“Very deceiving” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Very deceiving”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

Our stay was 2nd May- 5th May..

Eventually found the hotel, after asking for a few directions.
Not sure who was more shocked when we arrived at the hotel, me or my husband.... Thought we had landed in a lost planet. The hotel is smack bang in the middle of a housing scheme.... which is very run down. Spoke to a few of the locals, who all seemed pleasant enough, but just not my kind of area.

When we proceeded to check in, there was no staff on the reception, then we discovered the bar staff were also reception staff aswell. we had to wait a short while till we were attended to, but the young lad Jamie apologised for our wait. We had been booked into a single room, although we had booked a double or twin..... problem solved, and we were shown to our room(double) !!!! Few issues in the room,(102) ie no wardrobe to hang anything up, no ,mirror in the room, apart from the bathroom mirror, not a lot of space to move around. Once we trained ourselve's with military precission on manouvering about we were fine haha....... Bed very comfortable & clean. Only 1 coffee cup, had to ask for the tea/coffee to be replenished....

We were advised that once we had got settled, to come down to the bar for a complimentary drink...... very nice gesture, never had that before !!!
We enquired where we would get something to eat, and we got directed to the town, which is about a 15 minute walk.... You can get food from the chip shop, or the chinese takeaway across from the hotel, but we decided to head into town for dinner. Found a lovely resturant (Jefferson's) accross from the town hall, the food was so yummy we went there every night of our stay (3 nights) Breakfast in the hotel was nice, you can either have the full English, or you can choose any item from that if you wish. Not a big choice of continental...... but what we had was lovely....

Did not see any cleaning staff during our stay, the bar staff seem to run the hotel on their own, most times there was only 1 member of bar staff on duty....

When the bar closes, the bar staff tidy up then go home, so no night porter on duty, not sure thats a good idea !!!!

We did venture out during the day, Kendal 1 day, then Windermere & Boness another day. We also went over to the Navy Club, to listen to the band that was on 1 of the nights, then it's just a short walk over the road back to the hotel....

1 of the day's there was no hot water or heating, but it was fixed the next day...

The bar prices are very reasonable, which is good for a hotel...

It seems to be a very popular place for the locals, as its the only place near-by for them to go to, a lot of the parent's just let the kids run about and do what they want, wee bit like a playground sometimes, not my ideal mode of relaxing, very noisy with them all running about !!! There are no rules on when the kids leave at night, which is a bit off putting if you just want to relax with a drink at night...

They are still in the middle of refurbishing the hotel......

Breakfast Sat/Sun 8-10am..... Mon-Fri 7-9am..

Don't think we will be back here.... infact we won't !!!!!
Prefer the scenic area's nearer the lakes and attraction's.

I hope this review point's out the good and not so good....
Might suit some people, but not for us !!!

Room Tip: Dont stay here if you can help it, unless you have no choice !!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Alison M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014 via mobile

The only good thing to say about this hotel were how lovely the staff are. Unfortunately that does not compensate for the dirty rooms the awful location the windows closed using duct tape and the list goes on... Breakfast was awful and the coffee facilities in the room were dirty. My room wasn't cleaned all week and didn't look clean when I checked in. There is a premier inn and a travel lodge in barrow try those instead.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Barrow-in-Furness hotels

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

I'd read the reviews here and saw were a little mixed. However a colleague had stayed here for several weeks and recommended.

The parking while on the street, was fine and plenty of free spaces.

The manager and receptionist were very welcoming and showed me around the hotel on arrival plus offered me a free drink on arrival, which was a nice welcoming touch.

Happy with my double room and when I rebooked they were fine letting me choose the same room.

Choice of evening meals was excellent, with specials each night.

The chef and waitress were very good and helpful.

When away on business good to find a welcoming hotel like this - with a family feel to it.

Already rebooked for 2 weeks in May.

Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Liverpool, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014 via mobile

I recently stopped at the royal hotel while I was away on business. This was the worst decision I have ever made. This hotel is very poorly run and seems to be a hobby for someone, not a business. Upon arriving there was no car park even though it stated that there was. The building looks shabby and run down. On entering the reception area I was greeted by a man who didn't seem to have any idea what he was doing. Staff training needed. The reception looked very unorganised with paper everywhere and rubbish on the floor which I could see behind the desk. Not very professional. I was then shown up to my room. The stairs needed hoovering and the windowsills were covered in dust. My room, 111 was down a poorly lit corridor. So poorly lit I couldn't see the key hole for my door. I was also greeted with a horrendous smell of damp and sewerage. So bad it made me feel physically sick. Once inside my room things got worse. There was coffee making facilities. There wasnt any tea bags, milk or cups. Inside one of the draws I found an empty sandwich wrapper. The bathroom was very small with dirty glasses on a toothpaste covered shelf. There was no toilet roll holder and a tiny amount of toilet roll, no spare (had to ask at the bar for some more). The toilet itself was not clean. I won't go into details but I'm sure you can imagine! The bed linen was clean but very creased.
I can't comment on what the food was like as I didn't eat here. I ate elsewhere whilst trying to find another hotel to stop in. Unfortunately for me it appears barrow is a very busy place mid week. I did however have a drink in the bar. The young man serving was friendly and professional. Breakfast the next day was very busy. So busy in fact there were no tables spare for me to sit at. The waitress was very pleasant, friendly and apologised and quickly set a table for me in the bar. I feel a hotel of this size should have a bigger dining area to accommodate all of the guests. 24 rooms and only 8 tables for breakfast. Breakfast was very nice with a lot of options. This was the only pleasant part of my stay. From now on when I visit barrow I will be sure to book into the premier inn and avoid the royal hotel!!

• Stayed February 2014
Leeds, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2014

I stayed here for one night several weeks ago and was a bit hesitant looking at the outside and the area. Upon entering the building I was pleasantly surprised as the reception and bar area are of a high standard and expected the same quality of finish in the room. However, I was somewhat disappointed. Once I had checked in, I was shown to my room on the second floor (203) The corridors were dusty, there were bare light fittings and the window at the top of the stairs was cracked and held together with Duct tape ! First impressions of the room were quite pleasing, lovely clean bedding and towels and the room itself was quite bright. Unfortunately on closer inspection, I noticed there were quite a few problems with the room: the window handles were broken (one had only one screw and the other had been bent so far back, it looked as though it was standing to attention!) this was irrelevant however as the whole window opening had dropped from the frame making it impossible to close - fortunately it wasn't windy that night! The glass shelf in the bathroom was extremely loose and couldn't take the weight of anything without throwing it into the sink below. The bathroom radiator was extremely hot and so close to the sink, I burnt my elbow while brushing my teeth. The toilet handle did a 360 degree turn before attempting a feeble flush and there was a cracked floor tile resembling a jigsaw piece I had to try and remember not to step on every time I used the bathroom. Not expecting anything fantastic after the room, I decided to try the food.. I had the Steak and Ale pie - absolutely delicious and a good serving, as was the breakfast next morning! The staff and locals were friendly and nothing was too much trouble. A shame the room let the experience down otherwise this could be a good hotel.

Llandudno, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2014

It is often difficult to get a hotel in Barrow mid-week. Stayed at this one because other choices were full and this one was getting good reviews. Have to say my experience was poor.
My room was small (as expected for a single) but the L shape meant it was not a pleasant place to be. It smelt very strongly of damp. Furniture was adequate, although the bed was quite comfortable. Parking on a street out of sight of the hotel is less than ideal.
I have increased my mark simply because the staff members I encountered were all very friendly and my evening meal was good. But overall my experience was poor.

1 Thank A B
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

Stayed here for 2 night in Jan 2014, the food alone is worth staying for! The menu is quite large which always make me worry about freshness but there is nothing to worry about.

I had the chicken livers to start which is a massive portion and I was glad it was, amazing. The kebab skewer for main which was also excellent. The breakfast is also just as nice and the other people who stayed were also raving about the food, I want to go back to try the whole menu!

My room was excellent and looked recently updated and facilties were nice with a nice pint to finish it off. The others I stayed werent happy with their rooms, but not enough to complain so they couldnt have been that bad. Plenty to do with Sky Sports on a big screen, pool, darts and quiz machine.

Only downside is there is no secure parking so you have to park on the street but myself and others have been staying there for a while now with no reports of any car trouble.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
The Furness Railway Hotel
Ambrose Hotel
Ambrose Hotel
#11 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Hotel
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Ho...
#2 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Abbey House Hotel
Abbey House Hotel
#3 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,052 reviews

Been to The Royal Hotel? Share your experiences!