“Outstanding”
Review of Abbey House Hotel

Abbey House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Reviewed 20 April 2014

Went on a Easter break and I can honestly say it was fabulous from start to finish, the quality of the rooms beautiful, stayed in the main house just been re done, very well,the staff were a credit to the hotel, we ate in the restaurant best food we've ever had even from some 5 star restaurants, the grounds are stunning and a great base to explore the lakes, we are already looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building well worth the little extra
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tracyjm665
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

It really is a pleasure to receive great feedback on the first phase of our refurbishment, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at Abbey House.
Oscar's has been well received by all of our diners and I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to all the team.
Abbey House Hotel & Gardens is indeed a great base to explore the lake district from, just a short drive from lakes Coniston & Windermere and also the lovely villages of Hawkeshead & Ambleside. I look forward to welcoming you again to Abbey House, please mention your previous visit for a complimentary upgrade!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at the Abbey House Hotel. From the moment you arrive you feel you are at home, while knowing you have checked in at a high class hotel. All the staff are well trained mostly young lads and girls overseen by a manager who seems to engender a good team spirit that is noticeable to the customer. The hotel has been refurbished since we last stayed and there has clearly been a huge amount of money spent on it and it shows. We arrived for afternoon tea which was excellent and we relaxed in the bar area until dinner at 8pm. The food was faultless as was the service. We stayed in room 104 and we were warned that there was a function on so there would be music until 12pm. That was ok for us as I play in band and enjoyed the music. However other couples might be better accommodated away from this area. The breakfast choice is probably the best we have seen any where in the world. We love this hotel and as with any hotel I doesn't matter how plush the surroundings are if the hotel staff are not well trained then the customer will not have the best experience. No worries with the Abbey House. We love it and we look forward to our next visit.

abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thanks very much for your kind words, I'll be sure to pass them on to the team at Abbey House Hotel & Gardens. We do try to encourage a good interaction with our guests, not overly formal or intrusive and I'm really glad that translated into a great experience for you.
We are indeed a popular wedding venue but glad you were able to enjoy the music! where possible we do try to accommodate our guests looking for that peaceful break away from the late night excitement!
The top two hotels in the UK is high praise indeed, let's make it number one next time, please do enjoy an upgrade to our best available room upon booking on your next visit!
I hope to meet with you in the near future.
Kind Regards
John

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Abbey House Hotel I was told is currently finishing a multi million pound upgrade, apart from the tarmac machine driving away I could see any work going on in the other wing nor was I disturbed or effected. My company provided the Audio Visual for a two day conference at the hotel on the 24th March. When we arrived check in was very quick and pleasant staff where very helpful. My room 210 (Butterworth Suite I think) was in tip top condition, with all the facilities.
The staff where very helpful and one young man even offered to help us unload the van! (NEVER BEFORE IN OVER 25 YEARS HAS THAT HAPPENED!!!)
The crew and I went for dinner which was fabulous, and after setting up for the event next day I had the BEST nights sleep I can remember! (If I could, I'd have took that bed home with me in a van LOL!)
The morning breakfast was again top class with very friendly service and again willing and helpful staff throughout the day.
The event went without a hitch, glitch, or hiccup, and was even supplied with a couple of bottles of water for the AV Desk!
The end of the conference arrived and apart from struggling passing conference delegates in the bar area we packed up our kit with no problems.
Finally checkout was again a breeze, and I know the hotel offers a super fast checkout service as well.
I have never given a hotel and given 10/10 and trust me I have been to many in my business, but without doubt the Abbey House at Barrow deserves 11/10!
Well done to all the staff and team and I look forward to revisiting your hotel again.
Cheers Nigel Gregory
Director
Gregory Audio Visual Ltd
Blackburn.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank letstakeabreak

Thanks very much indeed Nigel for your kind words, I'll be sure to pass it onto the rest of the team.
The refurbishment is now drawing to the end of it's first phase and it's all looking splendid!
I hope the next time you visit it's for leisure and you get to enjoy all Abbey House has to offer.
Thanks again and I hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Took my sister here for her 60th it was a surprise. She wasn't disappointed.We stayed in the annex as they were upgrading the main hotel. The room was lovely and clean the bathroom was very warm and clean and the beds were so comfy.we ate in the restaurant and the food was really good and breakfast was yummy.The staff were all very friendly especially Alistair in the restaurant. we had a lovely walk after our evening meal around the grounds. Well worth staying.

Room Tip: Twin room was quite roomy
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thanks very much indeed for your kind words, I'll be sure to pass them across to the team.
I was glad to read you enjoyed your celebrations in Oscar's, the perfect time to be dining after our wonderful refurbishment.
I hope to see you all again soon at Abbey House Hotel & Gardens

Reviewed 31 March 2014

Stayed at the Abbey House Hotel on a Groupon offer, and had a lovely stay! The restaurant has been renovated and we were there for the opening night. Food and drink was fantastic and I can't praise the customer service highly enough.

We took our dog and were in a 'dog friendly' room. I was worried this might mean the room was a little scruffy but it was lovely, you'd never know a dog had been in there.

Highly recommend.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2014

What a treat to be in Oscar's on the opening night! I was so pleased to read how much you enjoyed your stay.
We positively welcome our four legged friends and have a lovely selection of our Cavendish rooms to accommodate. Our extensive grounds, over 14 acres, are the ideal spot for a good run in the morning after a hearty Oscar's breakfast! I hope to see you back at Abbey House in the near future. Feel free to contact us directly next time for the best savings.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

My husbands niece got married at this venue last friday, the room ,wedding, food, and staff were fantastic, and of course the bride looked amazing.The building is lovely after having been refurbished .The actual wedding service was lovely..

Room Tip: didnt stay overnight
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Vicky had the pleasure of being the first bride to get married on the Great Hall after the fantastic new refurbishment, one for the history books!
I'm glad you had an enjoyable time, I enjoyed looking after you all and hope to see you back at Abbey House Hotel & Gardens in the near future.
Kind Regards
John Horton

Reviewed 26 March 2014

I stayed here with my gran on Saturday 8th March after winning a complimentary stay. Upon arrival the building itself is absolutely stunning, the young lady on reception was very friendly and very welcoming (and helpful!). Our room was beautiful, huge bed, very clean and modern bathroom, lovely view from our room and it also included plenty of tea and coffee facilities.
We ate in the restaurant in the evening, we had to wait a while for a table but that wasn't much of a problem for us, head waiter was very attentive, food was delicious (we had the fish and chips) and the overall service was fantastic. The only thing that ruined it for us was being woken up by the fire alarm at 3am. This wasn't anybody's fault; however this was the only fault. If this hadn't of happened, it would have been the perfect stay. Breakfast was fabulous, lots of choice - hot and cold.
Overall, I would absolutely stay here again, I would love to return to see the refurbishment!
Thankyou for a lovely stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Many thanks for your review Hannah, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay at Abbey House Hotel & Gardens. I'll be sure to pass your kind words across to the team.
Please accept my apologies for the false alarm, it's always at the best times! but it is for our guests safety and wellbeing and hope your were able to get back to sleep without to much disturbance.
The main public areas are now open, with Oscar's now taking dining bookings.
I hope to see you back soon to enjoy all the wonderful changes we have made.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Chetwynde Hotel
The Chetwynde Hotel
#6 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Hotel
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Ho...
#2 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Abbey House Hotel? Share your experiences!