“In our top 2 favourite hotels in the UK”
Review of Abbey House Hotel

Abbey House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
“In our top 2 favourite hotels in the UK”
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

This is the second time we have stayed at the Abbey House Hotel. From the moment you arrive you feel you are at home, while knowing you have checked in at a high class hotel. All the staff are well trained mostly young lads and girls overseen by a manager who seems to engender a good team spirit that is noticeable to the customer. The hotel has been refurbished since we last stayed and there has clearly been a huge amount of money spent on it and it shows. We arrived for afternoon tea which was excellent and we relaxed in the bar area until dinner at 8pm. The food was faultless as was the service. We stayed in room 104 and we were warned that there was a function on so there would be music until 12pm. That was ok for us as I play in band and enjoyed the music. However other couples might be better accommodated away from this area. The breakfast choice is probably the best we have seen any where in the world. We love this hotel and as with any hotel I doesn't matter how plush the surroundings are if the hotel staff are not well trained then the customer will not have the best experience. No worries with the Abbey House. We love it and we look forward to our next visit.

abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Thanks very much for your kind words, I'll be sure to pass them on to the team at Abbey House Hotel & Gardens. We do try to encourage a good interaction with our guests, not overly formal or intrusive and I'm really glad that translated into a great experience for you.
We are indeed a popular wedding venue but glad you were able to enjoy the music! where possible we do try to accommodate our guests looking for that peaceful break away from the late night excitement!
The top two hotels in the UK is high praise indeed, let's make it number one next time, please do enjoy an upgrade to our best available room upon booking on your next visit!
I hope to meet with you in the near future.
Kind Regards
John

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
Lancashire
Reviewed 3 April 2014

Abbey House Hotel I was told is currently finishing a multi million pound upgrade, apart from the tarmac machine driving away I could see any work going on in the other wing nor was I disturbed or effected. My company provided the Audio Visual for a two day conference at the hotel on the 24th March. When we arrived check in was very quick and pleasant staff where very helpful. My room 210 (Butterworth Suite I think) was in tip top condition, with all the facilities.
The staff where very helpful and one young man even offered to help us unload the van! (NEVER BEFORE IN OVER 25 YEARS HAS THAT HAPPENED!!!)
The crew and I went for dinner which was fabulous, and after setting up for the event next day I had the BEST nights sleep I can remember! (If I could, I'd have took that bed home with me in a van LOL!)
The morning breakfast was again top class with very friendly service and again willing and helpful staff throughout the day.
The event went without a hitch, glitch, or hiccup, and was even supplied with a couple of bottles of water for the AV Desk!
The end of the conference arrived and apart from struggling passing conference delegates in the bar area we packed up our kit with no problems.
Finally checkout was again a breeze, and I know the hotel offers a super fast checkout service as well.
I have never given a hotel and given 10/10 and trust me I have been to many in my business, but without doubt the Abbey House at Barrow deserves 11/10!
Well done to all the staff and team and I look forward to revisiting your hotel again.
Cheers Nigel Gregory
Director
Gregory Audio Visual Ltd
Blackburn.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank letstakeabreak
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thanks very much indeed Nigel for your kind words, I'll be sure to pass it onto the rest of the team.
The refurbishment is now drawing to the end of it's first phase and it's all looking splendid!
I hope the next time you visit it's for leisure and you get to enjoy all Abbey House has to offer.
Thanks again and I hope to see you again in the near future.
Blackpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Took my sister here for her 60th it was a surprise. She wasn't disappointed.We stayed in the annex as they were upgrading the main hotel. The room was lovely and clean the bathroom was very warm and clean and the beds were so comfy.we ate in the restaurant and the food was really good and breakfast was yummy.The staff were all very friendly especially Alistair in the restaurant. we had a lovely walk after our evening meal around the grounds. Well worth staying.

Room Tip: Twin room was quite roomy
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this review, 3 April 2014
Thanks very much indeed for your kind words, I'll be sure to pass them across to the team.
I was glad to read you enjoyed your celebrations in Oscar's, the perfect time to be dining after our wonderful refurbishment.
I hope to see you all again soon at Abbey House Hotel & Gardens
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed at the Abbey House Hotel on a Groupon offer, and had a lovely stay! The restaurant has been renovated and we were there for the opening night. Food and drink was fantastic and I can't praise the customer service highly enough.

We took our dog and were in a 'dog friendly' room. I was worried this might mean the room was a little scruffy but it was lovely, you'd never know a dog had been in there.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
What a treat to be in Oscar's on the opening night! I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay.
We positively welcome our four legged friends and have a lovely selection of our Cavendish rooms to accommodate. Our extensive grounds, over 14 acres, are the ideal spot for a good run in the morning after a hearty Oscar's breakfast! I hope to see you back at Abbey House in the near future. Feel free to contact us directly next time for the best savings.
wigan
Reviewed 27 March 2014

My husbands niece got married at this venue last friday, the room ,wedding, food, and staff were fantastic, and of course the bride looked amazing.The building is lovely after having been refurbished .The actual wedding service was lovely..

Room Tip: didnt stay overnight
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Vicky had the pleasure of being the first bride to get married on the Great Hall after the fantastic new refurbishment, one for the history books!
I'm glad you had an enjoyable time, I enjoyed looking after you all and hope to see you back at Abbey House Hotel & Gardens in the near future.
Kind Regards
John Horton
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed here with my gran on Saturday 8th March after winning a complimentary stay. Upon arrival the building itself is absolutely stunning, the young lady on reception was very friendly and very welcoming (and helpful!). Our room was beautiful, huge bed, very clean and modern bathroom, lovely view from our room and it also included plenty of tea and coffee facilities.
We ate in the restaurant in the evening, we had to wait a while for a table but that wasn't much of a problem for us, head waiter was very attentive, food was delicious (we had the fish and chips) and the overall service was fantastic. The only thing that ruined it for us was being woken up by the fire alarm at 3am. This wasn't anybody's fault; however this was the only fault. If this hadn't of happened, it would have been the perfect stay. Breakfast was fabulous, lots of choice - hot and cold.
Overall, I would absolutely stay here again, I would love to return to see the refurbishment!
Thankyou for a lovely stay!

abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
Many thanks for your review Hannah, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Abbey House Hotel & Gardens. I'll be sure to pass your kind words across to the team.
Please accept my apologies for the false alarm, it's always at the best times! but it is for our guests safety and wellbeing and hope your were able to get back to sleep without to much disturbance.
The main public areas are now open, with Oscar's now taking dining bookings.
I hope to see you back soon to enjoy all the wonderful changes we have made.
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Having just returned from an overnight stay at the Abbey House Hotel, I cannot praise it enough . Although the main hotel is undergoing refurbishment, the annex turned out to be really lovely - bright, clean and very comfortable. The bedrooms are well appointed, clean and nicely decorated, the bed extremely comfortable. The bathrooms are modern, bright and again, spotlessly clean.The staff couldn't do enough for us - from booking a taxi to ensuring that our order for evening meal (gorgeous by the way!) was rushed through and served within 15 mins of ordering so that we would not miss our taxi. The night porter, John, made sure we had an endless supply of hot toast and butter when we returned, late, from our night out. What a refreshing change to be looked after so well and made to feel that nothing was too much trouble.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this review, 11 March 2014
Thanks very much indeed for your kind words. The beds in the annex side are truly comfortable aren't they! The team at Abbey House are always happy to go the extra mile to ensure all of our guest experiences are memorable ones. I do hope you return after the refurbishment and experience an even greater level of enjoyment.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
Ambleside Salutation Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite

Been to Abbey House Hotel? Share your experiences!