“You get what you pay for...”
Review of The Hotel Majestic

The Hotel Majestic
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Typicsl 'white van man' hotel with inexpensive rooms, but pretty basic with old fashioned single glazing.

The lift is broken, so avoid the third floor if you have lots of luggage!

The rooms are stuffy with the only ventilation via the old fashioned single glazed windows. However, when the 'nightclub' kicks off at midnight until well past 3 am, opening a window isnt an option! Having said that, closing the windows does little to drown out the 'boom boom' and patrons outside the nightclub shouting & swearing until well past 3am.

Evening meals are nice in the Italian themed restaurant, however breakfast is dire affair.

If your looking for a good nights sleep, I'd avoid.

• Stayed: May 2013

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Stayed for 1 night with my husband on a sat night. The hotel is located in the town centre and plenty of free parking. Staff were pleasant, but service was slow at times. This was especially so at breakfast. Waited 15mins to get our order taken. However, when it did finally arrive it was really good! Great quality, portion size and taste. It was a moderately warm day outside c15 degrees, and the hotel was so warm and stuffy inside. Some of the radiators were on the corridors which was bizarre. Everywhere was hot, and I didn't see 1 open window! Mainly because they couldn't ope. Our room was hot, and we could only open the window an inch. My parents had a room that was stifling hotel, and the windows didnt open at all. luckily, the hotel moved them, and they got a much cooler room with windows that would open. This hotel will be like a sauna in the summer! Our room was clean, spacious and a modern new bathroom! For £40 we thought it was excellent value, but the hot atmosphere and slow service let it down, so I would give it a good! I don't think we would stay again, as we prefer another hotel in Barrow.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Stayed one night in a family room with breakfast included for £45. Pleasantly surprised with this hotel after reading mixed reviews.the only bad point was that we were on the 2nd floor and the lift was out of order!!. the room was spacious,clean and comfortable.the breakfast had good options,with fruit juice,cereals,yoghurt,fruit and hot food.the staff were very friendly and approachable.I would stay here again if in the area.

Room Tip: ask for a 1st floor room as the lift does not work
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank andyw29
Reviewed 3 May 2013 via mobile

I stayed a few nights while on business in the area. The staff on reception are very friendly and can't be more helpful. The rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. Good value for money. I would recommend it to anyone

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank PrestonLesley
Reviewed 27 April 2013

I only stayed one night but was very favourably impressed. My singlt room was spacious and very clean. The staff were pleasant and very helpful. the only downside was the town hall clock which sounds every quarter and the hour but other than that my stay was good. It is in a central position which was important for me as I had travelled to Barrow by train and being a female on my own it was an improtant factor. ican also recomment Francesca's, which is part of the hotel. It was noisy the night I went but there was a very large party in but the pizza was excellant.

Room Tip: I would try to get a room at the rear and probably not at a weekend as could be noisy.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 March 2013

We stayed in one of the Majestic's double rooms and were given a room at the front of the hotel.

Unfortunately the booming music, swearing and shouting from the local pubs didn't stop until 3am so we didn't get to sleep until after then. The room was basic but clean and warm. The price was very reasonable at £35 which included breakfast.

However one of the cupboards in our room, which had a drop-down flap at the front and was very heavy, had a faulty hinge. As I was bending down to unzip my big the flap popped open and smashed into my shoulder. AGONY!!! I was just thankful it wasn't my young daughter's head!!! We reported this to the hotel receptionist and she just shook her head and said "Oh no" and that was it! No accident book, no apology, nothing! Incredibly dangerous and as I say, I'm just grateful it was my shoulder and not somebody's head.

The lift was still out of order and from reading previous posts it appears to have been out of order for a while. The bar area is for over 18s only which isn't ideal for families but this didn't really bother us as we had our young daughter with us so we wouldn't have been able to sample the local ale anyway - it's usually a hot chocolate and bed at 9pm for us! But for families with older children it might have been nice to have been pre-warned.

The hotel is ideal for couples or possibly stag/hen dos as you're close to bars and restaurants and for £35 you get a warm bed, a bath and a breakfast. Would not recommend to families.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back of the hotel so as to avoid the noise from revellers and if you are elder...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank katesue85
Reviewed 13 March 2013

Stayed for 1 night in the hotel. Even though I have given it a rating of 3, it could easily be a 4. The reason I have rated it as a 3 is because I was disappointed to have to be moved to a double room because the heating in our executive room would not work (and it was a cold night!) The young man on reception however, could not be more helpful. He quickly found us a warmer room and it was just as clean and tidy, although not an executive as booked. We were only charged for the room we stayed in though and were overall very happy with our stay. Breakfast was great with a good choice, full english or cereal and toast. For the price I paid I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family