“My stay at the Chetwynde”

The Chetwynde Hotel
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Runcorn, United Kingdom
“My stay at the Chetwynde”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

We aranged an early check in, without problem, the reception staff were cheerful and helpful. Breakfast was included in the price ,it was good and substantial,had a good nights sleep.Hotel was clean and quiet, I would definitely stay again .

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very historic and nice to look at but that's it. There was no one around all evening but all the rooms are full.
I booked this room needing wifi only to find it's broken so they say, after I asked if my room will get the wifi I'm told it's rubbish all over the hotel. There's no atmosphere here it like a night at the museum!!??
My top floor room is very draughty and there's a lot if wind noise, someone gas kindly left me an electric plug in heater.
This is one of those places I'm glad I'm on my own working and not here for a weekend break- which would be very disappointing !!

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
4 Thank Dazzler707
jubiebarlow, General Manager at The Chetwynde Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Goodness this was harsh! The guest is correct - we are a Victorian hotel built in 1860, and our restaurant, function room, lounges, and wonderful staircase are in grandiose Victorian style, with sympathetic décor to match and more than one antique dotted about. If it was a quiet evening we can only apologise - but I can reassure future guests we certainly weren't empty and certainly had staff available ( I can't imagine they were hiding in our Victorian cellar or the suit of armour in reception). I can only apologise for the lack of Wi-Fi - we weren't lying, honest, when we said it wasn't available - we were without our broadband completely and this was through no fault of our own. We were just as frustrated as the guest. As visitors to our website, and indeed our regular guests will testify - we have a range of room types available - some are smaller at the top of the main building (but often favourites for our regular guests), others are large and Victorian style but with modern bathrooms, and others (like that shown on the images on this site) are modern, Superior Rooms, with double walk in showers, wall mounted televisions, Roberts Digital Radios and I-Pod docking stations and so on. If only the guest had mentioned his concerns during his stay or on departure, we would have been given the opportunity to address his concerns.
Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for one night as a family of 4. Check in was swift and friendly. Our room was spotlessly clean and spacious. We ate in the restaurant which was excellent all round. Breakfast was of a very high standard, with plenty of choice.
We will definitely return to this lovely hotel. Thanks

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Firstly this is solely my experience and 100% genuine.
I have just returned from this lovely hotel and recommend it in this area with no reservations.
My room was in the annexe area and was perfect, extremely comfortable, contemporary style with a luxurious bathroom and immaculately clean every day. Well done.
I travel a lot and when I discover a good well managed hotel I am very pleased.
If you are staying in this area you will not be disappointed with this hotel. The breakfast was also very good and I didn't eat there only because I like to eat out and have a look around the area.
I hope this helps.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank MrT98
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2014

We stopped over for one night only, on our way home from a weeks holiday in the Scottish Highlands, to attend a 25th wedding anniversary party at the nearby Barrow Cricket Club.
We stayed in the new annex, which was an excellent upgrade and fitted out to a very high standard, super bathroom and quietlly located even though there was a wedding party in the main part of nthe hotel. Complimentary Tea/Coffee/Chocolate and biscuits were appreciated after a very long drive.
The staff we met at reception and at breakfast the following morning we friendly, polite and efficient.
If we stay in Barrow again (which is likely) then this hotel will be our first choice !

Room Tip: The new(ish) annex is separate from the main body of the hotel. The rooms there are quiet and very s...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jim M
Dorchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2014

After much searching for hotels in Barrow, near to Furness Abbey, we came across The Chetwynde and it has been perfect. It was easy to find and there is a large parking area. The hotel has a certain old world charm with a nice dining room and a comfortable bar area and lounge. We had a room in the new part of the hotel, which has been so well thought out and has everything you need including shower gel, shampoo and a lovely large shower. There are umbrellas at the front door in case it rains as the new rooms are slightly away from the hotel entrance. We had a really good full english breakfast each morning served by a very pleasant and friendly member of staff. We also had an evening meal which was really well cooked and there is plenty of choice. All in all a friendly hotel and we would stay again.

Room Tip: The rooms in the new build are bright and spacious and quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lesleyannbarlow4845
Ulverston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had a celebratory meal in the restaurant and everything was excellent. The food was well cooked and presented and the service was unhurried but efficient and attentive.
The owners and staff made us very welcome and all in all we had a thoroughly enjoyable evening. We didn't stay over this time but in future would probably do so and linger longer in the very pleasant bar.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jane L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
The Furness Railway Hotel
Abbey House Hotel
Abbey House Hotel
#3 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Hotel
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Ho...
#2 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Fairway Hotel
Fairway Hotel
#7 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Clarke's Hotel & Brasserie

Been to The Chetwynde Hotel? Share your experiences!