“The best work week away!”

Royal & Fortescue Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Staying away on business is a real bore, especially on a budget, you are never quite sure if your booking will pay off, however, I'm delighted to say, I got it right this time! The Royal and Fortescue has made this week a pleasure to be away from home! The staff are wonderful! Greeted by the smiley receptionist, helped by the porters with parking, especially after returning from a late shift, they were more than happy to help find me a parking space! Exchanged morning pleasantries with the chambermaid, waiting staff are very polite and attentive, and the barman was lovely and even remembered my drink, from the night before! Everyone looks happy to work here which is always a good sign! The food is wonderful, having 3 restaurants, there's no chance of getting bored with the same menu and the room service menu is more than adequate. The room is clean and well presented and surprisingly comfortable for a twin! The location is brilliant with good access to all the wonderful shops, and Barnstaple has a few! The lady who works in the toy shop opposite is lovely! If you fancy a treat, the nail bar opposite is good to, ask for Terri, she works Tuesdays and does a fab pedicure! The Sister hotel has leisure facilities, which I didn't get time to test out, but did nip over for a massage with Suzi, well worth it! She's a great therapist! The lounge area is extremely comfortable and I was pleased to watch the sport season on the tv in the corner (on quietly as not to disturb!). All in all ive had a great stay and look forward to coming back again! Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank WH1TEY81
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was very happy to read your positive feedback, especially those regarding the friendliness of the staff, I will pass the comments on. I'm glad to hear that we made your working week more pleasurable and I hope we can welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

for £85 a night this was pretty poor. Small towels, a small room with a large bathroom, a de humidifier which has a fan to
keep the room cool, Evan though they have their own car park it is severely lacking in size. a TV signal that kept cutting out but the worst is the cleanliness of the room. the first night I found 2 clumps of hair with associated dirt I put one clump in the bin and left the 2nd where it was, I asked reception to please ensure that my room was hoovered and explained I had found clumps of other peoples hair. when I returned the clump of hair was still there along with other mess that had been there before my stay. Needless to say I will not be using the chain of hotels again, appalling

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Roamingronnir
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

I am very sorry to have read your recent review of our Hotel. We take the cleanliness of our rooms very seriously and as you can see from previous reviews, we usually get it right. On this occasion however, we have obviously failed to do so and for this I can only apologise unreservedly.
I can assure you that this issue will be fully dealt with, within the hotel and should you ever stay with us again standards will be as high as one would expect at any of the hotels in our group.
I would also like to say that as a group we are known for our very high standards of housekeeping and cleanliness which is reflected in the comments on Tripadvisor and also through the hotel inspection schemes with whom we engage.
Once again may I apologise unreservedly for falling short of the high standards we would both expect to attain.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Arrived fairly late for one night stay on Saturday evening. Very busy hotel and obviously very popular for local events. Staff were very helpful and manager carried my case to my room as I suffer from arthritis, although they did have a lift there were still a couple of steps I had to climb.
Parking was a problem, being so busy but staff opened a garage area for us to park in. Breakfast was very organised, as they had a coach party staying as well as our cricket team. Room is adequate and I had a good nights sleep. Hotel appears to be in the centre of town and is well worth a visit once you have been able to find the car park.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank lesleyj_morgan

Firstly thank you for taking the time to review our hotel.
I'm glad you found the staff helpful, and that you had a good nights sleep! I understand your parking concerns, but as you found we are lucky to have both our car-park and the lock up garage, and are always happy help our customers find somewhere to park.
Perhaps next time you could organise a longer cricket tour and stay with us a little longer!!

Reviewed 14 June 2014

I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions for many occasions and they have never fail. To make you welcome in every way. Like one big happy family but in a very professional way The food staff and my room where wonderful I put some photos of my room for you all to enjoy as I did

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Irene S

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel, and thank you for taking some great pictures!
Its always nice to hear such positive feedback and I will certainly pass your comments onto the general manager to relay to the rest of the team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Fortescue in the near future.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

We've just arrived home from our fourth short break at the Royal and Fortescue,The hotel is in the centre of Barnstaple with essential car parking.The staff are friendly and welcoming.Nothing is too much trouble,We had a premier double that had very recently been renovated.It was super.The food-well we've come home to diet! We always book dinner bed and breakfast as it's such good value.The breakfast should be called brunch,as you have no room left until dinner.Dinner consists of 3 courses plus tea or coffee.The menu is varied and my gluten free diet is well catered for..Barnstaple itself is an excellent central stay if you wish to explore North Devon.I've been holidaying in Barnstaple since I was very small and will never get tired of it and its surrounding beaches and countryside.Looking forawrd to returning to Barnstaple and staying in the Royal and Fortescue Hotel very soon.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jayne b
Reviewed 3 June 2014 via mobile

I stayed here along with my dad and mum. The breakfast was okay, but the atmosphere amongst the hotel wasn't the best.
The Barnstaple hotel isn't in the town centre but has a much nicer atmosphere.

One evening, I went down to the bank restaurant with my dad, the BBQ ribs for starters were lush! My dad wanted muscles for main, but they had run out, this is a positive; they get muscles delivered fresh each day and once there gone there gone (lots of places use frozen muscles)

The fajitas I had we gorgeous, so lovely and tender!

They made a mistake on my dad's food, but this was seen to immediately and was quickly dealt with.

A lovely meal!

The rooms were lovely

Stayed: June 2014
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2014

Thank you very much for posting a review of our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your dinner in 62 the Bank, I will pass your comments on to the Bank Manager. I am glad you found our rooms lovely, but I am sorry to hear the atmosphere in the Hotel was a little flat. We are generally known for our friendly ambience, and so I hope we can welcome you back in the near future when I hope you see the hotel at its most vibrant.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

I was very impressed with this hotel - from the email the day before booking in, for the lovely welcome, the beautiful room and comfy bed and for the superb staff who made sure my stay was outstanding

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
4  Thank Fmwoody
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Barnstaple Hotel
Saunton Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Braunton
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel

Been to Royal & Fortescue Hotel? Share your experiences!