“Two nights to visit family”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Hotel Majestic

The Hotel Majestic
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Porthmadog, United Kingdom
“Two nights to visit family”
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Free car park, room great, comfy bed, plenty of hot water, even though we had a room at the front it was quiet, no noise from the pub opposite. Italian restaurant downstairs very busy, food was good. Staff vey friendly and helpful, porter opened the front door to let us in at 12.30, Breakfast was fine, we wanted to stay an extra night but they were full and phoned their sister hotel Imperial to book us in.( Imperial was cheaper and nicer, but no quibble with Majestic. Location for shops very good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I Stayed here for 4 nights from Monday 21st and Left on Friday 25th October. The hotel is situated on a main road with a few bars in close vicinity which makes the outside noise level a little bit more than some would like, however, once I was sleeping, nothing going on outside disturbed me so it wasn't that bad. If the windows were to be updated, the noise reduction would be great. The room I had was a big double room and as well as the double bed, also had a spare single bed so plenty of sleeping space. Plenty of space in the wardrobe, I didn't use the telly so can’t comment, tea/coffee making facilities are there and plentiful and the maids are happy to top up when running low. The room and bathroom were of excellent standard. There were signs of the paint peeling from the wall (street-side) but again not a problem, if it was caused by damp then it must be a very persistent damp because my room was always cosy and warm. I had no need to open the windows to cool down as both radiators had thermostat controls. They were always on so the option is left to the guest to have them on or off via the thermostats. Apart from the small bit of paint peeling and the little bit of noise from outside, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel. I was there on business and working late, the hotel accommodated me for this without me even having to ask. The maids left me alone because of my late mornings so worked around my hours of sleep and the reception staff arranged for a late breakfast (bacon and egg muffin with a cup of coffee) for each day. I have stayed in other hotels where if you miss breakfast then it is tough luck. Overall, anything I asked for was not a problem. The offer of late breakfast each day was very generous. The offer of a late checkout on Friday was also much appreciated but not needed. The food here is spot on. Nothing is too much trouble for the restaurant staff, the reception and bar staff, and also the room maids. The whole staff team are professional, pleasant and welcoming, I even got shown a few magic tricks by the night receptionist. Thanks Majestic for a great stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
South Shields, UK
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Staff were all lovely. Food (both breakfast and evening meal in restaurant) was really good with lots of choice. Hotel was rough around the edges (eg damp patch on room wall) but very clean. Had to ask reception for hairdryer which I thought was strange as it's usually a given these days. £50 per night for family room B&B was bargain compared to other places. Would recommend it as a place to get your head down and have good breakfast but not if you like to spend a lot of time in your room. Would go back if in the area.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank CnDButton
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Spent two nights here last week and I think the hotel needs quite a bit of a kick up the backside. The staff are pleasant and quite helpful, however when we booked in we were happily told that the lift was out of order, right after we were told our room was on the third floor! At no time were we asked if it would be a problem. Neither of us are the fittest people around and the climb was a real chore after the 5th or 6th assent. We were quite disturbed to find out on Tripadvisor that the lift has been out of order for months. Not very good practice really. The only reason we didn't ask to be moved was because of the thought of getting disturbed by the drunks from the pub over the road (which wasn't too bad but I could see that we were just probably lucky)

The room itself was quite large and pleasant at first glance, but it wasn't long before we noticed some of the faults.

There was no phone in our room (although there was a phone socket) so If we needed anything it meant going down 9 flights of stairs then back up again. The windows in our room where small and old. One obviously had been opened at some time and must have jammed. The half pitched solution has been to seal the opening (badly) with silicone. The other window had large gaps in the glazing bringing the noise even closer and a nice draft! The single glazing meant that everything that went on outside was still quite loud and a police car siren at 2pm sounded as if it was about to crash through the wall, it made us both jump from our sleep. (In fairness the town centre was very quiet and that amplified any sound a quite bit).

Other faults included a large gap under the door right opposite the bed, it wouldn't have been very difficult for someone to place a camera phone down there to record any intimate moments! A simple draft excluder would sort this!
The kettle was stored right underneath the quite large television in the same cabinet. I'm sure the steam from it wouldn't be very good for the electronics and may cause someone to get a very nasty shock one day! It had certainly affected the shape of the cupboard which now wouldn't close. I know they don't advertise one but the room could use a hairdryer too.
Although decorated to a good standard, there were a few errors. One of the sockets had been repaired at some point and after being filled, had been left unfinished and un painted. There was a large stain on the ceiling that had been lightly painted over but was now seeping back, and another part had cracked and fallen out. The glasses it the bathroom had residue of the last inhabitants, the cups and saucers where dated and stained, and (my wife commented) there where no biscuits with the coffee!

Parking wasn't too bad when we first arrived, however limited space means a first come first served situation. we returned a little late one evening and I ended up parking in the jobcentre car park next door. The night receptionist advised me to move my car by 7am to avoid a fine as that is when a number of guests leave. I got up early to do this and it turned out it was the night time staff leaving and the early staff were quickly moving their cars into the now vacant spaces!

On the plus side, The hotel was warm, very warm! And the food in the restaurant was delicious. Breakfast was alright, though nothing special. Not sure why they call it an 'ultimate breakfast' when it what was in fact a standard full English breakfast anywhere else! service was ok although on the second morning we had to wait nearly half an hour while they served 4 couples that came in after us.

We could possibly go back but they would need to pull their finger out and pay attention to some of the details that make a difference.

Room Tip: most people say ask for a rear room as it's quieter, it does however have a not so pleasant view...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2013

Stayed at the Majestic Hotel from 1st August 4 nights. We had a lovely quiet room, very relaxing. nicely furnished. Great bathroom, but it didn't have a towel rail, or hook behind door, nowhere to hang your things, but it was spacious with great bath and shower. So we spoke to reception about this and we understand that it will be fitted. We will definitely stay there again. The restaurant was fabulous, the food and staff were excellent.
The evening reception/bar man is really nice and very obliging.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room at the back. We did and never heard anyone at all.We will request the same roo...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Bolton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Stayed here on the night of 5th August. Plan was to stay here one night, and go to South Lakes Animal Park in Dalton. Location turned out to be great for that, and the hotel itself is fine for £40 a night.
The other plus point is the Italian restaurant attached to the hotel. Great food, and very reasonable price.
Why one star then you may ask?? The room itself was hotter than some saunas I have had. No problem, open the window!
Do this, and not only do the seagulls and the church bells keep you awake.. (Yes, I know you can't do anything about them!!)
However as mentioned several times by other guests, the main problem is drunken idiots roaming about outside until 4am... Surely the hotel could speak to the council or local authorities. Not sure where they come out from, but thanks to that, I got two hours sleep at best.
Hence for that reason alone, 1 star. I could've driven from home, and had more sleep.....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Galgate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

If Id been on my own or with a partner Id have kicked up a fuss. It is/was cheap. We paid £35 for a room each and I suppose at the end of the day thats not too bad. But three very bad things. Firstly we were at the top of the hotel and the lift was broken. Worse, when I asked the nice geezer on reception he said it hadnt worked in years. Second my room had big damp patches in three corners with black mould. Im asthmatic and stuff like that worries me. Lastly we got back at about 2.30am (a fairly sensible stag party) and I was kept awake until around 5 by shouting and screaming (more the latter). Drove me mad and made the hangover much worse. Not for me. Breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Try if possible to avoid any room facing the road.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends