pay on arrival (always a good sign!) and was told about the various facilities including a downstairs visitors lounge with microwave etc should I wish to bring a ready meal back from the supermarket!
My first floor room was more like a small flat with a little hallway with bedroom and bathroom both leading off it. It was clean, spacious and well appointed. Most surprisingly, there was a freeview box which meant that my evenings viewing was much expanded from the usual (even the expensive hotels rarely have freeview!). There was also internet access available - amazing for a small guest house.
My only gripe was that there was only one sachet of coffee. I am sure that my host would have remedied this but I really didn't want to disturb him so went in search of the visiors lounge. Sure enough, down some stairs was a television room with large tv and piles of films on video. Fridge, kettle and mcrowave were free to use and a cupboard revealed crockery and utensils plus tea and coffee in jars - unfortunately, the coffee was several years out of date so I didn't bother! However, this was a tiny gripe and did nothing to spoil my stay.
The bed (of which there were two) was very comfortable and I had a good night's sleep. Breakfast was cooked to order and I was well catered for. Added to this was the convenience of the location - walking distance from the station and buses that were right opposite the hotel.
Highly recommended for an inexpensive stay with all the home comforts. I shall definitely go back!

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank LJMMcr