“Good staff and excellent value for money at the weekends too!”
Review of The Hotel Majestic

The Hotel Majestic
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
“Good staff and excellent value for money at the weekends too!”
Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed a few nights while on business in the area. The staff on reception are very friendly and can't be more helpful. The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. Good value for money. I would recommend it to anyone

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank PrestonLesley

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I only stayed one night but was very favourably impressed. My singlt room was spacious and very clean. The staff were pleasant and very helpful. the only downside was the town hall clock which sounds every quarter and the hour but other than that my stay was good. It is in a central position which was important for me as I had travelled to Barrow by train and being a female on my own it was an improtant factor. ican also recomment Francesca's, which is part of the hotel. It was noisy the night I went but there was a very large party in but the pizza was excellant.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room at the rear and probably not at a weekend as could be noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
katesue85
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stayed in one of the Majestic's double rooms and were given a room at the front of the hotel.

Unfortunately the booming music, swearing and shouting from the local pubs didn't stop until 3am so we didn't get to sleep until after then. The room was basic but clean and warm. The price was very reasonable at £35 which included breakfast.

However one of the cupboards in our room, which had a drop-down flap at the front and was very heavy, had a faulty hinge. As I was bending down to unzip my big the flap popped open and smashed into my shoulder. AGONY!!! I was just thankful it wasn't my young daughter's head!!! We reported this to the hotel receptionist and she just shook her head and said "Oh no" and that was it! No accident book, no apology, nothing! Incredibly dangerous and as I say, I'm just grateful it was my shoulder and not somebody's head.

The lift was still out of order and from reading previous posts it appears to have been out of order for a while. The bar area is for over 18s only which isn't ideal for families but this didn't really bother us as we had our young daughter with us so we wouldn't have been able to sample the local ale anyway - it's usually a hot chocolate and bed at 9pm for us! But for families with older children it might have been nice to have been pre-warned.

The hotel is ideal for couples or possibly stag/hen dos as you're close to bars and restaurants and for £35 you get a warm bed, a bath and a breakfast. Would not recommend to families.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel so as to avoid the noise from revellers and if you are elder...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank katesue85
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Stayed for 1 night in the hotel. Even though I have given it a rating of 3, it could easily be a 4. The reason I have rated it as a 3 is because I was disappointed to have to be moved to a double room because the heating in our executive room would not work (and it was a cold night!) The young man on reception however, could not be more helpful. He quickly found us a warmer room and it was just as clean and tidy, although not an executive as booked. We were only charged for the room we stayed in though and were overall very happy with our stay. Breakfast was great with a good choice, full english or cereal and toast. For the price I paid I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We booked to stay at the Hotel Majestic for a Sunday night because of my husband's work. We couldn't believe the price for B&B but decided to be positive after I read the reviews. We weren't disappointed. The service was excellent - we had a reasonable room [although on second floor and as expected the lift wasn't working!], although it was very hot overnight. We came back to the hotel quite late and the night porter opened the resident's lounge so we could have one last drink. The breakfast was well-named - it was called the Ultimate and was brilliant. We also had an excellent meal in the hotel restaurant on the Sunday evening and would definitely recommend it. I also thought I had lost a necklace in the room and left my telephone number with reception and with the cleaning staff. Once I got home, the hotel phoned to say that they hadn't been able to locate the necklace which I thought was great service [it was found elsewhere]. I would definitely recommend staying at this hotel and would certainly do so again, if we visited Barrow in the future.

Room Tip: Since the lift doesn't seem to work, then anyone with problems with stairs need to get a lower r...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2013

We were due to stay one night at this hotel. The hotel itself isn't too bad, just unbearably warm and without any toilet paper. The location was absolutely horrific, we lasted a maximum of an hour here before making a swift exit. I do not recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
York, UK
Reviewed 24 February 2013

I debated long and hard whether to reward The Majestic with 3 out 5 (Average) or 4 out of 5 (Very Good).

It is located on the edge of Barrow In Furness town centre - which is just a few minutes walk away and about 15 minutes from the railway station.

We had a room on the top floor - overlooking the main road and a round-a-bout.

Housed within the same building is an Italian restaurant (Francescas) and the hotel bar. The reception area is small and when we arrived there was no one there. We duly rang the bell provided and no one arrived. After the second ring (and an overall wait of around 5 minutes) a member of staff arrived and checked us in.

The hotel has three floors (for bedrooms) and a lift between them - which was't working when we stayed there.

Our room was relatively clean (there was a bit of dust lurking in obscure places and the spare pillow was badly stained) and tastefully decorated. A TV had most Freeview channels. The pillows provided seemed very thin (possibly life expired) and the mattress had a lot of "give" in it as well.

We had a bath in our room - although some rooms do have a shower and no bath. The en-suite had no curtain - just a net so people outside could potentially see inside the bathroom. Part of the bath enamel was missing (leaving a black "spot") and some bathrooms fittings has broken off leaving metal on the wall but nothing else.

The traffic noise didn't disturb us (we stayed a Saturday night) and all in all we had a good nights sleep.

In the hall outside the room was a "communal" iron and ironing board that could be borrowed if required.

Breakfast was served the following morning in the Italian restaurant and the staff were friendly and attentive. The offer the usual cereals, yoghurts and fruit juices followed by a cooked option which ranges from The Ultimate (Bacon, Sausage, Egg, Hash Brown, Black Pudding, Tomato, Beans, Mushroom and Toast) to just a bacon sarnie. The breakfast was a pleasant surprise and was very tasty.

As first mentioned we struggled to decide upon a rating for this hotel. 3/5 seemed too harsh and 4/5 seemed too good. It does have some minor problems but we paid just £35 for the room and a great breakfast. If they paid attention to some of the smaller details it would be a very good stay.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple