“Best in Barnstaple”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
“Best in Barnstaple”
Reviewed 6 March 2014

A fine example of traditional West Country hospitality. The Imperial enjoys the ideal location, with views of the river. Guests are made welcome from the time of arrival. Breakfast is splendid. WiFi was speedy and free. Parking is ample. The town centre is a short walk away.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BrendHotels, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review of The Imperial Hotel following your recent stay with us.

I am most glad that you felt the staff were 'friendly and efficient' and that our food was to a high standard.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (515)
United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 March 2014

A most enjoyable weekend in a very good 4 star hotel. I was initially booked into a twin room as single occupancy, paid a little bit more, but the room was excellent. As this is an old building and the wet weather has not been very kind, there was a musty smell in the bathroom but opening the window on the 1st latch solved the problem. All the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. If they hadn't got what you asked for it was provided very quickley. A large hotel carpark at the rear of the building off the lane as well as the spaces to the front. I stayed on for a couple of extra nights, booked on line for a single room and moved on the sunday, again an excellent room. I could not fault the food or the service in the restaurant or the bistro. I would like to thank all the staff for a most enjoyeble stay and will recommend to anyone who wants a relaxing upmarket place to stay. Gents don't forget a shirt and tie as the restaurant is formal after 6.30pm. I hope we all return in a couple of years time

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your review of The Imperial Hotel and for scoring us to highly. It is so pleasing that you chose to spend your Reunion Weekend with us and I am glad that your stay was most enjoyable.

Your comments regarding our hard working staff members across all departments are lovely to read, and be assured these will be passed on to them via our 'review board' located in our staff room.

It is also great to read that you enjoyed your dining experience with us here at The Imperial; this is something we pride ourselves so comments such as these are very much appreciated, particularly by our team of chefs.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back once more in the not too distant future.
newport,wales
Reviewed 4 March 2014

We only stayed one night,but everything was excellent.the room and en-suite were spotless.We were warmly greeted by the receptionist who was very helpful.The hotel is classic in design,and feels more luxurious than many chain hotels,would highly recommend it for a quiet relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: We were at the back of the hotel and there is some road noise in the morning
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have stayed here a number of times in the past and this visit was just as good as ever. The really great thing about this hotel is the quality of the staff. They always greet you as a friend and make you feel really welcome. Close behind is the quality of the food and as usual I put on several pounds! The rooms are fine, the location really pleasant and I left feeling that I had had a good break.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo

Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I organised our reunion this year. I was very impressed with the way my enquiry was handled from the very start. Although I was not actually staying in the Hotel ( I live locally) I was shown the rooms, which have recently been beautifully refurbished, some with views over the river Taw. I was kept up to date with the bookings and week before the weekend, had a meeting with Martin Feldgate the General Manager to finalise the details. My comrades began arriving on Thursday onwards. I joined them for dinner in the restaurant on the Friday night, and was greeted with nothing but praise for the staff, the rooms, and the food. Nothing was too much trouble, and all the staff were helpful, and could not do enough for you. The main dinner was on the Saturday night. We had a private room which was suitably decorated, and the service and the meal were superb. All I can say is a very big thank you to Martin and his staff for making my job so easy. It was a delight.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Terri158
BrendHotels, Martin Felgate, GM at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for your review following your Provost Reunion Weekend here at The Imperial Hotel.

I am so pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and found all aspects 'first class'.

Of all your welcoming feedback, the praise put on our hard working staff is most pleasing to read and I will be sure to place this on our 'review board' for all to see.

On a lighter note, I forgive you for spelling my surname wrong this once, but may not be so foregiving should you return for another Reunion Weekend :-)

Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 March 2014

Every aspect of our stay here was perfect. Our room was clean, comfortable and luxurious. All the staff were polite, and couldn't have been more courteous, helpful and friendly. Our dining experience was also excellent with a delicious four-course evening menu and a range of breakfast choices. We wanted to be spoiled and relaxed for a three day/night break and that's just what we got. This is not a 'buzzing' place for the active young seeking sport & leisure facilities but they were available nearby if needed. It IS the perfect venue for a relaxing, quality hotel experience which is close to the town and a good centre for exploring Devon. We have previously stayed at The Belmont (another Brend Hotel) and our stay here certainly matched it. We would stay again and definitely recommend to others. Thank you!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a superior room at the front of the hotel with a view of the river. Lovely.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Caversham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 March 2014

We stayed for 3 nights as a treat for my wife's birthday and a treat it was. If you are looking for excitement or leisure facilities, which we weren't, this is not the hotel for you. If, however, you are looking for a relaxing, comfortable and enjoyable time it most certainly is. Even the standard room we had was more than adequate in size with a large bed and a recently appointed well equipped bathroom. Staff were welcoming, pleasant, friendly and efficient. Both breakfast, served to your table, and dinner offered a wide choice and excellent quality in extremely pleasant surroundings. The public areas of the hotel are comfortable and beautifully appointed with attentive staff available at all times. We enjoyed our stay so much we have just booked another short break in April.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to review The Imperial Hotel, Barnstaple.

It is most pleasing to read that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with and that you would recommend us to other travellers.

Your review will be placed on our review board for our hard working team to read.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back again when you return in April
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Barnstaple Hotel
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel
Watersmeet Hotel
Watersmeet Hotel
#1 of 4 in Woolacombe

Been to The Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!