“Welcoming”

Royal & Fortescue Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Reviewed 26 March 2014

A good hotel central to the town with some parking available. The staff are friendly, efficient and eager to help and our room was clean and comfortable. Unfortunately the shower could only be used as a hand held device as it was low down the wall, so had a bath. We had a cooked breakfast which was good. Overall I would recommend a stay at this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you found our staff friendly and efficient, as customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves upon, as is cleanliness so again I'm gratified that you found your rooms clean and comfortable. I'm sorry that the shower was so low, I will pass your comments onto our maintenance team and hope the problem can be rectified. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Fortescue in the near future.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

we stayed at the hotel royal fortescue Barnstaple on January the 8th 2014 it was extremely good lovely accommodation extremely helpful ;staff lovely cooked breakfast which ih was served by a waitress. Everyone was so nice the hotel was so clean I could not fault the hotel in any way.

Room Tip: not near the high st
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2014

lovely hotel professional and very friendly staff food good we will return was noisy Saturday night but given the location it was expected rooms very comfortable and clean décor reasonable very good value for money

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Welcomed by the very efficient staff on reception and directed to a spotlessly clean and comfortable room. We thought it could be noisy due to the number of people in the town on a Saturday night, but heard nothing once in our room. Thoroughly nice hotel and staff. Will stay again.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 16 February 2014

We stayed only one night, a Saturday night. The hotel was full with 2 birthday parties, that made us think it was going to be noisy, quite the contrary. The room was well furnished, well maintained and very clean. The ensuite bathroom was spotless.
We had lunch in the Bank Bistro, and the food was absolutely gorgeous!! We highly recommend it.
The breakfast was beautifully presented and the food to a high standard.
The one minor criticism is the lack of parking spaces, but the staff were very helpful and will do all they can to make space.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Maria E
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed eating both in the bistro and your breakfast. I am also glad that you found your bedroom to be of a high standard, as housekeeping is something that we pride ourselves on, as is the maintenance and decor of our rooms. I understand that in common with many town centre hotels, parking can be an issue, but we always aim to be able to park cars, either in the hotel car park, or in our lock up garage. Again, thank you for reviewing our hotel.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

I found the royal and fortescue a very relaxing place to stay with a very good and professional team of staff, my only critism is that waiting staff should serve ladies first whilst dining.
Rooms are very well equipped with modern decor and comfortable beds.

• Stayed: February 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay here and I will pass your comments on to the staff as positive feedback is always appreciated. I hope to welcome you back to the Fortescue in the near future.

Reviewed 10 February 2014

been to this lovely hotel many times returned early January myself ,wife and daughter hotel was very quiet,but was its usual clean, warm and charming hotel on the Saturday night there was a party in the main restaurant so those staying at the hotel the evening meal was served in the Italian restaurant which was a bit disappointing,a few of the regular staff were still working at the hotel who gave us a good welcome once more,the room we had on the second floor was spoilt by the bathroom which I did not complain about at the time, so I wont complain now all in all wehad a good stay although there was something missing this time,

Room Tip: the rooms at the front do get noisey at the weekends but you do get a good view of the night life,av...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Firstly thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad that we could show you a warm welcome and that you found that the hotel was still its charming self. I'm sorry to hear that there was a problem with your bathroom, and regret that we could not have done anything about it during your stay. I hope to welcome you to the Royal and Fortescue again in the near future, when I hope we can be up to the standard of your previous visits.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Park Hotel
Saunton Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Braunton
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel

Been to Royal & Fortescue Hotel? Share your experiences!