“Great Weekend Break”

Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
“Great Weekend Break”
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I spent 3 nights at this hotel in August 2014 with my partner.

Located in the centre of Barnstaple there are plenty of shops and restaurants nearby. The hotel has private parking and the bus station is a 5 minute walk.

The rooms are a good size, spotless and well presented. Highlights include tea and coffee making facilities, remote control air-con, a very high pressure shower & a complimentary newspaper. The maids were very polite and helpful. Due to the hotels location there is a little bit of noise from pubs and clubs nearby, however if you ask for a room located at the back/in the middle of the hotel, this really is minimal.

We ate in the restaurant twice during our stay. I wasn't very impressed with the breakfast, the continental option has limited variety and the full english option is very poor value for money. I would advise eating breakfast somewhere else on the high-street as there are plenty of cafés, pubs and bakeries. In contrast, we had a Carvery on the Sunday evening and the food and service were both excellent.

Reception staff were very knowledgeable about not only hotel facilities, but the local area too. They were extremely helpful when my partner locked our keys in our room (twice!) and also when we were struggling to find a parking space - they opened up the hotels private garage.

Overall, a great weekend break. I would recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms in the middle/at the back of the hotel are quieter.
2 Thank SunnySands22
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear your positive comments regarding your room, and the helpfulness of the staff! I'm sorry to hear that you found that the breakfast was poor value, but am glad that you enjoyed you dinner on the Sunday night. Its nice to hear that you would recommend the hotel, and I hope to be able to welcome you back in the near future!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Reviewed 23 August 2014

The hotel is very near to the bus station and also has a lot of parking. In the centre of Barnstaple, it is the ideal place to stay if you want to roam around the shops, have something to eat or visit a few pub. Staff were very friendly and helpful, rooms clean and well presented.

1 Thank cdarragh01
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was glad to read your positive comments regarding the hotel. I'm glad that you found the rooms to be clean and well presented, and that the location of the hotel suited your needs. I hope to be able to welcome you back to the Fortescue in the near future.
Wellington
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Just arrived home from a two night stay at the Royal. Excellent hotel in the heart of Barnstaple. Lovely spacious room overlooking the town, very friendly and helpful staff, and benefits from free parking. We will certainly be returning later in the year.

1 Thank Gavin H
Thank you for taking the time to post a review of our hotel. I was happy to read your positive comments, regarding the hotel and staff, and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner stayed here for a couple nights and everything was ok, the staff were very friendly and we had no complaints but just found our room to be very dated and old fashioned (which I guess is in keeping with the whole hotel). The bed was way too soft for me and the shower wasn't brilliant. But on the whole I would say this hotel was pretty good value. It's got a great location right in the town centre and plenty of resident parking. I'd recommend this hotel as long as you can get a good deal.

Stayed August 2014
2 Thank John M
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I'm glad to hear that you found the staff friendly, and that the location of the hotel was good for you. Whist as you acknowledge, the hotel is a traditional hotel, we are undergoing a programme of room refurbishment and modernisation, therefore I hope that should you stay again we would be able to show you the improvements we have been making. Again thank you for reviewing our hotel.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This hotel is a right little gem. It is placed in the middle of Barnstaple town with access to all the good restaurants, shops and river.

Firstly the service is impeccable, I really noticed that the staff appreciate their customers and nothing is too much hassle. I had an incident with a towel that wasn't fully clean, but they replaced it immediately and apologised immensely.

We had a nice room on the 1st floor, unfortunately it was backing onto the alleyway - if can ask for a specific room, I would suggest asking not to be at the front of the hotel or on the side where the alleyway is, especially if you're staying over the weekend. The local youngsters seemed to like to tell everyone at 2am that they were "not drunk"... continuously! Barnstaple certainly comes alive at the weekend.

The location is outstanding. It's a little difficult to find the parking, but we got there in the end. Probably must to ask the hotel in advance. There are many lovely restaurants near by and Lilico's is a great bar, which is a stone's throw away.

Everything was generally clean, staff were friendly and location is great. What more could you ask for?? Do note however that this is more of an elder person's hotel, we're in our late 20's and we were one of the youngest there!

Room Tip: Don't get a room near alleyway or front of the hotel!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank teacakeblogger
BrendHotels, Manager at Royal & Fortescue Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I was happy to hear your positive comments about the hotel, especially with regards to the service you received. As you found during your stay the location is both a plus, being so close to all the town has to offer, and a minus, the night time noise. I hope that we are able to welcome you back at some point in the near future.
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Hotel staff were friendly & attentive - the location was excellent and food was too.

We are already planning our return!

Car park a little tight & not easy to find - restaurants were clean, tidy and staffed to ensure you did not have to wait for food - breakfast service in particular was professional.

Room Tip: Our room was excellent, it was a little warm - but once we told the Manager this, he arranged to hav...
1 Thank Brian M
Thank you very much for taking the time to review our hotel, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much that you are already planning to return. I look forward to welcoming you back when you do so!
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Lovely hotel, very clean enjoyed our stay. But we had room 106, never again Saturday night very bad, Drunks in the lane until 4am. shouting and screaming. But you are not to blame, I wish you could have this Pub/Nightclub closed down.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the hotel, but am sorry to hear your stay was marred by the noise outside. Although as you say we're not to blame, we have done all we can to minimise the noise, such as triple glazing windows, and installing air coolers, but the central location of the hotel will always mean there will be some town centre noise. I hope this hasn't put you off returning and I hope to be able to welcome you back again in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
The Imperial Hotel
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,739 reviews
The Royal Hotel
The Royal Hotel
#2 of 11 in Bideford

Been to Royal & Fortescue Hotel? Share your experiences!