“ideally situation to explore exmoor”

Royal & Fortescue Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
London, United Kingdom
“ideally situation to explore exmoor”
Reviewed 8 October 2013

on arrival staff seem very friendly, we had a room on the ground floor called the mews, the room was nice but there was abit of noise as it was close to the stores and kitchen, but all the same warm and cosy, in the room the heating is great and there are a lot of electrical sockets which I was surprised as some hotels have only two in the room,what I liked most was the closeness to the coach station if arriving by coach, so not too far to drag your suitcases ! there was abit of shouting at night by drunken revellers, but from the room we had (the mews) it didn't sound too much, all in all I would recommend this hotel as a base to explore the Exmoor country side.

Room Tip: ask for one of the mews rooms , great for disabled people as there are ramps to the entrance of the...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple

2 Thank david s

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Winchcombe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Unfortunately had to move out of the superior room I had booked (big reason for booking this hotel) due to a blocked toilet that couldn't be fixed. This was discovered within 15 minutes so should have been noticed by cleaning staff. The alternative room I was offered was much smaller, with a small shower-room. I get more water coming out of my watering can than the shower head and the water didn't drain away very well. Another blockage to come? Also the sink mixer tap only seemed to dispense hot or warm water. Sound proofing not very good, could hear outside noise - surprising as triple glazed, plus conversations from next room. Parking not great and prepare to be blocked in. You need to let the staff know when you're leaving.
Having said all the above the staff were very friendly, the bed was comfy and the breakfast was great.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BrendHotels, General Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased you enjoyed breakfast here and found the staff very friendly. I am sorry to hear about the problems you had with your room. Since your review was posted we are now refurbishing this room and are fitting a new bathroom to make sure this doesnt happen again. With regards to the second room i can only apologise for the issues you received with the shower. I hope this will not deter you from wanting to stay with us again and i hope i can welcome you back in the near future.
None
Reviewed 7 October 2013

You'll have a warm welcome and enjoy good meals. The bonus of being right in the centre of town by day is offset at night by drunken yoofs yelling at each other as they spill out of the open-late pubs.

Room Tip: ask for a room not facing the High St
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business

Leicester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2013

Didn't see any pool or fitness centre so I couldn't comment on it. Everyhting else is spot on!! The service is always very friendly and the location for any town center activities is perfect. The restaraunts are nice but the hotel does provide an amazing range of food that will be brought to your room!

Room Tip: Doubles are generally a good enough size for a comfortable sleep
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you enjoyed your stay here with us and found the staff were very friendly. I am also pleased to hear that you liked the food and you feel that we offer a wide selection. I understand you did not have time to visit the pool or gym at our sister hotel but i do hope if you come back in the future you will be able to try this too. I look forward to welcoming you back
birmingham uk
Reviewed 27 September 2013

This was my first experience of staying in a hotel by myself and I certainly made the right choice. I found the staff to be welcoming, friendly and helpful, and this helped make my mini-break very enjoyable at a difficult time. After reading dreadful reports about single rooms, it was with some trepidation that I turned the key in my room on the third floor. What a pleasant surprise. My room was spacious, tastefully decorated and spotlessly clean, as was the bathroom. The location is ideal, particularly for someone without a car as the bus station is very close. I will certainly stay at the Royal and Fortescue if I am in Barnstaple again.

Room Tip: My room on the third floor was quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kay m
Boston, MA
Reviewed 23 September 2013

During a golf trek in southwest England, this hotel was recommended.

It is a slightly tired but still proud grande dame of a property. Located in a bit of a gritty block and without much parking, the place resonates of older glory days past.

That being noted, the rooms were clean and neat and the staff was eager to help. Their good training was evident. The dining rooms and bar were comfortable. Breakfast was well done.

We aren't sure what alternatives there might be in Barnstaple but considering its age and location, this hotel was just fine.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Thankyou for taking the time to review our hotel, i am pleased to hear that you found the rooms clean and tidy and were impressed by the service given by the staff. I am sorry to hear that you were not so keen on the location of the hotel. Our parking is limited as we are in the town centre however we do try to make sure all our guests are able to park. I hope this will not deter you from wanting to stay with us again and i hope we can welcome you back
Reviewed 22 September 2013

Had a surprise golden wedding anniversary booked with several members of the party staying overnight. Manager and staff were extremely helpful, attentive and welcoming. Excellent service. Food was marvellous. Very clean..

• Stayed September 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
The Imperial Hotel
Saunton Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Braunton
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel

Been to Royal & Fortescue Hotel? Share your experiences!