“A hotel that gives traditional good service.”
Review of The Imperial Hotel

The Imperial Hotel
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Reviewed 9 March 2014

The staff at the Imperial are very helpfull and make you feel welcome. The restaurant runs like clockwork and delivers good food with an accent on local produce. Our room at the back of the hotel (218) had recently been redecorated in a modern but elegant style. The room was quiet and had distant views,over the roof tops, of the hills around Barnstaple. We have visited many times and would, and do, recommend the hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: All rooms are clean and comfortable although they are all individual in size and layout. You pay ex...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
BrendHotels, Martin Felgate GM at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for your recent review and for scoring us so highly.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us once again and that you found the service of our staff to be of a very high standard; that is something we strive for!.

I am most pleased that you found the hotels location ‘perfect’ for visiting the local shops and your recently refurbished room with distant rural views spotlessly clean.

As you have mentioned, our refurbishment programme is on-going and after completing 6 bedrooms last autumn we are now refurbishing a few more ready for spring.

It is also great to read that you enjoyed your dining experience with us here at The Imperial; this is something we pride ourselves so comments such as these are very much appreciated, particularly by our team of chefs.

Your comments regarding our hard working staff members across all departments are lovely to read, and be assured these will be passed on to them via our 'review board' located in our staff room.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back in April and again in August!!.

There are newer reviews for The Imperial Hotel

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Excellent hotel - great staff, friendly and efficient service, - made to feel welcome as soon as you arrive - superb food and dining facilities - splendid rooms - comfortable lounges - we've been visiting for over ten years and always look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Michael O
BrendHotels, Martin Felgate, GM at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Many thanks for your glowing review of The Imperial Hotel following your recent stay with us.

Your repeat visits to both The Imperial and other of our hotels are gratefully appreciated and I am so glad that you find your time with us comfortable & relaxing.

Your comments regarding our food quality & staff are great to hear, and be assured they will be passed on both through our Heads of Department meetings & review board.

We look forward to seeing you both again very very soon.

Reviewed 7 March 2014

Forget about the rest, The Imperial Hotel is without a doubt, the VERY best.
From the moment on my arrival at the front entrance I was greeted with a cheerful ''good afternoon sir, may I help you with your suitecase''. I knew straight away that this was going to be a very pleasureable experience, and I was not wrong.
Let us start with the ambience, it is very pleasing on the eye, classic and comfortable with that feeling and touch of luxury.
I had a single room (202) that had been refurbished, it was stunning and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was an absolute knockout! The bed was extremely comfortable, I slept like a log. The view was of the clock tower and the river Taw.
Having attended a family bereavement, I spent three days relaxing and enjoying the comforts of this fine hotel. The staff were all fantastic, always there should you need them, without hovering over your shoulder. I only wish that my stay here could have been longer, I never did get to dine in the Arlington restaurant or the Bistro (for the Arlington, dress is formal gentlemen), I will remedy that on my next visit.
Still, all was not lost; I spent most of my time in the Colours bar. How very nice, a good selection of drinks and food. During my time in the Colours bar, I was looked after by Jamie, Adam, and Tracey, it was as if I had known them for years (my thanks to you all), whilst enjoying my Smoked Salmon and Beef sandwiches, washed down by draught Worthing and large Barcdi and Cokes, pure luxury, excellent. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and VERY generous filling of the sandwiches, Jamie and Adam will vouch for that (thank you Chef, the sandwiches were par excellence). So, that is just the sandwiches, you can bet your boots that the main menu in the Arlington or the Bistro will be stunning, Chef certainly knows what it takes to prepare fantastic food.
Well, that is about it. Just to recap, my single room was refurbished, but I am sure that all of the roomes, refurbished or not, will be of the highest standard.
Once again, many thanks to ALL of the staff and management at The Imperial Hotel (I do not have your names). Reception, I hope you enjoyed the chocs, it was the least I could do.
Last but not least is our Chambermaids, thank you all for keeping my room spotlessly clean, hope you liked the card. It is a good system that the Chambermaids rotate on the rooms and that all gratuities to the Chambermaids are pooled and shared out.
I would not hesitate to recommend The Imperial Hotel to anyone wishing to find that something special, for this hotel is just that, very special.
Looking forward to my next vist.
Best wishes,
Roger.
City of London.

Room Tip: If possible a room overlooking the river Taw, the views are very nice.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Roger F
BrendHotels, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 March 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review of The Imperial Hotel following your recent stay with us.

You have touched upon many aspects, each in a very positive manner, but it is most pleasing to read how much you enjoyed the food served to you and the friendliness of our team of staff.

I very much hope we can welcome you back once again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 March 2014

A fine example of traditional West Country hospitality. The Imperial enjoys the ideal location, with views of the river. Guests are made welcome from the time of arrival. Breakfast is splendid. WiFi was speedy and free. Parking is ample. The town centre is a short walk away.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I am most glad that you felt the staff were 'friendly and efficient' and that our food was to a high standard.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 5 March 2014

A most enjoyable weekend in a very good 4 star hotel. I was initially booked into a twin room as single occupancy, paid a little bit more, but the room was excellent. As this is an old building and the wet weather has not been very kind, there was a musty smell in the bathroom but opening the window on the 1st latch solved the problem. All the staff were very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. If they hadn't got what you asked for it was provided very quickley. A large hotel carpark at the rear of the building off the lane as well as the spaces to the front. I stayed on for a couple of extra nights, booked on line for a single room and moved on the sunday, again an excellent room. I could not fault the food or the service in the restaurant or the bistro. I would like to thank all the staff for a most enjoyeble stay and will recommend to anyone who wants a relaxing upmarket place to stay. Gents don't forget a shirt and tie as the restaurant is formal after 6.30pm. I hope we all return in a couple of years time

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review of The Imperial Hotel and for scoring us to highly. It is so pleasing that you chose to spend your Reunion Weekend with us and I am glad that your stay was most enjoyable.

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back once more in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We only stayed one night,but everything was excellent.the room and en-suite were spotless.We were warmly greeted by the receptionist who was very helpful.The hotel is classic in design,and feels more luxurious than many chain hotels,would highly recommend it for a quiet relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: We were at the back of the hotel and there is some road noise in the morning
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 March 2014

I have stayed here a number of times in the past and this visit was just as good as ever. The really great thing about this hotel is the quality of the staff. They always greet you as a friend and make you feel really welcome. Close behind is the quality of the food and as usual I put on several pounds! The rooms are fine, the location really pleasant and I left feeling that I had had a good break.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Park Hotel
#1 of 4 in Woolacombe
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
The Woolacombe Bay Hotel
#2 of 4 in Woolacombe

Been to The Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!