“Trendy with a touch of posh.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Claytons and The Glasshouse
Ranked #6 of 137 Restaurants in Barnstaple
Price range: US$8 - US$26
Cuisines: Gastropub, European
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Groups, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Brunch, Drinks, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Trendy with a touch of posh.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2015

Came here with the mrs. for her birthday at lunchtime. The Glasshouse is excellent! As soon as you walk in you get an incredibly trendy vibe with its nice, moody lighting.

Downstairs is a nice, dimly lit area with a fair amount of tables. The bar looks really cool! :]

Upstairs is the proper restaurant area. It feels incredibly spacious and airy thanks to the fact that it pretty much a conservatory so you get a ton of natural light. I can imagine it looks really nice at night. I got the feeling of a touch of "poshness". The staff were very courteous and there is someone on the door at all times to welcome you.

We found the staff to be really professional, they tended to us nice and quickly and got our food to us in a fantastic time!

Food wise, it was a delight! The wife had a fancy version of hunters chicken which she said was gorgeous and I had a burger which tasted like it was an actual steak in there! :] Yum! Even when I was full, I just had to finish it as it was so good!

So to sum up, if you want a nice, classy meal that isn't going to break your bank account (we paid about £30 for two meals, a pepsi and a strawberry dakery (sp?)) then give this place a go! You won't be disappointed!

• Visited February 2015

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
“Lovely Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2015

My partner and I visited here for lunch on New Years Eve 2014. We have eaten upstairs in the restaurant before so we thought we would eat in the bar area this time. We didn't know how big the portion sizes would be, so we decided to order the following:

Rustic Breads with olive oil and balsamic vinegar, aioli, roast garlic and olives to share

Chicken Liver Parfait with a red onion marmalade and toasted ciabatta

Ham and Parsley Terrine with pickled vegetables and a horseradish cream

Lamb Rump served with chive oil mash, carrot puree, fine green beans and a Cumberland sauce

Chicken Breast stuffed with Brie and wrapped in Parma ham. With sauté potatoes, broccoli, carrot ribbons and a creamy mushroom sauce

We didn't need the bread sharer as well as the starters, the sizes of the portions were huge, however we managed to eat all. Then we began our main courses, which again were very generous portions, tasted lovely and most of all were hot.

Our experience was thoroughly lovely , staff attentive and overall good value for money. All washed sown with a bottle of wine.

• Visited December 2014
Cinderford, United Kingdom
“First visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2015 via mobile

This was our first visit,and we called in at lunchtime.There was a very welcoming atmosphere;we chose a table on the side,just slightly elevated,where we had a good view.The bar was quite busy,but our waiter soon brought us a drink,and the menu.The menu was interesting-a selection of things on toast-Welsh rarebit,mushrooms,ham and parsley on toast;a selection of iinteresting fish dishes-mussels,scallops,all well served.By 1pm the bar was very busy,and quite noisy,but very enjoyable.There was a very good selection of seating,from normal,high chairs and tables,easy chairs and sofas with low tables.A very good fond;we will visit again.

Visited February 2015
Leicester, United Kingdom
“A perfect meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2015 via mobile

This is the second time I've been here, and once again had an excellent meal. This time, I went the whole hog and had three courses. Barnstaple is not in itself a major tourist town, so it's all the more delightful to find a restaurant of this calibre, especially at such a reasonable price.

I had the scallops as a starter, three perfectly cooked scallops, tender, flavoursome and delicious, on a potato fondant (cooked just right) on a bed of crushed petits pois with a hint of lemon. Sublime.

For main I had moules frites, local mussels cooked perfectly again in a rich cream sauce.

Technically, I was now too stuffed for a dessert, but that didn't deter me. I had the dark chocolate brownie with white chocolate and Malteser ice cream. Again, just wonderful.

The presentation was lovely, the service friendly and attentive without being pushy, and all in all a Michelin starred experience at a small town price.

Bristol
“Quick and superb food served by very nice staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2015

Many positive reviews suggested I give this a go. The choice of starters and/or main courses suited my needs and the whitebait at £6 was very nice. The homemade steak burger that followed (£11) was fantastic and too filling! Fish courses are available as is a rump steak at £21 (which may be good value if the burger is anything to go by. A nice range of locally brewed beer was stocked and the bar staff and waiters were attentive and very hospitable. On the whole impressive.

• Visited January 2015