“Good, but atmosphere bit of a low”

Royal & Fortescue Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Verwood, United Kingdom
“Good, but atmosphere bit of a low”
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here along with my dad and mum. The breakfast was okay, but the atmosphere amongst the hotel wasn't the best.
The Barnstaple hotel isn't in the town centre but has a much nicer atmosphere.

One evening, I went down to the bank restaurant with my dad, the BBQ ribs for starters were lush! My dad wanted muscles for main, but they had run out, this is a positive; they get muscles delivered fresh each day and once there gone there gone (lots of places use frozen muscles)

The fajitas I had we gorgeous, so lovely and tender!

They made a mistake on my dad's food, but this was seen to immediately and was quickly dealt with.

A lovely meal!

The rooms were lovely

Stayed June 2014
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this review, 11 June 2014
Thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your dinner in 62 the Bank, I will pass your comments on to the Bank Manager. I am glad you found our rooms lovely, but I am sorry to hear the atmosphere in the Hotel was a little flat. We are generally known for our friendly ambience, and so I hope we can welcome you back in the near future when I hope you see the hotel at its most vibrant.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Leominster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was very impressed with this hotel - from the email the day before booking in, for the lovely welcome, the beautiful room and comfy bed and for the superb staff who made sure my stay was outstanding

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

4 Thank Fmwoody
Bristol
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights to attend a concert at the local theatre,
I cannot fault them in any way at all.
THe customer service was second to none and the food was excellent although the portions were enormous !!.
We had a great time and would stay here again if we were in Barnstaple.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Wicked81
birmingham uk
Reviewed 25 May 2014

I revisited the Royal and Fortescue last week and was not disappointed. It was a last minute booking and my room in the Mews - 401 - was excellent. I was disappointed not to have my camera with me to show off my 'cottage' to family and friends. The exterior with its bay window was cute and the quality of the room certainly didn't disappoint. Once again, my thanks to the excellent staff for their friendliness and kindness to me. I am sure I will be returning in the future.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
5 Thank Kay m
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It is always nice to welcome guests back to the hotel and as we have recently put a lot of time into updating the ground floor mews rooms I am very happy to hear that you liked the room. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Royal and Fortescue in the near future.
Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 May 2014

the Royal and Fortescue did not disappoint - we had a lovely room at the back of the hotel away from the nightlife noise. The staff were so accommodating nothing was too much trouble. you can really tell that the hotel is family run and the staff have a mandate to make decisions.
the Food was wonderful great choice and friendly staff and chef who was obviously proud of his cooking.
We stayed Dinner bed and breakfast and we definitely made the right choice and it was good value for money.
My only suggestion would be 2 packets of biscuits as we argued over the last one and a variety of teas.

thank you everyone that made our stay one of the best.

Room Tip: if you want a quiet room ask for one and they will get you one. If you need an accessible one also a...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Tony H
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this review, 10 May 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay, and that you found the staff to be friendly and helpful, and the food good. Should you visit again we will happily extend the choice of biscuits so as to avoid arguments! I hope to welcome you back in the near future.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2014

I know the title of my review looks as if I have stayed with someone else's hotel group but the first contact was with your staff was your receptionist. Helpful, friendly, kind, and very efficient was the only way I can describe this young ladies way of welcoming us into the Royal and Fortescue hotel experience. The room we had was excellent, spotlessly clean and comfortable [The beds are great.]. The breakfast was good and the evening dinner even better. Although we only stayed for 2 nights I availed myself of one of your brochures and intend if possible to visit all the other hotels in your group. this may take a while but as a pensioner it is something to achieve before I shrug off this mortal coil. thank you once again for a wonderful stay. Tony M.

Room Tip: Explain to the receptionist exactly what you are after
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very happy to hear your comments regarding the welcome you received from the reception staff, I have passed your comments onto our head receptionist to share with her team. I hope you enjoy sampling all of the hotels in our group, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed at this hotel for six nights, a coach party of 43, and we only found one thing to complain about, and that it could badly do with air con in the front bedrooms instead of them fans that they are putting in the rooms, as they keep you awake all night with the noise as you are unable to open any windows, and we all found the bedrooms very hot for sleeping.
Other than that every thing was excellent wonderful food, wonderful staff.
Philip

Room Tip: don't have a front room as you cannot open the windows, and the rooms are very hot at night.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry that you found that the rooms were to warm. The rooms in the hotel that face onto the street are fitted with triple glazing in order to reduce noise, but these rooms also contain air cooling units to compensate. I am glad to hear that you found both the staff and food to be of a high standard, and I hope to welcome your group back here soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
The Imperial Hotel
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bideford

Been to Royal & Fortescue Hotel? Share your experiences!