“We will go back - highly recommend”

Royal & Fortescue Hotel
Ranked #5 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hotel staff were friendly & attentive - the location was excellent and food was too.

We are already planning our return!

Car park a little tight & not easy to find - restaurants were clean, tidy and staffed to ensure you did not have to wait for food - breakfast service in particular was professional.

Room Tip: Our room was excellent, it was a little warm - but once we told the Manager this, he arranged to hav...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian M
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much that you are already planning to return. I look forward to welcoming you back when you do so!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Lovely hotel, very clean enjoyed our stay. But we had room 106, never again Saturday night very bad, Drunks in the lane until 4am. shouting and screaming. But you are not to blame, I wish you could have this Pub/Nightclub closed down.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, but am sorry to hear your stay was marred by the noise outside. Although as you say we're not to blame, we have done all we can to minimise the noise, such as triple glazing windows, and installing air coolers, but the central location of the hotel will always mean there will be some town centre noise. I hope this hasn't put you off returning and I hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

A group of friends have just stayed overnight at this hotel , we got there late and found all the restaurants closing, one of the male staff telephoned to find a take away open and we had one delivered to the hotel who let us eat in their restaurant .Excellent service and staff well done all !

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad to hear that the staff on duty were able to sort out some food for you and your party. Customer service is one of the things we pride ourselves on, and so I was happy to read your comments. I hope that we are able to welcome you back at some point in the near future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Checkin was efficient and so was checkout. We were booked into room 111 (DS) and room 105 (DM) as expected. It was a very hot day and night. We found room 105 though smaller was airconditioned while room 111 which was larger and had a fan was for us not the better option. Both rooms were well appointed. We required a fridge in our room and this was very promptly addressed. Mikey, Jason and Luke clearly enjoy their jobs. Their service was superb. They are a credit to their employer. We did not meet the hotel manager but our request for his consideration to be flexible with us was met with great ease. We enjoyed our breakfast, particularly our porridge also the brownie and the meal the previous evening in Bank 62, next door. We did not drive but it is possible to be blocked in as were our colleagues but this was soon remedied. It is people who make the difference and the difference was certainly made during our one night stay in this venue.

Room Tip: It was in the end a choice between the noise from outside or the noise from the air conditioning. A...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us, I'm glad also that you found the level of service so good, for as you say, it is the staff that can make a hotel. I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 30 July 2014

This has to be one of our favourites and one of the excellent Brend hotel group.
The staff have been there for a number of years which shows a good hotel, it has lots of atmosphere and a variety of in house places to eat,
1st class service ,excellent food and drink and rooms are very clean and comfortable .is in town and has own parking ,what a bonus.
Its an ideal place to stay for touring N.Devon and Exmoor.
The Brend group offers are great for us retired folk and attention to detail through out the hotel is to be commended,all in all another great break .Thank you .Liz and Charles Gray .Winchester Hampshire.

Room Tip: All rooms are accesable as a lift in hotel also ground floor rooms available
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charles G

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad that you appreciate our attention to detail, and it's always a pleasure to welcome returning guests, which I hope we are able to do again soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

Stayed just the one night on a business trip.

Excellent location in the town centre with secure parking at the rear of the hotel, although be careful you don't get blocked in. It was one of the hottest days of the year in Devon so I was glad that my room had air conditioning, made for a comfortable stay and a good night's sleep.

I ate out in the evening so I cannot comment on the quality of the 3? restaurants that they have.

Breakfast was ok although I would have preferred a few more cereal and fruit choices as I don't normally have the cooked breakfast. The service however was prompt and the staff were very friendly.

Wi-fi in the room also worked very well (BT open zone, password required).

Hotel tea room got very busy mid morning, they do very good looking cakes!

I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank rowen10
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Have stayed at the Royal And Fortescue on many occasion, Have many friends that live in the area and found the central location is just perfect. The staff is A-One, even getting flowers and candy that last time we were their, because my girlfriend missed Valentines day because we in the air coming over. Lots of shopping and places to eat along the High Street. Will be returning, in just a few days, looking forward to it...

Room Tip: Anywhere away from the alley, especially on weekends..
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Robert A
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Barnstaple Hotel
Saunton Sands Hotel
Saunton Sands Hotel
#1 of 4 in Braunton
Travelodge Barnstaple Hotel

Been to Royal & Fortescue Hotel? Share your experiences!