All reviews superior room comfortable sofas family room lovely hotel returned later would highly recommend this hotel large shower complimentary water dvd player birthday meal would stay again visiting the area on arrival wedding party three nights bank holiday weekend walk in shower
Reviewed 14 October 2018

Stayed at the Chetwynde for 2 nights with my huband, daughter and 3 grandchildren to attend a wedding locally. From check in to check out every was great, all the staff were very friendly and helpful. We had a lovely double room and a family room which was a really generous size. Plenty of complimentary tea and coffee facilities and lovely shortbread busciuts and toiletries in the bathrooms.
Cracking breakfast.
Would definately recommend the Chetwynde and would stay again if we were in the area.

• Trip type: Travelled with family
JG1163, General Manager at The Chetwynde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2018

Thank you so much! The staff will really appreciate your lovely comments. Thank you as well for your feedback about the the 'added extras' - it is good to know we are providing enough of everything. We hope to see you again at the hotel!

Reviewed 11 October 2018 via mobile

Stayed here after business trip.
Very pleasant staff on checking in and throughout.
Good selection of food for evening meal and very enjoyable.
Breakfast starts at 6.15 which is great if you are a business traveler.
The room was very comfortable and shower excellent.
Would throughly recommend.

Trip type: Travelled on business
JG1163, General Manager at The Chetwynde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2018

Thank you for your review - it is great to receive your feedback from a business perspective. We hope you stay again!

Reviewed 9 October 2018 via mobile

I booked the Chetwynde for 2 nights as I was going into Furness Hospital to have a hysterectomy for my husband and daughter to stay while I was in hospital. I live 2 hours away from the hospital so most times I have to book into a hotel for appointments etc. My consultant rang me at 17.45 the evening before to say operation was cancelled. I was half way to Barrow so decided to stay for 1 night and the lady in reception said She would explain to the general manager what had happened. We had a meal and drinks in the hotel costing £93.50. On checkout I asked if they had spoken to the manager and was fully expecting to be told no problem we will refund the second night. I was just told that she said no as it was their policy. I understand about policies, but this situation was completely out of my control. This happened to me once before and The Dunes hotel did not charge me when my procedure was cancelled the night before. So now I have to wait another 7 weeks for operation to be rescheduled and it cost me £250 for a hotel I didn't need and £93.50 for food and drinks. Needless to say I won't be staying at the Chetwynde again !!!!!!! One hacked off customer...

Trip type: Travelled with family
JG1163, General Manager at The Chetwynde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2018

These are unfortunate circumstances. Often guest sickness the reason guests have to cancel their stay, As a small family hotel, not part of a chain we have to set cancellation deadlines - this is to ensure we are given time to re-sell the room, which we are unable to do at short notice. We do make this clear at point of booking and guests sign up at registration to honour this and meet our terms and conditions of booking. I am very sorry about this lady's circumstances but we are not in a position as a small hotel to be able to waive cancellation charges outside of our cancellation period. We don't offer a flexible policy. This enables us to keep our room rates competitive, offer free wi-fi and parking and an economical breakfast included rate. We do encourage anyone wanting to book with us to carefully read out terms and conditions of booking when or before they book with us.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

I stayed in what seems to be a new annex adjacent to the main and older building. Very comfortable rooms, good breakfast and easy walking to the Abbey or the nearest pub the Strawberry. Staff very friendly and helpful and when I travel back to Barrow again I would be very happy to stay at the Chetwynde

Date of stay: September 2018
Reviewed 30 September 2018

Was disappointed in our superior room, stained cushion covers, 2 out of the 3 bulbs in the main light fitting not working, clock radio not even plugged in and the bedside lamps were dusty. The bathroom was lovely, nice big walk in shower, big fluffy bath sheets, but beware of the towel rail, way too hot to touch. Breakfast was good though.

Date of stay: September 2018
JG1163, General Manager at The Chetwynde Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2018

Our standards here at The Chetwynde Hotel are exceptionally high - we do rely on guests reporting minor issues in rooms such as bulb replacements, even though our housekeeping team check such things daily. We appreciated this guest informing us on departure she had had a 'good stay' and reporting the bulb needing replacing on departure.

If this had been reported at any point in her stay, day or night - we would have replaced this for her immediately. We pride ourselves on having capable staff available 24-7. Housekeeping do dust daily after each departure (everything in the room) - but we would have been more than happy to have gone back to this guest's room during her stay to re-dust the lamp had we been made aware at any point. We are not aware at all of any stained cushion covers - but again, if the guest had made us aware prior to this review it is something we could have dealt with.

We really appreciate the opportunity to fix any guest concern or respond to any query throughout a guests' stay. At no point did this guest make us aware she was 'disappointed' and give us an opportunity to respond or help prior to notifying us about the bulb on departure, which is a real shame.