“A real treat”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Barnstaple
Newport
“A real treat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2014

We stayed at the Imperial Barnstable for a four day break, the special offers are very good value for money. The food is first class for quality, the only improvement would be if the menus were extended to offer some healthy options like a salad or something lighter. The standard fare is often cooked in butter, cream and cheese, though very tasty it can be a bit heavy going for the older person.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
Salisbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 March 2014

Having stayed a fair number of times at the Imperial we thought the last one was the best ever. Service, friendliness, food ,accomodation etc. has always been good but it would take a lot to top this stay. Our room beautifully clean, this time was at the back but being on the third floor had a view over the roof tops to see the hills. Food was, as ever excellent, served by very pleasant attentive staff. A good area for walkers and a stones throw from the bus staion for those who prefer to ride,also easy access to the coast by car. Will be again for our October break.

Room Tip: If you are at the back of the hotel choose the third floor,quieter and a view over the roof tops. F...
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

BrendHotels, General Manager at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for your review of The Imperial Hotel, Barnstaple.

Your comments regarding our hard working staff members across all departments are lovely to read, and be assured these will be passed on to them via our 'review board' located in our staff room.

It is also great to read that you enjoyed your dining experience with us here at The Imperial; this is something we pride ourselves so comments such as these are very much appreciated, particularly by our team of chefs.

It is also great to hear that you have stayed with us many times before and I very much hope we can welcome you back once again in the very near future.
Worcester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2014

Had a two night weekend break at the imperial. Very friendly and efficient staff.Superb food,lovely room, Exellent value for the price we paid. Will definitely book here again!!Great that we were able to take our small pet dog millie.

1 Thank stanner1968
Thank you for your review of The Imperial Hotel and for scoring us to highly.

I am most glad that you felt the staff were 'friendly and efficient' and that our food was to a high standard.

I am particularly pleased that you found the hotel had a friendly atmosphere and that the staff are very professional in their work.

With regards to Millie, we are always happy to accept dogs in our Rivercourt building, especially as it made your break so much more enjoyable.

We hope to welcome you back again very soon.
Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2014

The staff at the Imperial are very helpfull and make you feel welcome. The restaurant runs like clockwork and delivers good food with an accent on local produce. Our room at the back of the hotel (218) had recently been redecorated in a modern but elegant style. The room was quiet and had distant views,over the roof tops, of the hills around Barnstaple. We have visited many times and would, and do, recommend the hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: All rooms are clean and comfortable although they are all individual in size and layout. You pay ex...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
BrendHotels, Martin Felgate GM at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Thank you for your recent review and for scoring us so highly.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us once again and that you found the service of our staff to be of a very high standard; that is something we strive for!.

I am most pleased that you found the hotels location ‘perfect’ for visiting the local shops and your recently refurbished room with distant rural views spotlessly clean.

As you have mentioned, our refurbishment programme is on-going and after completing 6 bedrooms last autumn we are now refurbishing a few more ready for spring.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back in April and again in August!!.
Gloucester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Excellent hotel - great staff, friendly and efficient service, - made to feel welcome as soon as you arrive - superb food and dining facilities - splendid rooms - comfortable lounges - we've been visiting for over ten years and always look forward to our next visit.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Michael O
BrendHotels, Martin Felgate, GM at The Imperial Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Many thanks for your glowing review of The Imperial Hotel following your recent stay with us.

Your repeat visits to both The Imperial and other of our hotels are gratefully appreciated and I am so glad that you find your time with us comfortable & relaxing.

Your comments regarding our food quality & staff are great to hear, and be assured they will be passed on both through our Heads of Department meetings & review board.

We look forward to seeing you both again very very soon.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2014

Forget about the rest, The Imperial Hotel is without a doubt, the VERY best.
From the moment on my arrival at the front entrance I was greeted with a cheerful ''good afternoon sir, may I help you with your suitecase''. I knew straight away that this was going to be a very pleasureable experience, and I was not wrong.
Let us start with the ambience, it is very pleasing on the eye, classic and comfortable with that feeling and touch of luxury.
I had a single room (202) that had been refurbished, it was stunning and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was an absolute knockout! The bed was extremely comfortable, I slept like a log. The view was of the clock tower and the river Taw.
Having attended a family bereavement, I spent three days relaxing and enjoying the comforts of this fine hotel. The staff were all fantastic, always there should you need them, without hovering over your shoulder. I only wish that my stay here could have been longer, I never did get to dine in the Arlington restaurant or the Bistro (for the Arlington, dress is formal gentlemen), I will remedy that on my next visit.
Still, all was not lost; I spent most of my time in the Colours bar. How very nice, a good selection of drinks and food. During my time in the Colours bar, I was looked after by Jamie, Adam, and Tracey, it was as if I had known them for years (my thanks to you all), whilst enjoying my Smoked Salmon and Beef sandwiches, washed down by draught Worthing and large Barcdi and Cokes, pure luxury, excellent. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality and VERY generous filling of the sandwiches, Jamie and Adam will vouch for that (thank you Chef, the sandwiches were par excellence). So, that is just the sandwiches, you can bet your boots that the main menu in the Arlington or the Bistro will be stunning, Chef certainly knows what it takes to prepare fantastic food.
Well, that is about it. Just to recap, my single room was refurbished, but I am sure that all of the roomes, refurbished or not, will be of the highest standard.
Once again, many thanks to ALL of the staff and management at The Imperial Hotel (I do not have your names). Reception, I hope you enjoyed the chocs, it was the least I could do.
Last but not least is our Chambermaids, thank you all for keeping my room spotlessly clean, hope you liked the card. It is a good system that the Chambermaids rotate on the rooms and that all gratuities to the Chambermaids are pooled and shared out.
I would not hesitate to recommend The Imperial Hotel to anyone wishing to find that something special, for this hotel is just that, very special.
Looking forward to my next vist.
Best wishes,
Roger.
City of London.

Room Tip: If possible a room overlooking the river Taw, the views are very nice.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Roger F
Thank you for taking the time to post such a glowing review of The Imperial Hotel following your recent stay with us.

You have touched upon many aspects, each in a very positive manner, but it is most pleasing to read how much you enjoyed the food served to you and the friendliness of our team of staff.

I very much hope we can welcome you back once again in the near future.
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2014

A fine example of traditional West Country hospitality. The Imperial enjoys the ideal location, with views of the river. Guests are made welcome from the time of arrival. Breakfast is splendid. WiFi was speedy and free. Parking is ample. The town centre is a short walk away.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you again and I hope to welcome you back in the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Barnstaple
Barnstaple Hotel
Premier Inn Barnstaple Hotel
Watersmeet Hotel
Watersmeet Hotel
#1 of 4 in Woolacombe

Been to The Imperial Hotel? Share your experiences!