“Weekend away”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
“Weekend away”
Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We stayed here based on reviews by other trip advisors... Wanted to just get away but have comfort.. Weren't disappointed!

The hotel is decorated and furnished to a high modern standard.. As it's near Christmas, the decorations were up and they too were tastefully done.

We stated on first floor, the room was very large, high ceiling, beautiful bedding, curtains, all Excellant textures, quality materials. The bathroom followed in the same style, quality, tasteful modern style, large bath with fantastic power shower.

Enough power points in th from too, something which drives me daft is not having a socket close to a mirror in a room, to blow dry my hair! No shortage of sockets! Room and bathroom was immaculately clean too!

We stayed for dinner on the first night and booked for 8pm...just after booking in and booking the restaurant the reception called to say the chef had said would we like to eat early or later than 8pm at all, as there was a large Christmas party coming in to eat at 8pm and he felt we may experience a delay in our food, so wanted to give us option of eating at a different time so we wouldn't be disappointed in service! We did change time.. But felt this was brilliant of them to think ahead! The food was utterly delicious and presented like the hotel, in a modern way, quality produce used! Delicious! The waiting staff were brilliant, nothing too much trouble!

Breakfast next morning was a comfortable relaxed affair, again good choice, brilliant service and food delicious!

We really enjoyed our stay here, from the outside it looks like an old fashioned pub if I'm honest.. But inside, it's a classy, modern, comfortable, hospitable, friendly hotel/bistro/bar..... I'd definitely stay again!!

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Debi H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Reviewed 12 November 2013 via mobile

This has been my second stay on business in Barrow. Staff are friendly and welcoming. The rooms are well equipped without being cluttered. The food offered in the evening is reasonable and well presented. It is expensive for where and what it is, but safe. Would recommend.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 November 2013 via mobile

Visited the Duke on 1st November.Upon check in was immeadiatly without any prompting upgraded from standard to an Exec Double...great start!!!. The room was fantastic bathroom looked like the centre fold of a upmarket property magazine....and the bed was the size of a tennis court and very comfortable....all usual refinements in room....The bar area is good with a huge selection of beers ales lagers etc...and also a vodka menu....Heaven!!.....As my visit was of a certain nature wining and dining was a must so upon asking for reccomendations in town I was given honest courteous advice with the added "Have you considered our resteraunt which was described as excellent...On the strength of this I duly booked a table for two.....smart move the food and service was excellent....a service and quality standard was rapidly emerging here...Upon finishing our meal we were politely advised that the basement bar had luve entertainment that evening.....So again I heeded the prompt....and guess what??? Great band playing in a very cosy well furnished venue...tgere was a great vibe down there and unsurprisingly the survice was top drawer....very talented bartender i may add...In a nutshell if your in Barrow look no further yes its a touch pricier than a travelodge but this place compensates on an epic scale....Couldnt write this without saying thank you and well done to....Ryan...Taylor...The Hulk...(Chris)....Stacey ...Karen....Keith the charasmatic night porter.....and finally the beautiful Rachel and Tara....Oh musnt forget the lift which has a life of its own....and charachter to match.....

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Kendal
Reviewed 23 October 2013

We'd had three days in the Cumbrian countryside and wanted a couple of days in a city (big town). Wife had a show to see, I wanted to go karting and I was quite keen on a bit of sea fishing. Picked the Duke of Edinburgh Hotel as it was centrally located with parking. Probably weren't expecting much. We were brilliantly surprised. What a fantastic hotel. Probably aimed at my age group (30-50) I'd guess with the style of music, types of beer, the way it's decorated and all. Which was a bit of a difference after three days in Grasmere and Grange over Sands where I was growing tired of the colour pink and dried flowers. Our room was great. Views were "urban" but everything else was a step up from where we'd just left. WI-FI worked and was fast. What made it very special was the bar downstairs with 8 different real ales. Reminded us a lot of Tweedies in Grasmere, just not quite as rustic and a lot bigger. Also, though extemely busy, the hotel attracts a "nice" audience. All and all a pretty cool find.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Addy R
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We booked a 3 night stay and enjoyed every minute.
Parking is free in the hotel car park (spacious) just across the road.
We arrived early but our room was ready, we were upgraded at no expense.
Our room was spacious and spotless with all the right facilities.
The food was second to none and the staff were very obliging especially the young girl
at breakfast (Tara) she was so busy all the time but this didn't affect the service at all.
she is a credit to the hotel.
I asked the hotel manager to have the toilet looked at as it was hissing for hours on end after flushing (which kept us awake) but nothing was done - Room 211 ?
With the hotel being right on a busy main road , I would not recommend this hotel for families.
The shops and pubs are within walking distance and are very welcoming.
We will definitely be staying at this hotel again in the future and will be recommending this hotel to all our friends.
P.s there is a memorial statue of Emlyn Hughes facing the hotel which was nice to see.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed at the Duke of Edinburgh for one night whilst on a business trip to Barrow. The hotel is well appointed and our room was very comfortable and kept to a high standard. There is a good bar, which has a great range of real ales, and served good food.

The service in the restaurant at breakfast this morning really let the hotel down. For hotels in the business market, as this one clearly is, 20 minutes - 30 minutes maximum - should be sufficient for breakfast. I went down to the restaurant at 7.30am, needing to leave the hotel at 8.15am to get to our meeting on time. I was greeted by a waiter who took my room number and, having served myself to cereals and fruit juice, I joined colleagues at one of the tables. From that point it was a full 15 minutes, despite asking, before a waitress came to my table and took my order. I was served coffee, but the full English failed to appear despite asking. I was promised it was just being plated up, but 5 minutes later I was forced to leave at 8.05am still with no breakfast in sight.

I complained at reception on checking out and was given the excuse that there had been a problem in the kitchen. It shouldn't have been my problem, but I was the one that went off to work hungry!

I will think twice before staying at this hotel again. Talking with colleagues who have stayed there before, slow service is a regular problem. The hotel needs to sort this out.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
buckinghamshire
Reviewed 8 October 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed in Windermere and wanted to return so inadvertently well by mistake booked this hotel as we drove into the area and realised our mistake we tried to cancel our rooms and head back to the lakes but time was against us so with trepidation we checked in , what a very pleasant surprise the rooms were really great ,clean,spacious,air on,,my room had a fabulous roll top bath and a Hugh walk in shower. The service was outstanding and the food in the bar was great,lovely choice and to finish off the breakfast was hot and delicious . What. Lucky find I truly hope this hotel goes on from strength to strength as the owners deserve it , as you know I'm in the industry so trust me and visit . I may want to visit the lakes but I'd stay here again Well Done

Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Damson Dene Hotel
Damson Dene Hotel
#1 of 1 in Crosthwaite
The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant

Been to The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel? Share your experiences!