“Personal, friendly hotel”
Review of Lisdoonie Hotel

Lisdoonie Hotel
Ranked #8 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Have just returned from a three night stay at the Lisdoonie, no complaints what so ever. I toold them roughly what time I would be arriving, someone was in reception waiting on our arrival. Compaired with some hotels the rooms were spacious and clean, the staff were very friendly and helpful. We complained about the kettle in our room, on our return we had a new one. We asked in advance if we could have a shower in our room, as the wife had a shoulder injury and could not use a bath, we got a room with a shower. We were there for a funeral, and asked if our room could be cleaned last as we needed to get ready for the funeral, no problem. Beware with the evening meals, as they are huge portions, have something light lunchtimes. Would use this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 March 2012

We came to Barrow for a family occasion. First impressions on arrival was that the hotel could do with a bit of an update, but the staff were friendly and even arranged a taxi for us for our evening out. The room we stayed in was a good size, clean and comfortable with tea and coffee making facilities, because we were out for the evening we didn't eat at the hotel but breakfast in the morning was good. We have stayed in Barrow before but closer to the town which we found could be quite noisy. The Lisdoonie is ideally placed, in a quiet location but close enough to the town. This will definately be our hotel of choice the next time we come to Barrow

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank minnime201
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Beautiful food, friendly staff and comfortable room. Excellent value for money

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank HeatherCook80
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I was booked in for three nights but had to leave after two. I have never slept in a creakier bed and I selected the quieter of the two in my garret room. No shower, only a bath, is not acceptable in this day and age. The staff seemed to be going through the motions rather than providing a service. I recognised several other guests eating in the pub across the road rather than trying the limited evening menu.
The bar remained deserted and in darkness throughout my stay, completely unwelcoming.
I would sleep in my car rather than using this hotel again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank scotty_123
Reviewed 3 August 2011

I stayed at the Lisdoonie for 3 nights. After a long journey I was keen to check-in and get to bed. Upon finding someone to check me in I was made to feel like an inconvenience rather than a guest. I had been reserved a room without a shower (why would such a thing exist?) and my request to be moved was met with many grumbles.

I started to regret my choice of hotels, my opinion didn't change as I was pointed towards my room. The decor doesn't get any better as you move through the hotel - it felt a little bit like staying at your gran's house. Although my gran's house never felt unclean...

Breakfast was far from great. Tables were left uncleared and staff were monosyllabic at best. I won't be visiting again.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Jeffersonb
Reviewed 4 July 2011

The whole hotel looked tired, there was a bar but all drinks came from the kitchen, the bar was never open as such. The food was accepable but I ordered a sirloin steak, medium rare with chips it came with potatoes, when it was taken away and later returned with chips the steak had been warmed up in a microwave and had gone from meduium rare to well done. I felt let down. The stairs needed hoovering and were grubby.
The bedroom was clean and very roomy although the bathroom froor linolium was covered in holes. Room No1. Although it served its purpose the hotel is more suited to commercial travellers than a holiday stay.

Room Tip: Go to the Majestic its much better.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2010

i last stayed here almost three years ago and to tell the truth i wouldn't have come back , if it weren't for work . the standard of presentation for thew rooms has definetly improved . new carpets on the stairs and in my room (same as last time) . toiletries now provided and proprer full freeview flatscreen tv. it does see a little short staffed with the same person doing check in , table waiting , and bar work , but they are very friendly and approachable . allin all it does have more of a BnB feel , but ok for one or two nights

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled on business