“Good Times at the Duke”

Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Barrow-in-Furness
Hamilton, United Kingdom
“Good Times at the Duke”
Reviewed 25 March 2014

We were after a room on the lakes but ever one we fancied was full. Looking a little further afield, I came upon the Duke of Edinburgh in Barrow In Furness. Reviews looked good and for eighty five pounds, we had room 222, executive suite (lovely) in the attic. We insulated (noise) and superb heating, great big bed, easy chairs and sofa, superb bathroom, beautifully finished and an iron that worked with a clean and serviceable ironing board.Only complaints, and they are very minor, final bill had been overcharged, but very courteously and quickly rectified when I raised this with the receptionist and he price of drinks is perhaps a little on the steep side, after all, London it isn't! We ate out as the only tables available for dinner were in the main bar area as the restaurant was fully booked.We ended up back in the bar for a few night caps by the roaring open log fire, great way to finish a good night off. I WOULD RATE THE DUKE OF EDINBURGH 4.5 and we thoroughly recommend it to one and all.
PS: Breakfast was very good too.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are most certainly worth the little extra cost.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
workington
Reviewed 18 March 2014

We booked the Duke of Edinburgh for a one night stay while in Barrow for a Lancashire Hotpots gig. The hotel beat the gig in terms of pleasure! We paid extra for an executive room and wow it was worth it! We had room 222 which seemed to be in the attic but was extremely quaint and very contemporary. The furnishings were lovely and the room huge with a massive bed, a sofa area and a desk area, but the best bit had to be the bathroom....imagine relaxing in a deep tub under a ceiling beam with soft lighting...wonderful. There was a problem with the plug which wouldn't stay put but the staff were right onto it and got it sorted in time. All in all the room was delightful and we could happily have spent much longer there. Breakfast was good - just two tiny criticisms in that the "Cumberland" sausage seemed in our opinion more like supermarket sausage and my eggs benedict was served on circles of white toast when really it should have been on muffins! Otherwise it was very nice. The staff were friendly and helpful, interested in why we were there, etc without being too intrusive. We were given a permit to park for free in the car park over the road which was useful. The bar was very welcoming, a great atmosphere and a roaring fire along with a good selection of popular drinks. We will definitely be back to see more of what Barrow has to offer and will be requesting room 222!

Room Tip: The rooms on the 2nd floor have been updated to a high standard with large flat screen tvs, large be...
1 Thank cumbriangrl
leigh uk
Reviewed 2 March 2014

My girlfriend and i dropped in here in the evening with family for drinks and must say what a nice place this is .The ambiance was good, the beer a good variety and refreshing . lovely log fire which was welcome as it was fair nippy outside .
I noticed the food which kept on coming from the kitchen which looked very good quality indeed
so the next day we came for breakfast and was not disappointed as it was cooked fresh and tasted divine , with good service . and a fair price .we will be visiting here again .we will be staying overnight next time .

1 Thank bexndale
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 February 2014

We're big fans of Lancaster Brewery and the Sun Hotel in Lancaster. Need to do a review of the Sun Hotel, maybe in a week or so. Anyway, we stayed at the Duke in Barrow for two nights over the Valentines Day weekend. Happily I noticed straight away that they had four Lancaster beers on tap so that was me sorted. The wife was happy as the wine list was at least as long as the Suns. Our room was on the top floor, up the slow but very pretty lift and out along the corridor.A standard room, it had loads of space, a nice modern and expensive looking bathroom, good wifi connectivity and very stylishly presented. The LCD tv was showing its age just a smidgeon but perfectly fine. Apparently ours was one of the original rooms when the hotel relaunched 8 years ago, it was in amazing nick considering that. Pretty much appeared brand new, so congrats to the cleaning people. We dined at the Duke on the first night and enjoyed the food a lot. Looked after by two very smart young ladies (actually the staff here are smarter than the more casually dressed Sun). On the saturday we ventured up into the Lakes. Only 15 minutes and youre in the wilds of the mountains.

Great stay, another Lancaster Brewery treasure.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MrParkin
Morpeth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2014 via mobile

This was our first mini break with our son. We found the hotel absolutely great. Clean and spacious room. Travel cot provided which was nice and clean with baby blankets also provided. Great bed and shower. Will definitely be back. Well done DOE :)

Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank YeomanC
Robin Hood's Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Well, this was a surprise. Fantastic hotel, slap bang in the middle of town but in an area that seems to have had a lot of investment recently. Old Emlyn Hughes statue just opposite. Don't know what the problem is with the parking, not many town centre hotels have any parking nowadays and this one is smart and free, about 20 yards from the entrance. Anyway, room was great. Blooming big bed, about 6 foot wide and very nice bathroom indeed. Pub downstairs was a real ale enthusiasts dream and we finished the night having a right good look at their malt whisky selection. I'll be back in a few months and won't bother with anywhere else. Thanks for Barry on the bar for all his help.

Room Tip: I was in room 212 and it was very nice indeed.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Malcolm C
Llandudno, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2014

I paid £115 per night to stay here. At this price in Barrow-in-Furness I think it is reasonable to expect this hotel to do everything right. Unfortunately there were a few issues that, although minor, are not really acceptable in my opinion.

Parking is far from ideal, being across a main road. I realise the hotel is limited in what they can offer for parking, but there was no effort made to minimise this inconvenience. I was not asked if I needed help with luggage and there did not seem to be a trolley or similar I could use if required.

The 'trendy' sink and tap in my room made it difficult to fill the kettle.

I found the décor of my room rather drab (predominantly beige). Obviously this is a matter of preference, but on a winters evening it felt a bit grim.

Breakfast was disappointing. The cooked stuff was made to order, and very nice. But the cold buffet was very basic. If Premier Inn can manage fresh fruit and croissants I think a 'proper' hotel should be able to do the same.

And one quite bizarre experience. I had an evening meal in the restaurant. The menu said that the dish I ordered came with mashed potatoes. I asked if I could swap this for chips but was told by the waitress that customers are not allowed to make substitutions. I have to say I have never had this happen before. OK, so a side order of chips was an extra £2.25, but as a principle I am quite staggered.

In summary, if the price had been more reasonable I would have overlooked the minor issues and given a higher score.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank A B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barrow-in-Furness
The Furness Railway Hotel
#4 of 15 in Kendal
Glen Rothay Hotel
Glen Rothay Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rydal

Been to The Duke of Edinburgh Hotel? Share your experiences!