“Pleasantly surprised”

Travelodge Barrow in Furness
Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
“Pleasantly surprised”
Reviewed 28 October 2013

I usually choose premier inns over travelodge because travelodges have been in much need of refurbishing in recent years. I stayed here for a family event in the town and was pleasantly surprised with the refreshed look and improved quality of the bedrooms, from the last time I stayed in a travelodge. The beds are very good quality, deep mattresses with new bed linen and decent pillows. The rooms have been brightened up and painted and a few other nice decor touches. I only have a couple of niggles - I think they should invest in some new towels because they were still using the same old thin, rough ones. I'm surprised these haven't been updated given the investment in the rest of the bedrooms. The flat screen TVs were good, but you could only flick through the channels to find out what was on. The guide, menu and info functions seemed to all have been disabled, which was not very helpful. It also seemed strange not to have the full range of freeview channels - there were only about 10. However, given I was not staying in Barrow to watch TV, this wasn't much of an issue.

Overall a good stay and it would make me consider Travelodge over Premier Inn in the future, if I knew the hotel had been refurbished.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Reviewed 21 October 2013

On the off chance and because we could take the dog, we booked a Travelodge in Barrow, now this would not normally be my choice of hotel as we prefer somewhere where we can have breakfast and a drink at night, but l am now converted to the budget hotel.
The staff were very friendly, it was central to what we wanted to see, spotlessly clean and the room had everything we needed. Yes there was no fridge, but our milk stayed cold on the windowsill, no mini bar and no cheap toiletries but the bed was very comfortable, towels good and large, it was quiet, the room was plenty big enough to house our dog, dog bed bowls etc. and all for £30 a night.
As some B&B s now charge a rather pricey £80 to £100 per night and won't always accommodate the dog, l think Travelodge is a top alternative. We had a rather good breakfast at the Asda just up the road £10 for the two of us, bargain....and on another day we walked into town, 15 mins walk away to a local coffee house and a very tasty snack.
Apart from the weather we had a great few days, and would definitely use this group of hotels again as they are good, clean, basic and reasonably priced.

Room Tip: Ask for one not near the entrance as l am sure you would be able to hear the entrance door being ope...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 October 2013

When I arrived there was nobody at the reception desk, so I pressed the call member of staff button which made a holy racket, after about 15 mins somebody appeared and looked fazed to find a customer waiting. The staff member did not smile or make eye contact, they stared at the screen forever more. I enquired about the breakfast deal my company had requested and I was told it was not on my booking. I was told to rectify this myself, which I did, and I requested the breakfast be delivered at 7:30 am. The room had a damp smell, There were only two towels (one large, one small) provided for a Monday to Friday stay, not something you expect after having dragged your suitcase up the stairs because there is no lift. The windows were mouldy on the seals and there were still hairs in the sink, clearly the cleaning staff did not give a care to the state of it. There was a constant smell of cigarette smoke coming from the night staff downstairs. I found it hard to sleep as there was noise of doors opening and closing and something being dragged along the floor. When I finally woke up there was no breakfast at 7:30 and the staff had changed hands. I was now dealing with a cleaner. Apparently the night staff had not recorded the breakfast and it 'still wasn't showing' on the system. The cleaner was not fussed whether I got my breakfast or not. I decided to go to Asda across the road where I got a lovely breakfast. The second night involved less banging, however there was still a constant smell of smoke. I then woke up to the same miserable cleaner from the previous morning swearing at the bin at the entrance as they were emptying and banging it. I had to take myself to Asda yet again. Upon return I discovered my room had not been serviced for the second night in a row. It was at this point I contacted my company and they arranged alternative accommodation at the Lisdoonie Hotel in Barrow which was miles better than the Travelodge. The staff were friendly, and I actually received a home cooked breakfast upon request. The five days I spent there were much more relaxing and the room was regularly cleaned. The staff were happy every single morning, unlike the misery that was Travelodge's staff. It doesn't matter if the hotel has had a recent refurbishment, because it is more about the cleanliness and quality of service. I can't see this place lasting much longer when Premier Inn opens it's doors.

Room Tip: Anything that isn't front facing.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge Barrow in Furness, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear CarenH1967, we are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your recent stay. We do expect our staff to provide a warm and friendly welcome to all of our guests so we are truly sorry that this did not happen during your stay. We also expect that when a guest enters a room it is up to our high standards of cleanliness and that the room is set up appropriately before your arrival. We’d like to be able to contact you to find a resolution so please could you visit our website and select the Contact Us button to tell us more and when doing so please indicate you have left a TripAdvisor review.
Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights last weekend. This Travelodge has been recently refurbished and the rooms are clean and the king-size bed very comfortable. Good rate at only £24 a night and overall happy with our stay. Our only gripe was there were a couple of families close by and the noise and running about by the kids going from room to room every 2 minutes was annoying

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
TravelodgeUK, Amy from Customer Care at Travelodge Barrow in Furness, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Thank you for your review scotsman2011. We are really happy to hear you had a comfortable night sleep and you were happy with our new refurbished rooms. We are however sorry to learn you were disturbed by customers in the rooms nearby. We do ask all of our guests to be courteous to other guests in the hotel during their stay. We try to keep large groups together and require our hotel staff to regularly patrol the hotel. Your feedback will be passed onto the Hotel Management team so this can be addressed.
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Stayed here as we wanted to spend a day in Cumbria to break a longer journey. Chose this one out of a few potential Travelodges in the area as it was the cheapest for that night. Family members warned us that Barrow was a very industrial/ugly town but we rather liked it and thought the huge imposing submarine factories on the skyline were fascinating! Stayed in a family room (travelled as two adults and our toddler).

+ The staff were friendly & helpful.
+ There is an Asda just across the road which was handy for breakfast and takeaway food.
+ Plentiful supply of tea/coffee etc..
+ Good shower.
+ Plenty of parking.

- One of the lamps in our room was gross and manky!
- We asked for forks to eat some cold food for Asda with but these were unable to be provided (to be expected from Travelodge I guess).
- The room layout could be better as there are no plugs near the bed meaning you can't charge your phone overnight whilst having it nearby for alarms in the morning etc..
- Our key card stopped working on one occasion though this was quickly rectified.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Wolverhampton
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We have just returned from a three night stay at the travel lodge in Barrow we have stayed here previously. The staff are always pleasant and extremely helpful at this travel lodge.
The refurbishment has certainly improved the standard as the king size beds were extremely comfortable the décor was colourful and stylish.
The rooms were spotlessly clean.
We like Barrow as it is close to the coast, lakes and if the weather is not too good at least you have the town centre and retail park near by to visit all are within walking distance.
The view was lovely overlooking the Lake with various species of ducks.
We also got a good deal on this weekend nearly had a faux par as accidently booked an extra night only to find we had already booked it but the receptionist dealt with it swiftly and cancelled it for us as we did not have internet access.
For breakfast we visited the Asda Café opposite which provided excellent service value for money piping hot breakfast and a lovely clean environment it was a pleasure to eat there.
Thank you Travel lodge you have certainly got it right and have a wonderful team working for you at Barrow Well Done!

Room Tip: Room 112 good view of the Lake
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 September 2013

I have never stayed here before, or any other travelodge. I have stayed in various hotels in Barrow as I visit about twice a year. What a pleasant surprise. The rooms were very bright, spotless with kingsized comfortable beds and the staff could not have been more helpful. I booked quite early so got an amazing deal. But to be honest I would now use them in preference to anywhere else I have stayed. No they don't go overboard with toiletries or towels, but you only had to ask for clean towels or more tea coffee etc and it was happily supplied. Well done travelodge and your staff at Barrow are A1

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Hotel
Premier Inn Barrow-In-Furness Ho...
#3 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
#2 of 13 in Barrow-in-Furness
Travelodge Kendal
Travelodge Kendal
#4 of 14 in Kendal

Been to Travelodge Barrow in Furness? Share your experiences!