“Great Food and atmosphere but cold and uncomfortable room”

The Chetwynde Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Reviewed 9 January 2014

I was really excited about staying there after reading positive reviews. The car parking was secure and ample, the receptionist was (very) pretty and chatty and the whole atmosphere was really nice.
The room was well equipped and clean with really generous drink facilities along with nice shortbread and kendal mint cake. There were far to many signs on the walls of the room to make it feel homely, and mysteriously, a list of film classifications although no sign of how to get the films??
Had dinner in the lounge which was on the pricey side but was excellent and was served by a lovely lady who couldn't do enough. The bar was reasonably well stocked although I was irritated by the fact that it was dearer to buy wine by the bottle than by the glass.
Sadly, when I retired to my room, I did find the bed to be hopelessly uncomfortable and slept badly due to being so cold. Having given up trying to sleep at 4.30am, I decided to have a soak in the bath in an attempt to relax and warm up. As the two ceiling lights were really bright and not dimmable, I decided to put the lights above the washbasin on - except the switch wash broken.
Never mind - I thought, I Would just light the four candles in the holders around the bathroom - except every candle was burnt out in it's holder.

To be honest, by now, I couldn't wait to get out of this hotel as was just so cold and uncomfortable. Was served breakfast by a bloke who was dressed like a scaffolder which included uncooked poached eggs and anemic toast and coffee from the smallest cups in the world. When I checked out, the scaffolder who had served me my breakfast appeared at reception, dressed as a hotel employee and checked me out in the same disinterested way he had served me breakfast.

To be honest I was really disappointed as this place was the same price as a premier inn but really not a patch on the worst premier inn I've stayed in.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Matt S
jubiebarlow, Manager at The Chetwynde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 January 2014

We always welcome feedback from guests. Ideally we hope a guest will provide us with this feedback on departure to allow us to explain, apologise or compensate the guest for any areas where we have not lived up to their expectations. We unfortunately did not receive this feedback from this guest on departure. Firstly, this guest was provided a free upgrade on check in. All of our rooms are heated until midnight - if we heat the rooms any later than midnight, guests find the rooms unbearably warm. First Floor Superior Rooms are always very warm and the duvet on the bed in this particular room is a winter duvet. There is also a spare additional duvet and woollen blanket in the guest's wardrobe. A terry robe is also complimentary in this room type. Additional heaters are also available on request. Our Night Porter was available all through the night if the guest needed assistance with locating the blanket and duvet in his wardrobe or requesting a heater. The mattress on this bed is brand new - it is very difficult to find a mattress to make all guests happy as some prefer firm and some prefer soft mattresses. However, we have not yet received another complaint form guests about this mattress - but will actively solicit further feedback. We apologise that the guest was misled by the empty tea light in his room - for fire safety purposes we do not encourage candles in the room. We will now take the tea light holders from the room in case they mislead any other guests. We do apologise that the bathroom mirror light was not working - it had been checked prior to check in. Again - if the guest had reported this to our staff, it would have been replaced ASAP. Regarding signage - we display a sign about the fire evacuation plan and a floor plan, as well as a non smoking sign and a fire alarm test sign. We do also have a small 'please mind the step sign' at the entrance to the bathroom. All of these are related to fire safety and are mandatory unfortunately. Regarding a 'scaffolder' serving breakfast - the guest must be referring to one of our Restaurant Supervisors, who perhaps prioritised serving the guest a very early breakfast rather than changing into his uniform first - he must have felt the guest's need for quick service was paramount. I cannot imagine however, he turned up to work dressed as a scaffolder! I can also assure any future guests - our coffee cups are not quite the 'smallest in the world'. Although not of Starbucks magnitude they are a standard sized hotel issue coffee cup. We could have provided the guest a range of size options in coffee cup had he requested it - we do have some coffee cups of the 'soup bowl sized' variety. Also, unlimited, fresh, cafetiere coffee is free to all of our guests staying in Superior Rooms, even if upgraded, like this guest. It has, however, made the receptionist's day being called (very) pretty.

Reviewed 1 January 2014

Really welcoming & friendly team despite our arrival during the busy Christmas lunchtime. Annex rooms were superb - contemporary decor, comfortable beds and lots of lovely touches. The Christmas lunch was superb and started with a relaxed complimentary prossecco in the lounge area. Service was great, staff were attentive and unflustered. The food was delicious - probably the best Christmas lunch we've ever had and extremely good value. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 December 2013

We went to visit relatives in Barrow and stayed in the Chetwynde hotel in December 2013. The welcome in reception was extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel is well maintained and decorated with quality fixtures and fittings The bedroom in the annexe had plenty of space and had a qood quality King-sized bed and associated furnishings..The food at breakfast was excellent -really wholesome quality ,locally -sourced produce The waitresses were very helpful and friendly and service was efficient. All in all it was a very enjoyable short stay and also good value for money. We will definitely be staying there again.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 December 2013

My Husband and I had our wedding evening reception at the Chetwynde Hotel last weekend and we were blown away by the service we received. The staff were wonderful, Pauline helped us arrange everything and Alison looked after us on the night. Alison went above and beyond to make sure we had an amazing night and we certainly did. The Christmas decor was lovely, the pie and peas great value and the bar staff friendly. We stayed in the newly refurbished suite and it exceeded our exceptions - very nice room. My in-laws stayed in a room in the annex and I had a little peek in and that was a very lovely room also, I know they were very pleased with it. Breakfast in the morning was very tasty.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 December 2013

At half term I travelled to Barrow by train to visit my sister and family. I love the journey as it crosses the sea with Arnside to one side and Grange over Sands in the distance.Morcambe Bay shimmering with its its untouchable sands but home to so many varieties of bird, a good place to see migrating species at different times of the year. The RSPB is tucked into the crease of the coastline and well worth a visit. Barrow in Furness is a town of many parts, once well known for shipbuilding,now submarines developed by B.A.C..There is a sense of new opportunity as investment is encouraged to redevelop the many spaces left by a bygone age. Good places to stay are limited so booking ahead is advisable as it's either visiting business people or weddings that are popular in the few bigger hotels.
Having always stayed at The Abbey and been quite comfortable, I decided to have a change and booked into The Chetwyns Hotel. What a welcoming family run hotel! My room in the main house was spacious and well furnished. A French poster bed with definitely enough room to hold court and a combination mattress,interior sprung and memory foam to afford the sleep of Kings. The bathroom was bright and clean and full size, plenty of room to spend time.
The staff were friendly and helpful,the owners have really developed a team spirit and bring a warmth into the professional manner of all who work at Chetwynns, made me feel quite at home!
I booked dinner on my first night with my sister ,we both enjoyed tasty and well cooked dishes from a good variety offered on the menu.Breakfast was equally good, a peaceful dining room and not long to wait for a choice of hot individually prepared selections. A buffet bar also offered usual cereals and some fruit,juices etc,. I had hired a car locally and parking was no problem in the large secure grounds behind the annexe of modern rooms attached to the main house. As a woman on her own I felt well looked after,secure and comfortable at all times, slept soundly and had a very good three nights in this delightful, well run hotel. I look forward to my next visit.

Room Tip: Main house traditional bedroom, large rooms,high ceilings, opening windows.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Veronica J
Reviewed 29 November 2013

I was put in room in the annex. The room was nice quiet and very comfortable. I was very impressed that they had put choclate kennel mint cake in my room nice touch I love kennel mint cake. The room was clean and the staff friendly. My only complaint is the walk into Barrow town centre.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank alfiered
jubiebarlow, Manager at The Chetwynde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2013

Thank you for the review. Just to clarify to any potential guests regarding our proximity to Barrow Town Centre - we are in the leafy suburbs of Barrow and our proximity is shown on our website. As explained on our website - we are situated on the 'outskirts' of Barrow, and we use a Google Earth map to show our proximity. We also explain the bus routes that take guests from outside the hotel direct into the town (which take 6 minutes). To walk on foot should take 20 - 25 minutes. We will now make this more specific on our website. So glad the guest enjoyed his Kendal Mint Cake!

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Been to this hotel for a few months. Nice bar. They can hold their own for functions. Free parking. Staff are friendly. Comforting place. Rooms are good for money. Superior rooms in the new building are best in barrow and for a few quid more well worth the upgrade. Book a week or two in advance if you're staying for a few nights as they can get full. Ie you can't stay whole week if they've got Wednesday full booked. Enjoy and say hi to Alison at bar/restaurant.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
Abbey House Hotel
Abbey House Hotel
#3 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Hotel
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Ho...
#2 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
The Clarke's Hotel
The Clarke's Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rampside
21 mi away
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant

Been to The Chetwynde Hotel? Share your experiences!