“Disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Barum Gate
Ranked #114 of 137 Restaurants in Barnstaple
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub, Brew Pub
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups, Kids
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Drinks, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2014

After a year of not visiting Barum Gate we thought we would give it another try to see if it had improved but no change, safe friendly, 30 minute to ordering and getting the food over priced and not that good, tables outside not cleared so seagulls swooping down to take the food after visitors asking for a clean table we saw a young lad taking three trips to clear one table, why are the staff not trained to take a tray !!!

• Visited July 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rosalyn B

Bideford, England, United Kingdom
“Lovely food and good service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2014

I was a bit apprehensive about eating here after seeing the dire reviews on this website but I left very happy. The food was delicious, I had a chicken ceaser salad and it was huge! I had ordered garlic bread as a side not expecting it to be a large portion and I nearly couldn't eat it all. The apple pie with a crumble topping was lovely, especially covered in custard. Our server Lee was great, he was very patient and good-natured with us as several times he came to take our orders we weren't ready as we were too busy talking and catching up. The meal deal of two courses for £9.99 is a real bargain too. I would definitely eat there again.

• Visited July 2014
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Like a trip back to the 1970s”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Conveniently situated but lacking any kind of atmosphere. The service was friendly.but the food is .overpriced and poorly.executed. So many better options within a short distance

Holsworthy, United Kingdom
“EVERYTHING BAD”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2014

I went here with my family to have some food after a day out. Shouldn't have bothered. We ordered food and drinks at the bar and sat down. 30 minutes later we still didn't have any drinks but that was because the bar staff were too busy serving everyone else at the bar instead of making our drinks. We finally got two of the drinks that we ordered but had to wait another 20 minutes to get the coffees. It was approaching an hour and still no food - we decided to leave and I went to the bar to say I was not prepared to wait anymore and wanted a refund. Got my money back just as the food came out (which was just over an hour after ordering) and on seeing the food I was glad we were leaving.
Everything seemed wrong with this place, staff didn't seem to know what was going on and who was doing what. Service was really poor - it wasn't busy so who knows why it would take an hour to get four meals out. Food looked terrible. Complete waste of time and I have no idea how they stay open.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank prowsyboy
Eastbourne, United Kingdom
“Surprised to see negative reviews”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

We ate here on Wednesday 4th June. It was pouring with rain, and it wasn't too busy inside. We were seated quickly, and given our menus, and told who our server would be. Sue arrived not long after, and took our order. It was clear she knew the menu well, and had a friendly approach. I ordered Calamari for a starter, which arrived very promptly. I took a risk, because seafood is often overcooked in restaurants, but I was really pleasantly surprised it was cooked to perfection. The calamari was just right. and I suspect the coating was Panko - Japanese breadcrumbs, which was light, but lovely and crisp. My main course was Salmon with Béarnaise Sauce, and was also very prompt in arriving. I compared it to one I'd had at Marston's in Wadebridge, and it was miles better. The sauce was much better, and the salmon wasn't overcooked. For a sweet, I chose Bramley Apple Crumble with custard, which was described as made to order, and sure enough I didn't get the impression it was pre-prepared (frozen). It even tasted of Bramley apples, and the shortbread crumble was really tasty. (Must remember that one). I think we were in and out within an hour, and our server was attentive, without being intrusive, which is how I like it. For both service and food it was one of the best I've experienced for a while, so I'll try Table Table again to see if they all live up to this one.

• Visited June 2014