“one of the worse I have stayed in.”
Review of The Royal Hotel

The Royal Hotel
Ranked #12 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Lets just start by saying I rarely give a negative review on a hotel, I would sooner not leave a review than a bad one. But where to start with this ? the location is poor but that's not the hotels fault. There is no on site parking, instead there is some street parking around the corner of the hotel, unsecured and out of site of the hotel. I had all the dust caps stolen, and damage to the filler cap as attempts had been made to access the fuel, again I can't hold the hotel responsible for that. What I can hold the hotel accountable for is a room where the toilet was full of the previous occupants breakfast, and had not been flushed. When I attempted to flush the water rose to near the top of the pan, absolutely disgusting, this room was not serviced at all. The wifi throughout the hotel was next to useless and nearly impossible to connect to for anything other than the briefest second. The food was not fresh with the gammon steak having that bitter smell of being off, and dark areas marking the smell. The accommodation is in need of a full refurb, and as value for money I wouldn't stay here again for free.

Room Tip: look elsewhere.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Roy L
There are newer reviews for The Royal Hotel

Reviewed 6 August 2014

I booked into this Hotel on the 5th August but reluctantly after reading some of the reviews. I have spoken to the manger and he has just taken over the property, the room I stayed in although on the 3rd floor my stay was excellent. Breakfast was very nice lots of variety, bedrooms could do with a re decoration but very clean and comfortable. I would stay here again and recommend to my friends.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed here for 4 nights while working in Barrow. The hotel is in the middle of a housing estate. The girl at reception was friendly. The room though was a let down. The weather was very warm. I went to open the window where is discovered there was no handles for the window. It was swinging back and forwards with the breeze. I ended up putting a loop of cable onto the window in order to keep it from swinging through the night. There was also loud music playng in the beer garden till after 10 at night. The shower door didn't shut right and water ended up over the tiny toilet floor. The shaver socket on the wall next to the shower was loose at the top. It was quiet most nights though which surprised me due to the area. The bed was comfortable though and the food was good. Alright if your not fussy and looking for so,we here cheap but not for me.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a family room but on arrival the boiler was hanging off the wall there was a mouldy glass under boiler full of water were it had been leakin the glass had been overflowing and had dripped down to sockets that were hanging out the wall there was broken tiles in bathroom floor wich my daughter tripped over as the broken part was left around on floor there was nails and wires sticking out of walls mucky pots under sink and cupboard doors hanging off I would recommend it to know 1 I wouldn't even let a dog sleep there after 15 min we refused to stay they tried to say we had to pay for one night stay but we refused and told them we took pictures the state of the place were they soon said we didn't have to pay and would just cancel the room it was a awful place and I deffo wont be going back

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Stacey W
Reviewed 23 July 2014 via mobile

I had booked 3 nights for me and my gf is was her birthday only stayed the 1 night rough area double room was small no wardrobe tiles in bathroom broke no toilet paper to much noise couldn't sleep felt like I was in an episode of shameless glad to leave my gf didn't feel safe

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank stocko74
Reviewed 20 July 2014

spent about 15 mins in reception ringing the bell waiting for someone to come, in the end my husband went into bar to get a member of staff, they showed us into a room and were leaving us there until i commented " do i have to make my own bed then" someone had obviously just left the room, we were then shown to another it was dirty and smelled it hadnt been hoovered the toilet and shower were dirty. We were told there was no food as there was no chef so we went out to eat, passing a premier inn my husband stopped and went in to ask if they had any rooms unfortunatly they were full. When we went for breakfast (the afternoon before theyd had a kids party in) the uneaten food from the party was still out, we waited 20 mins before anyone came to take the order waited another 40 for the breakfast then it wasnt what we'd ordered we sent it back they fetched it out again still not right, i said it still wasnt right he dissapeared and came back with 2 hash browns for me still not what id ordered, there were no appologies, he looked very unprofessional in jeans t-shirt trainers and baseball cap, by this time we couldn wait to get out of there so just got up and left without eating. This is the first time ive left a comment on here but it was so disgusting i didnt want anyone else to waste there money ive never stayed anywhere as bad as this hotel thank god it was only one night.

Room Tip: Dont go !!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank joanne l
Reviewed 19 July 2014

Reception area untidy, bar area looked ok, upstairs bit grotty really, looked half finished, work in progress. Room was small, double bed against the wall, bathroom not cleaned properly, rubbish on floor from previous guests, carpet needed hoovering throughout. receptionist/bar man was friendly enough. On our way out went down another route which was clearly the staff route and it was appalling.

Room Tip: If your not bothered and just want a bed fill your boots! If you have any standards at all then this...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple