“Hotel as good as the beer.”

The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Preston, United Kingdom
“Hotel as good as the beer.”
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We're big fans of Lancaster Brewery and the Sun Hotel in Lancaster. Need to do a review of the Sun Hotel, maybe in a week or so. Anyway, we stayed at the Duke in Barrow for two nights over the Valentines Day weekend. Happily I noticed straight away that they had four Lancaster beers on tap so that was me sorted. The wife was happy as the wine list was at least as long as the Suns. Our room was on the top floor, up the slow but very pretty lift and out along the corridor.A standard room, it had loads of space, a nice modern and expensive looking bathroom, good wifi connectivity and very stylishly presented. The LCD tv was showing its age just a smidgeon but perfectly fine. Apparently ours was one of the original rooms when the hotel relaunched 8 years ago, it was in amazing nick considering that. Pretty much appeared brand new, so congrats to the cleaning people. We dined at the Duke on the first night and enjoyed the food a lot. Looked after by two very smart young ladies (actually the staff here are smarter than the more casually dressed Sun). On the saturday we ventured up into the Lakes. Only 15 minutes and youre in the wilds of the mountains.

Great stay, another Lancaster Brewery treasure.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrParkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

This was our first mini break with our son. We found the hotel absolutely great. Clean and spacious room. Travel cot provided which was nice and clean with baby blankets also provided. Great bed and shower. Will definitely be back. Well done DOE :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank YeomanC
Robin Hood's Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Well, this was a surprise. Fantastic hotel, slap bang in the middle of town but in an area that seems to have had a lot of investment recently. Old Emlyn Hughes statue just opposite. Don't know what the problem is with the parking, not many town centre hotels have any parking nowadays and this one is smart and free, about 20 yards from the entrance. Anyway, room was great. Blooming big bed, about 6 foot wide and very nice bathroom indeed. Pub downstairs was a real ale enthusiasts dream and we finished the night having a right good look at their malt whisky selection. I'll be back in a few months and won't bother with anywhere else. Thanks for Barry on the bar for all his help.

Room Tip: I was in room 212 and it was very nice indeed.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Malcolm C
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I paid £115 per night to stay here. At this price in Barrow-in-Furness I think it is reasonable to expect this hotel to do everything right. Unfortunately there were a few issues that, although minor, are not really acceptable in my opinion.

Parking is far from ideal, being across a main road. I realise the hotel is limited in what they can offer for parking, but there was no effort made to minimise this inconvenience. I was not asked if I needed help with luggage and there did not seem to be a trolley or similar I could use if required.

The 'trendy' sink and tap in my room made it difficult to fill the kettle.

I found the décor of my room rather drab (predominantly beige). Obviously this is a matter of preference, but on a winters evening it felt a bit grim.

Breakfast was disappointing. The cooked stuff was made to order, and very nice. But the cold buffet was very basic. If Premier Inn can manage fresh fruit and croissants I think a 'proper' hotel should be able to do the same.

And one quite bizarre experience. I had an evening meal in the restaurant. The menu said that the dish I ordered came with mashed potatoes. I asked if I could swap this for chips but was told by the waitress that customers are not allowed to make substitutions. I have to say I have never had this happen before. OK, so a side order of chips was an extra £2.25, but as a principle I am quite staggered.

In summary, if the price had been more reasonable I would have overlooked the minor issues and given a higher score.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank A B
Halesowen, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 February 2014 via mobile

We are just back from a long weekend staying here. The staff were helpful and friendly, the room was lovely and food fantastic. Thank you for a really lovely weekend and would definitely return for a future stay, good value for the money we paid. Thank you

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kate M
Reviewed 16 February 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend (20) and I (22) stayed here on the weekend of valentines day. The hotel itself was very nice the rooms were spacious the bed was comfy and the bathroom was very modern. On arrival the staff were very friendly and were quick to sort us out with a car parking permit, However the later the evening went on the more the car park filled up and there was limited space as it was only small. Same too can be said about the restaurant inside the hotel, we were not informed that we had to book in advance if we were to eat in the restaurant, so if you are going at a busy time for a example weekends and holidays make sure you book in early to avoid disappointment. The lift in the hotel is excruciatingly slow but works. Please be aware that the Hotel is situated on a main road meaning people and cars can be heard accelerating as it is situated on a crossroad but overall a good stay.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Matthew H
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 February 2014

we stayed here in february for valentines day the hotel itself is really nice, rooms where very spacious bed was massive and very comfortable, tv has all freeview channels and the bathroom was really nice excellent shower. You could also change your heating for your room which was a nice touch. staff were very nice and helpful as soon as we arrived. only negatives the lift is exceptionally slow! you could crawl down the stairs faster. The restaurant and bar was very busy and loud didn't inform us that we had to book a table when we arrived but when we went down for dinner it was full with no chance of waiting. The car park is across from the hotel and far too small for the amount of people who stay there. Overall for the price it is a good hotel but would recommend eating elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank cmarieb20
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
Applegarth Villa and Restaurant
Cumbria Grand Hotel
Cumbria Grand Hotel
#6 of 10 in Grange-over-Sands
The Glenburn Hotel & Restaurant

Been to The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel? Share your experiences!