“Wedding spoilt by no air con and ignorant staff”
Review of Abbey House Hotel

Abbey House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We stayed for one night in July to attend a wedding, I can't believe that a Hotel of this standard had no air conditioning, the Hotel itself is lovely but the heat was unbearable, luckily it did not spoil the wedding even thought the Bride had to complain to management about the heat, our shirts were sticking to us most of the time we spent indoors. The food was fabulous and highly recommended. There was not enough Bar staff to serve people and you had to queue for ages, we resorted to going into the restaurant bar and after ordering our drinks this very offensive ignorant woman who was the restaurant Manager asked us if we had booked a table, we said no we had come through for drinks and she shouted at us that we should not use this bar as it was off grounds to the weddings guests and return whence we had come. Luckily for her I was in a good mood otherwise I would have put something where the sun does not shine and it was not a tip, my wife was very embarrassed .As a paying guest at the Hotel I would have thought I could use any bar and it did not say anything else to the contrary. Won't be staying here again, no wonder Barrow is a graveyard.

Room Tip: take your own fan when its hot weather
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank 0wensyd
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

I'm sorry aspects of your stay were not to your liking during your recent visit to Abbey House Hotel & Gardens.
Oscar's Rosette restaurant is an extremely busy and popular eating venue within the Lake district, we offer all of our wedding guests private bar provisions and try to encourage invited guests to celebrate with the happy couple throughout the evening, I'm sorry this did not meet with your satisfaction.
Our fabulous grade 1 listed building has undergone a multi-million pound refurbishment of the highest standard but I'm afraid we're simply not allowed to install the air conditioning in curtain areas of the building.
Barrow is a fabulous place to visit, being the major employment contributor in the Lakes area. I hope to be able to welcome you back and demonstrate the sides you may not have seen.
Kind Regards
John Horton

Reviewed 4 August 2014

So, my partner and I stayed at the Abbey House Hotel last summer. It was truly amazing, so have decided to stay again this time. After reading the reviews left I am very excited to return. If anyone is looking for a comfortable stay in beautiful surroundings, this is the place for you. Make sure you have a wee look around the grounds and the Abbey itself.

Room Tip: Any room would be a delight. We have decided on a lodge this time.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Donna K

The lodge rooms are indeed a treat and you're right, all the rooms are great!
Thanks for returning to Abbey House Hotel & Gardens, I look forward to meeting with you again soon.

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We were looking for a weekend away and I thought I would treat my partner to the delights of Abbey House Hotel & gardens.

She was absolutely stunned by the place, the staff, the service by everyone and the summer suite. So much so she wants to come with me next time I am in barrow on business.

What the team has done with the refurb is nothing short of miraculous.

Thanks again for a fabulous weekend

Stayed: August 2014

Thanks very much for your kind words, the Summer Suite is indeed truly amazing.
I can imagine nothing better for your partner but to relax at Abbey House while you're at work!!
We look forward to your next visit to our exclusive corner of the Lakes.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

We have just stayed here for two nights, when we approached and saw the beautiful building we were about to check in to I was very excited, however after checking in I was extremely disappointed to find the previous occupants empty wine bottle, bucket and glasses outside our door; not a good first impression. After putting our bags in our room I nipped to reception to report it and it was quickly removed. After spending the afternoon on the patio in the grounds, we went up to our room to change for tea, sadly after now having time to check my room more thoroughly I discovered vomit splashes up the side of the bed base and more in the bed plastic foot. Not very pleasant, so naturally reported this to reception who again put right while we were out. I am an understanding person, therefore I can appreciate things can be missed, so I was not going to let this spoil my experience at the hotel. However as this wasn't my only issues with this hotel during my stay, I wanted to write a review. After any function has taken place it would be expected that the hotel and the outside seating areas should be returned tip top condition intime for guests coming down for breakfast, however the outside patio area the next day was full of cigarette stumps and broken glass, not to mention the un wiped sticky tables which were attracting countless wasps. In addition there were many areas on the tarmac that needed swilling were drinks had been spilt,none of this had been done therefore sitting outside was not the same enjoyable experience as the day before. I found it hard to believe how staff had not been sent out to turn this area back around, especially knowing that there was a 2nd wedding taking place that day. All areas in the hotel were ridiculously hot with no air conditioning, so naturally any guests would want to sit outside, therefore the clear up of this area should have been a priority! I'm just glad we were the first wedding taking place that weekend. I did bring all these things to the managers attention, who was dismissive and defensive in his customer service approach. All hotels regardless of star rating should take pride and prioritise housekeeping of all areas to ensure these are always kept to high standard, and if needed Rota in extra staff to cover large functions; so standards don't slip. If busy service stations can have half hourly toilet checks in place, I'm sure you understand my continued frustration at finding the reception toilets had not been cleaned either from the day before. The floors and mirrors remained un polished and bin still full, certainly not good! It is all these things that has left me frustrated, a lot of money has been paid to hold the wedding here as well as all the bookings from the wedding guests.Cosmetically it is a beautiful venue, but effective management is needed in the areas raised to make it a perfect experience and worthy of the 4 star rating achieved.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank louiselangton1980
abbeyhtl, Director of Sales at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2014

Dear Louise,

We at Abbey House Hotel and Gardens take great pride in the products and services that we offer to all of our guests. I was disappointed to find out we did not meet or indeed exceed your expectations during your recent stay with us, but thankful for you taking the time to post your review.

I will respond to your review in point form to ensure that I deal with everything highlighted:

1. During the cleaning of our bedrooms our Housekeeping staff do on occasion leave neatly in the corridors things such as bottles and glasses from the bedrooms as they are servicing them, they are only in the corridors for a very short period of time and by the time of check in the areas should be clear.

2. We pride ourselves with the high level of cleanliness we achieve. This certainly appears to have fallen short during your stay. On closer inspection our Housekeepers found specs of milk on the base of the bed which was immediately removed.

3. It is unacceptable that public areas are not of a high standard at all times, we have put into place additional measures to ensure this kind of thing does not occur again.

4. I have discussed your review with the Head Housekeeper and our public areas cleaner, I can only assume you had early breakfast and were in the toilets prior to her starting her shift, we have now amended her start time to reflect he needs of the business.

We always welcome constructive comments from guests about the Hotel as it gives us an opportunity to refocus on areas where we may be lacking.

I do hope your experience will not stop you staying with us in the future as we have excellent feedback from the Bride and Groom that we exceeded their expectations.

If you would like to discuss the issue further you can do so by emailing me directly on 01706 822476
Yours Sincerely
Brian Conroy
Operations Director

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Abbey House is my favourite hotel, it has a lovely warm welcome and the building just has so much soul and character, even with the new refurb and I didn't think it cold get better. The gardens are spectacular and with the beautiful weather its great to sit out with a drink in total peace and quiet. New rooms are gorgeous can't wait to come back next time we are visiting the Lakes

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

I'm so glad you enjoyed your recent stay at Abbey House Hotel & Gardens!
The gardens are a great source of relaxation, you must try one of our fabulous cocktails on your next visit!
We're looking forward to welcoming you back to your favourite hotel very soon.

Reviewed 19 July 2014

I am a regular business visitor to the hotel, the recent refurbishment is more than cosmetic with a significant improvement in customer service. The quality of food is good with sufficient choice to meet most tastes. Overall the staff are friendly but as everywhere, some are better than others. The rooms are of a reasonable size and the beds comfortable. The single criticism is the unreliable WiFi - probably easily sorted but it needs doing for it to fully meet the needs of it's business travellers. In some parts of the hotel you have a poor mobile signal, you can go outside, but this is Barrow-in-Furness in the Lake District and there's a reasonable chance of rain. Take a walk down to the old Abbey, definitely worth the short walk.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2014

Thanks very much for your recent review, I'm glad the refurbishment was to your liking. All the team try really hard to make our guests stay an enjoyable one in all areas of the hotel.
The Wi-Fi is well underway to a make over, with the hotels own private line being installed in the near future, this will see a significant improvement to the speed of service which you will hopefully notice on your next visit.
Please quote AJH10 on your next visit for a complimentary upgrade.
Kind Regards
John Horton

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 2 nights and didn't want to come home! We stayed in the winter suite which is gorgeous and has great views of the gardens. We ate in oscars which is lovely food and very reasonably priced. Te staff were great, really attentive and couldn't do enough. I cannot fault this hotel on anything, it was amazing.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank S41nty
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

Thanks very much indeed for your kind words.
The Winter Suite is indeed an amazing room with stunning views over the grounds and terrace.
Oscar's was recently awarded with its first rosette, something we're very proud of indeed.
Please quote AHHTA when next booking for our best available offers.
We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
The Chetwynde Hotel
The Chetwynde Hotel
#6 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Hotel
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Ho...
#3 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Abbey House Hotel? Share your experiences!