“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed here for one night several weeks ago and was a bit hesitant looking at the outside and the area. Upon entering the building I was pleasantly surprised as the reception and bar area are of a high standard and expected the same quality of finish in the room. However, I was somewhat disappointed. Once I had checked in, I was shown to my room on the second floor (203) The corridors were dusty, there were bare light fittings and the window at the top of the stairs was cracked and held together with Duct tape ! First impressions of the room were quite pleasing, lovely clean bedding and towels and the room itself was quite bright. Unfortunately on closer inspection, I noticed there were quite a few problems with the room: the window handles were broken (one had only one screw and the other had been bent so far back, it looked as though it was standing to attention!) this was irrelevant however as the whole window opening had dropped from the frame making it impossible to close - fortunately it wasn't windy that night! The glass shelf in the bathroom was extremely loose and couldn't take the weight of anything without throwing it into the sink below. The bathroom radiator was extremely hot and so close to the sink, I burnt my elbow while brushing my teeth. The toilet handle did a 360 degree turn before attempting a feeble flush and there was a cracked floor tile resembling a jigsaw piece I had to try and remember not to step on every time I used the bathroom. Not expecting anything fantastic after the room, I decided to try the food.. I had the Steak and Ale pie - absolutely delicious and a good serving, as was the breakfast next morning! The staff and locals were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. A shame the room let the experience down otherwise this could be a good hotel.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Llandudno, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

It is often difficult to get a hotel in Barrow mid-week. Stayed at this one because other choices were full and this one was getting good reviews. Have to say my experience was poor.
My room was small (as expected for a single) but the L shape meant it was not a pleasant place to be. It smelt very strongly of damp. Furniture was adequate, although the bed was quite comfortable. Parking on a street out of sight of the hotel is less than ideal.
I have increased my mark simply because the staff members I encountered were all very friendly and my evening meal was good. But overall my experience was poor.

1 Thank A B

Travellers are raving about these Barrow-in-Furness hotels

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here for 2 night in Jan 2014, the food alone is worth staying for! The menu is quite large which always make me worry about freshness but there is nothing to worry about.

I had the chicken livers to start which is a massive portion and I was glad it was, amazing. The kebab skewer for main which was also excellent. The breakfast is also just as nice and the other people who stayed were also raving about the food, I want to go back to try the whole menu!

My room was excellent and looked recently updated and facilties were nice with a nice pint to finish it off. The others I stayed werent happy with their rooms, but not enough to complain so they couldnt have been that bad. Plenty to do with Sky Sports on a big screen, pool, darts and quiz machine.

Only downside is there is no secure parking so you have to park on the street but myself and others have been staying there for a while now with no reports of any car trouble.

Durham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2014

I cannot rate the staff in this hotel highly enough. From arriving at the hotel to leaving it every member of staff on duty were so friendly and helpful. The rooms are a good size, immaculate and with lovely bed linen and also very comfortable. Please don't be put off by the area and give this hotel a chance. The breakfast was amazing and the meals were so good we went back with friends for Sunday lunch which we couldn't fault. Thank you for a lovely stay and when we next come to barrow we will look no further.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
burton on trent
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013

This hotel is not pretty but does the jobs. The room was clean and quiet. The building could do with a bit of tlc, there was a cracked window on the landing. The breakfast was average, I only had the ceral and toast as I had had a big meal the night before at the Chequers in Dalton.The chequers was excellant see review. The breakfast was included, to my surprise, as the booking said "room only". I will come back if as a last resort. I prefer the Chetwynes or the Abbey House.

Room Tip: Check other hotel first but this one will do.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

Looks are deceiving! From the outside The Royal Hotel just looked like a large pub! But our room was very clean and a lovely large bed with crisp clean linen and towels. The room (202) was on the top floor so a bit awkward if lots of stairs are a problem for you. Small room and compact on- suite shower room but clean and warm. Badly designed shower room, as the (very hot) towel rail is too close to wash basin and my husband burnt his arm while shaving! Also glass ledge above basin is an accident waiting to happen. Shower not a power shower in fact quite feeble. No wardrobe only drawers so had to hang coats,dress and suit over the back of an armchair! Very large windows with curtains but would benefit with blinds for more privacy. We were not informed that there was a free complimentary drink at the bar on your first night! Found out too late! We only stayed 1 night and did not eat breakfast or dinner there so cannot comment on food. Checking in was fine nice young lady (even tho she didn't tell us about the free drink!) but checking out was a pain as we had to wait a while and then look for someone to do it. A bit off putting when the chef in his "whites" came to help us. Great fish and chips from the Chinese takeaway right opposite the hotel!! Not sure if we would stay again only maybe if nothing else was available.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CumbriaMazzam
GlaSGOW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

I have been stopping at the Royal Hotel for around 6 weeks now, i work on the windfarms and i am staying in here until March next year.

I am leaving a review partway threw my stay because i have just read the review below and am in disbelief that there is any truth in this at all, i have had nothing but a good experience whilst i have been here at the Royal this is my home from home. I eat in the restaurant almost every night and have never experienced a bad meal the food is excellent. The rooms are in excellent condition and they are very comfortable and really clean

I would recommend anybody to stop here the staff are great the food is really good and the rooms are cleaned to a very high standard, i just feel sorry for the staff here after they work so hard to make everybody feel comfortable and welcome to have to read a review like this

I see the below review as dig by another hotel who maybe be suffering from the success of the Royal hotel, i would suggest the person who left the review or trip advisor remove the review as this i totally wrong

Good look guys at the Royal and thanks for making me and the other lads feel so welcome (the royal family lol)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
The Furness Railway Hotel
Ambrose Hotel
Ambrose Hotel
#11 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Hotel
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Ho...
#2 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Abbey House Hotel
Abbey House Hotel
#3 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,052 reviews

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!