“majestic majestic???”
Review of The Hotel Majestic

The Hotel Majestic
Ranked #9 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Reviewed 20 December 2013

for location this has a lot of positives, but an equal number of negatives.

It is easy to find, has a its own bijou car park, town centre and close to the reason for most peoples travel to Barrow, the shipyard.

The negatives, the hotel has been renovated, but with typical medditeranean flair and ability into which I ask you to interpret. the stairs are dubious, the lift I believe has been out of service a long while and the windows rattle more loudly than a reptiles tail. But te real negative has nothing to with the hotel. The Town hall, 2 doors down the road, has a clock that strikes the hour, the half hour and the quarter hour and even in a room as far as is possible in the hotel, sleeping through this public service can pose a challenge.

Room Tip: rooms on the north side are within line of sight of the clock.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank AndyJBall

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Visiting family. The lift wasn't working, no hot water in our first room. They upgraded us to the top floor, which caused some issues as Husband has back problems,
NEW ROOM WAS AMAZING (used to staying at Travelodge). Lots of space, spa bath. Bed was comfortable, and staff were happy to help. Breakfast was a little hit and miss with ordering from staff, but also had a buffet if you wanted cereal.
Had spoken to staff on the phone before our stay and they had been really good.
If it wasn't for the lift being out we would have had a great stay. Enjoyed our upgrade.
Haven't been back yet to see if the lift is fixed. Could do with some extra parking spaces.
Would recommend if your not disabled.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the road are quieter or on the top floor. Ring before booking if you have any spec...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank katoncampus
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Just came back from a Saturday night stay at the Majestic. Rooms and service were ok but the location was awful. The hotel is on a busy roundabout so there is a lot of vehicle noise through the single pane windows (we were in room 105, right at the front of the hotel). There were loads of very noisy guests who returned shouting and swearing all night up until 5am! The final annoyance was the town Church bells which if we did manage to fall asleep wakened us up on the half hour and hour. My wife's summery..........we would have got more sleep if we would have slept on the Pavement!!
Breakfast was very good and the staff were friendly.

Room Tip: If you get a room at the front don't unpack until you get one higher up around the back!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed here last weekend with my wife and baby daughter. Front of house staff were super friendly and couldn't have been any more helpful. Good spacious room with plenty of room for the travel cot and playmat, decent beds and shower room too.
Good choice on the breakfast menu, the full English was beautifully presented, which was included in the bargain price of £40 a night.
Well located in the centre of town and close to south lakes animal park which is well worth a visit.
Francesca's Italian restaurant is also worth mentioning, we ate here on both nights of our stay and it is reasonably priced and the food/service is brilliant, baby friendly too. Highly recommended hotel as a base for exploring the Lake District.

Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 13 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed on business & hotel was booked for me. Outside looked slightly dated but ok & there was a free hotel car park. Reception staff where very friendly & helpful. Room was a good size, very clean & bathroom with shower over bath was spotless. Breakfast was included in the price & was delicious. The breakfast area is a Italian restaurant by day/night which I would also recommend.
I recommend this hotel to anyone wanting clean accommodation, excellent breakfast @ a reasonable price. I'll use it again.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 November 2013

Free car park, room great, comfy bed, plenty of hot water, even though we had a room at the front it was quiet, no noise from the pub opposite. Italian restaurant downstairs very busy, food was good. Staff vey friendly and helpful, porter opened the front door to let us in at 12.30, Breakfast was fine, we wanted to stay an extra night but they were full and phoned their sister hotel Imperial to book us in.( Imperial was cheaper and nicer, but no quibble with Majestic. Location for shops very good.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I Stayed here for 4 nights from Monday 21st and Left on Friday 25th October. The hotel is situated on a main road with a few bars in close vicinity which makes the outside noise level a little bit more than some would like, however, once I was sleeping, nothing going on outside disturbed me so it wasn't that bad. If the windows were to be updated, the noise reduction would be great. The room I had was a big double room and as well as the double bed, also had a spare single bed so plenty of sleeping space. Plenty of space in the wardrobe, I didn't use the telly so can’t comment, tea/coffee making facilities are there and plentiful and the maids are happy to top up when running low. The room and bathroom were of excellent standard. There were signs of the paint peeling from the wall (street-side) but again not a problem, if it was caused by damp then it must be a very persistent damp because my room was always cosy and warm. I had no need to open the windows to cool down as both radiators had thermostat controls. They were always on so the option is left to the guest to have them on or off via the thermostats. Apart from the small bit of paint peeling and the little bit of noise from outside, there is absolutely nothing wrong with this hotel. I was there on business and working late, the hotel accommodated me for this without me even having to ask. The maids left me alone because of my late mornings so worked around my hours of sleep and the reception staff arranged for a late breakfast (bacon and egg muffin with a cup of coffee) for each day. I have stayed in other hotels where if you miss breakfast then it is tough luck. Overall, anything I asked for was not a problem. The offer of late breakfast each day was very generous. The offer of a late checkout on Friday was also much appreciated but not needed. The food here is spot on. Nothing is too much trouble for the restaurant staff, the reception and bar staff, and also the room maids. The whole staff team are professional, pleasant and welcoming, I even got shown a few magic tricks by the night receptionist. Thanks Majestic for a great stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business