“Lovely hotel”
Review of Abbey House Hotel

Abbey House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Reviewed 29 April 2014

We stayed over the bank hol and took our dog. The hotel is lovely and the staff are very welcoming. As we took the dog we were in one of the rooms at the end of the hotel which is unfortunately directly above the function room. Both nights we stayed there were weddings on so it was a little noisy, particularly on the second night as we had to report it (not usually fussy but exhausting after you've been at the lakes all day and the partying is going on until 2am) However, it does state this may happen on the website so don't let this put you off and if you have concerns just call first to see where you're staying - this is what we will do in future. We also didn't have our room cleaned after leaving the sign on the door requesting it which was a little disappointing but I'm sure if we had called reception and asked the staff would have been happy to help (it was just too late). The grounds are lovely and fantastic if you're taking a pet. The food was great and the cocktails equally as nice, we would definitely return and put the minor mishaps down to bad luck as I'm sure from the tehe reviews this doesn't happen much!

• Stayed: April 2014
2  Thank Kgr535
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

I was glad to read your overall stay wasn't compromised too much by our revellers! We are indeed a busy wedding venue...3 years running, Cumbria's Best! But that shouldn't spoil your visit. We do positively welcome our four legged friends but only allocate certain rooms when available, so please do call ahead, we try and be as transparent as possible with all of our guests as to what is happening in the hotel.
Abbey House Hotel & Gardens is the ideal base for walkers, along with our stunning 14 acres of grounds, your just a hop & a skip from the magnificent Lake District. I hope on your next visit you get the peace you need after a days trekking rather than the 2am alarm call! I'm sure a bottle of Oscar's wine will find it's way to your dinner table to welcome you back. I hope to see you all again soon.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

I booked in late and ended up in an external lodge house. The room (Orchard) was very nice,roomy and comfortable. As a business hotel, the mobile phone coverage is inadequate and WiFi signal can be weak with low download speeds. There are technology based systems to provide stronger signal for both issues; I use one at home. This hotel needs to invest to resolve this issue. Service at breakfast can be slow taking orders. Otherwise a good hotel for business use.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank DWMcC

Thanks very much for your review, I'm glad your overall stay was an enjoyable one. The Lodge is a very popular request to stay in at Abbey House and is now equally complimented by our recently refurbished rooms in the main house.
Your technical issues haven't gone unnoticed, we are right at the end of the line for the internet, something which can cause a slow service. Currently BT are carrying out a survey for us which, all being well, will see us install a private leased line just for the hotel guests, dramatically increasing speed for the business user. We'll be looking into the link you sent us and introduce, where possible, an improved mobile phone signal.
I hope to see you at Abbey House again soon and am very happy to receive such good constructive feedback.
John Horton

Reviewed 25 April 2014

15 of us travelled to the hotel from the Wirral on Good Friday, to attend my nephews wedding on Easter Saturday.
On Friday evening we ate in Oscar's - the staff sorted out seating and asked what meals we would like before we were actually called through to the tables to be served....food was superb, as was the service, all of the waiting on staff were friendly and efficient.
The wedding on the Saturday was something else - from start to finish it was organised perfectly, food was again superb and the weather was sunny - an added bonus making it a fabulous day!
For my husband and I it was our second visit - we were here for New Year's Eve - so we were expecting good food and venue and had advised the rest of the family how brilliant it was - none of us were disappointed.
Yes, the hotel is being refurbished - the main part of the hotel being done first, the new annexe scheduled for next year. But, the room my husband and I stayed in - room 206 - was clean and tidy, the bed was comfortable and we had all the facilities in the room we needed - I certainly hope it's not too long before we can visit again!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank wenwoo2014

I was very glad to read how much you enjoyed your recent wedding stay with us over the Easter break, it was indeed a wonderful day enjoyed by all. I also remember how the LP flowed on New Years Eve! I'm glad we lived up to the previous experience!
I do indeed hope to see you again soon, no doubt a summer party is in order to experience the refurbishment to the full! We'd be more than happy to offer our regular guests a complimentary room for such an occasion. I hope to see you all again soon.
John

Reviewed 20 April 2014

Went on a Easter break and I can honestly say it was fabulous from start to finish, the quality of the rooms beautiful, stayed in the main house just been re done, very well,the staff were a credit to the hotel, we ate in the restaurant best food we've ever had even from some 5 star restaurants, the grounds are stunning and a great base to explore the lakes, we are already looking forward to returning.

Room Tip: Stay in the main building well worth the little extra
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tracyjm665

It really is a pleasure to receive great feedback on the first phase of our refurbishment, I'm so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at Abbey House.
Oscar's has been well received by all of our diners and I'll be sure to pass on your kind words to all the team.
Abbey House Hotel & Gardens is indeed a great base to explore the lake district from, just a short drive from lakes Coniston & Windermere and also the lovely villages of Hawkeshead & Ambleside. I look forward to welcoming you again to Abbey House, please mention your previous visit for a complimentary upgrade!

Reviewed 6 April 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at the Abbey House Hotel. From the moment you arrive you feel you are at home, while knowing you have checked in at a high class hotel. All the staff are well trained mostly young lads and girls overseen by a manager who seems to engender a good team spirit that is noticeable to the customer. The hotel has been refurbished since we last stayed and there has clearly been a huge amount of money spent on it and it shows. We arrived for afternoon tea which was excellent and we relaxed in the bar area until dinner at 8pm. The food was faultless as was the service. We stayed in room 104 and we were warned that there was a function on so there would be music until 12pm. That was ok for us as I play in band and enjoyed the music. However other couples might be better accommodated away from this area. The breakfast choice is probably the best we have seen any where in the world. We love this hotel and as with any hotel I doesn't matter how plush the surroundings are if the hotel staff are not well trained then the customer will not have the best experience. No worries with the Abbey House. We love it and we look forward to our next visit.

abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thanks very much for your kind words, I'll be sure to pass them on to the team at Abbey House Hotel & Gardens. We do try to encourage a good interaction with our guests, not overly formal or intrusive and I'm really glad that translated into a great experience for you.
We are indeed a popular wedding venue but glad you were able to enjoy the music! where possible we do try to accommodate our guests looking for that peaceful break away from the late night excitement!
The top two hotels in the UK is high praise indeed, let's make it number one next time, please do enjoy an upgrade to our best available room upon booking on your next visit!
I hope to meet with you in the near future.
John

Reviewed 3 April 2014

Abbey House Hotel I was told is currently finishing a multi million pound upgrade, apart from the tarmac machine driving away I could see any work going on in the other wing nor was I disturbed or effected. My company provided the Audio Visual for a two day conference at the hotel on the 24th March. When we arrived check in was very quick and pleasant staff where very helpful. My room 210 (Butterworth Suite I think) was in tip top condition, with all the facilities.
The staff where very helpful and one young man even offered to help us unload the van! (NEVER BEFORE IN OVER 25 YEARS HAS THAT HAPPENED!!!)
The crew and I went for dinner which was fabulous, and after setting up for the event next day I had the BEST nights sleep I can remember! (If I could, I'd have took that bed home with me in a van LOL!)
The morning breakfast was again top class with very friendly service and again willing and helpful staff throughout the day.
The event went without a hitch, glitch, or hiccup, and was even supplied with a couple of bottles of water for the AV Desk!
The end of the conference arrived and apart from struggling passing conference delegates in the bar area we packed up our kit with no problems.
Finally checkout was again a breeze, and I know the hotel offers a super fast checkout service as well.
I have never given a hotel and given 10/10 and trust me I have been to many in my business, but without doubt the Abbey House at Barrow deserves 11/10!
Well done to all the staff and team and I look forward to revisiting your hotel again.
Cheers Nigel Gregory
Director
Gregory Audio Visual Ltd
Blackburn.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank letstakeabreak

Thanks very much indeed Nigel for your kind words, I'll be sure to pass it onto the rest of the team.
The refurbishment is now drawing to the end of it's first phase and it's all looking splendid!
I hope the next time you visit it's for leisure and you get to enjoy all Abbey House has to offer.
Thanks again and I hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 April 2014

Took my sister here for her 60th it was a surprise. She wasn't disappointed.We stayed in the annex as they were upgrading the main hotel. The room was lovely and clean the bathroom was very warm and clean and the beds were so comfy.we ate in the restaurant and the food was really good and breakfast was yummy.The staff were all very friendly especially Alistair in the restaurant. we had a lovely walk after our evening meal around the grounds. Well worth staying.

Room Tip: Twin room was quite roomy
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2014

Thanks very much indeed for your kind words, I'll be sure to pass them across to the team.
I was glad to read you enjoyed your celebrations in Oscar's, the perfect time to be dining after our wonderful refurbishment.
I hope to see you all again soon at Abbey House Hotel & Gardens

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
#4 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
The Furness Railway Hotel
The Furness Railway Hotel
#1 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Hotel
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Ho...
#2 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
Gilpin Hotel & Lake House
#3 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Abbey House Hotel? Share your experiences!