“A work in progress”

Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Sheffield
“A work in progress”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

We always stay here when we visit Barrow, however I do feel that the rooms have now seen better days.
The wallpaper was coming off in our room, there was black mould in the grouting in the bathroom. I personally don't like the new colours, in the restaurant and lobby, but I can see that alot of money has been invested.
The wifi worked fine for us. Check-in staff were lovely and very helpful with directions when we needed them.Breakfast was a bit of a let down. Much less choice that before, and they got my daughters order wrong, not particularly friendly either.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank luckystar36
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this review, 21 September 2014
Thanks very much for your recent review.
The refurbishment has gone very well but there are still a few rooms to get finished, no doubt you will be able to see the improvements on your next visit.
We constantly strive to offer the best possible products and choice for our food services and will hopefully deliver this in the best possible manner.
I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Leyland
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I visited this hotel with my boyfriend for the bank holiday weekend. We stayed just the one night and it was a lovely night. The woman on the reception was pleasant. The room we was given was not as expected but still nice, I think this was because we was in the annex and not the main building. Bed was extremely comfy though. There was also a few hairs in the sink but they was easily washed away. The hotel itself was set in gorgeous grounds and the interior of the hotel was stunning. We didnt eat at the hotel but we had drinks in the Oscars afterwards. Wine was great but pricey.
There was a wedding on during our stay but this did not disturb our stay and if anything improved the atmosphere of the hotel. Weddings look great here.

The whole experience was great for the £80 we paid. Staff on the evening and at breakfast where lovely and the food at breakfast was at a great standard. Overall I would be happy to stay here again but hopefully in the main building where the rooms have the bath tubs shown on the pictures. Also the rooms could be improved with a hair dryer. Also next time we stay i would love to eat at Oscars as the food looked amazing!

Room Tip: I recommend asking for a room in the Main Building for a refurbished room.
1 Thank natpxo
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thanks for your recent review and feedback. I'm sorry that aspects of your stay did not live up to your expectations, we will look into the issues you had encountered but I'm glad to read that your overall stay was an enjoyable one.
Oscar's, our rosette awarded restaurant, is usually busy requiring a booking before arrival for a specific time, however we will always get you a table if your able to eat a bit earlier or later!
I hope to meet you on your next visit and am sure you'll get to experience the newly refurbished accommodations.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

Due to having to travel as part of my job, I am always staying in different hotels, B&B's, rooms for rent etc, and I have to say that Abbey House is up there with the best of them. Upon arrival you are met with picturesque grounds which is a pleasant change, there is also ample parking which does not upset the landscape.

Check in is simple and with a smile, and all staff I spoke to on my stay have a great knowledge of the area and were friendly and even went the extra mile. I personally am a big outdoor lover and the grounds at abbey House is the start for a local route which was great.

The room was as you would expect from a good hotel, it was well presented, clean towels and had a very fresh feel to it. The bed was very comfortable and the black out curtains helped with a great night sleep!

I usually eat out or bring in fast food when I stay away, but I tried the food they had on offer due to a recommendation off the lady on reception and that too was great. Good size, fresh produce and well presented.

This hotel has the right level of friendly atmosphere and great level of service all round, you would not be disappointed in staying here at all, and some of the negative reviews are baffling to me. I have worked in the area as a contractor for around three years and have stayed in practically every hotel in Barrow, Abbey House is one of the only ones which still actually makes the effort with you and wants you to have a pleasant stay with them as everything is at your pace.

I have booked to stay tonight and tomorrow and will be my choice of accommodation for all future business trips in the area. Strongly Recommend!!

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
It's always a pleasure to receive such high praise, thanks very much indeed, I'll be sure to pass it onto all of the team at Abbey House Hotel & Gardens.
I look forward to your next visit and hope we continue to deliver the consistent friendly service you are enjoying so much!
Many thanks.
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I have spent many nights at the Abbey House Hotel on either business or pleasure. I have also been to events at the Abbey House and this hotel must be commended on their professionalism and service they deliver. The rooms are absolutely gorgeous, very clean and to a very high standard along with the vast grounds make it an ideal venue for functions but particularly for weddings..The atmosphere is quiet and relaxed and the staff cannot do enough for you as a guest and are all very polite and courteous. The quality of the food and service in Oscars is second to none and I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone. Totally first class in all areas and very reasonably priced for the services they provide.

Room Tip: Try the deluxe rooms. Amazing !!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Many thanks for your very kind review, all the team at Abbey House try their hardest to make every stay an enjoyable one.
Oscar's has been very well received since our multi-million pound refurbishment and it's great to receive this positive feedback, thank you!
I hope to see you at the hotel again very soon.
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I wanted a one night get away somewhere out of the way for myself the wife and the dog.
I'm basing this on the price I paid for one night bed and breakfast of £80. (£15 fee for dog)
If I'd of paid more I may of viewed it differently.

The Pro's first.
Very impressive on arrival to look at and freshly refurbished so very clean and tidy.
Good grounds and furnishings.
Rooms are clean tidy and comfortable.
Water pleasure very good for the shower.
Convenient location for the local country side.

Now the Cons.
The breakfast was only just warm enough to eat.
The room was in a new extension so although the main building is full of luxury and charm the new rooms are just like any other hotel/lodge in the country.
No real ales on the bar.
Lots of wedding functions meaning the possibility of noise, plenty of drunk people and kids running round.
I wasn't to fussed but WIfi seemed no existent in our room.

Over all for the money I paid it was good.

Room Tip: Ask if it's in the old or new part of the hotel, ask if it's next to a function room
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Thanks very much for your constructive feedback, I'm glad in the most part you had a pleasant stay.
Being the number one wedding venue in Cumbria 4 times running, we do hold events most weekends and apologise for any inconvenience this may have caused you. We do endeavour to locate leisure guests away from function areas wherever possible.
We strive to offer the best fresh produce possible for our buffet breakfasts, which prove very popular with our guests and offer the most efficient service on our busier mornings, all menu items are available cooked to order upon request and I'm sorry you felt let down by our breakfast on this occasion.
Unfortunately whilst Real Ale would be a great addition to our bars we are rarely requested this product and offer a great range of local bottle conditioned ales.
Our WiFi has just undergone a major refurbishment and now offers an unrivalled experience within the area.
We are a great base to explore the lakes and I hope you will consider us again on your next visit to the area.
Reviewed 21 August 2014

Be aware that this is a superb wedding venue and the interior has been refurbished to an excellent standard. They had two wedding on at the same time and it is always nice to see happy people.

But why do they take a booking from visiting guests and have no facility for them to eat in the restaurant. This was rectified on the second night by John the DM and he was really helpful and saved the weekend away that we had planned.

The room was faultless and the bathroom was superb but the hotel was let down by the little things. No internet was available as with so many visitors you could not get on. I managed to do it when the wedding parties had gone!! The newspaper never arrived.

I appreciate that you need to have young staff that are being trained but please teach them two words. PLEASE & THANK YOU. This was mainly the girls in the hotel as the Barman and the lad in the morning had it spot on. The Restaurant Manager spot on. The Maitre De almost there but needs more experience. The two girls at reception were Ok but the Blonde girl (No stereotyping) needs to improve.

So when you are paying good money and it was not cheap you do expect the staff to match the superb decor and ambiance and they just fall short. But I think the management know this.

So it is more like a work in progress and as this hotel has little or no competition in the area for either the quality of the venue and the restaurant so it will not fail.

Do give it a try but make sure you also book the restaurant before you go.

1 Thank David M
abbeyhtl, Manager at Abbey House Hotel, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
It was a pleasure to meet with you & your wife on your recent visit to Abbey House Hotel & Gardens, I'm glad we were able to recover your stay and turn it into an enjoyable one!
I do appreciate the constructive feedback, some good points given there which I'm glad to say were improving on everyday.
The refurbishment has seen a great hotel get even busier and it's vital that we continue to improve guest services to ensure your comfort at what is, as you rightly say, an unrivalled product in the area.
I look forward to meeting with you again in the near future.
Kind Regards
John Horton
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at the hotel following my brothers wedding, where the reception was also held. Prior to this, the last time I was at The Abbey House Hotel must be at least 10 years ago and my recollections were of dark, dated rooms; so I was a little worried about it as a wedding venue.

How things have changed.

The whole hotel has been given a complete overhaul with a boutique style feel throughout. Quirky seating corners and feature wall papers mix with huge mirrors and fire places. The areas used for the wedding were lovely; bright and airy with beautiful preserved traditional features sitting alongside contemporary art and design. The whole thing is pulled off beautifully.

I'd heard some not too favorable comments about the food, but I have to say I could not fault ours. There was loads of it and it again embraced the traditional with the quirky.

Our room, although small, had everything we needed. We were in the main part of the house so we could still hear the disco going when we went to bed, which we didn't mind, but you might want to consider this if you are staying at a weekend - just ask for a room in the other part of the hotel and you'll be fine. The ensuite bathroom was large and modern with a walk in shower. There was also a large flat screen TV on the wall in the bedroom and the bed was lovely and comfortable.

Breakfast the next morning was a treat with a good selection of hot options and continental available.

Throughout the wedding day the staff were excellent. John in particular was there until late in the evening making sure everything went without a hitch; nothing was too much trouble. Every member of staff we encountered had a smile and were happy to help.

Overall I cannot rate this hotel highly enough for co-ordinating my brothers big day so perfectly.

Room Tip: If not attending a wedding or a function ask for a room in the other side of the hotel to minimise n...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
It must have been a great experience Claire, coming back after 10 years for a fantastic celebration! I'm proud we were able to do your brothers big day justice!
Thanks very much for the wonderful feedback, all of the team work hard to ensure a fantastic experience for all of our guests.
I hope you will be able to visit us again in the near future.
Kind Regards
John
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
Castle Green Hotel in Kendal, BW Premier Collection
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
Beech Hill Hotel & Spa
#18 of 20 in Windermere

Been to Abbey House Hotel? Share your experiences!